dropping maths ext 2 for eng ext 1??? (1 Viewer)

Lexie1001

HSC
hey guys, im doiong 4u at the mo and the teacher is REALLLYYYYY bad. past sudents have had to go and get tutors just to get above band 5. plus she's the head of department so its a bit hard to complain without some repurcussions. eg we were goin over complex numbers, and we came to a pretty hard q so she says 'this is a bit hard to explain in words so ill just give you the answer and you can work it out yourselves at home' so yeh...not the greatest response.

two ppl in my class have already dropped so im left with this super smart asian girl so i have no hope of a first ranking and no one to share my confusement with. however ive only got 10u + philosophy distinction course which doesnt count. I was thinking of picking up ex 1 eng again cos the teacher is really good...but i dont really like english, prefer maths.

sorry for the rant, but i'd like to know your thoughts on this...if anyone has had the same issues or any advice.

erin_tonkin

HSC
if u only have 10 units then that kinda sucks. is there any other extensions you can pick up. If you really dont like english then ext mite be a pain in the arse not only 4 u but also for ur fellow students. unless you are not the whingey type. Ext english is not bad. i really like it. depending what topic your school is doing . crime fiction is really interesting and the work is not very hard if you are good at bulshitting

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Lexie1001 said:
hey guys, im doiong 4u at the mo and the teacher is REALLLYYYYY bad. past sudents have had to go and get tutors just to get above band 5. plus she's the head of department so its a bit hard to complain without some repurcussions. eg we were goin over complex numbers, and we came to a pretty hard q so she says 'this is a bit hard to explain in words so ill just give you the answer and you can work it out yourselves at home' so yeh...not the greatest response.

two ppl in my class have already dropped so im left with this super smart asian girl so i have no hope of a first ranking and no one to share my confusement with. however ive only got 10u + philosophy distinction course which doesnt count. I was thinking of picking up ex 1 eng again cos the teacher is really good...but i dont really like english, prefer maths.

sorry for the rant, but i'd like to know your thoughts on this...if anyone has had the same issues or any advice.
Some points:

*Distinction courses can contribute toward your UAI, so you don't have the '10 units' issue.

*I'd advise against doing the English Extension course if you don't like english at all, because you will likely underperform due to disinterest and thus it would be a waste of your time. Alternatively, the effort required to do well in a course you dislike may distract you from your other courses unneccesarily and lower your marks that way.

*If you like maths, why not keep the course and try out a tutor for a while and see if you do better? It can't do too much harm and you can see if you can cope in the course or not.

Lexie1001

HSC
thanks for your ideas...id like to get a tutor because that is the only way i can do 4u but im just worried bout the extra cost to my parents cos they want to get me a physics tutor as well. yeah i dont have the 10 best units issue with uai, but philosophy doesnt count for the hsc units, just the uai if that makes sense. i wouldnt whinge about hating eng ex 1 but i wouldnt have any motivation.

our school does the module 'texts and ways of thinking' if anyone knows what that one's like.

P

pLuvia

Well that's not a very good Head Teacher :p Try getting a tutor, in my opinion private tutors are not necessary for maths, but if you don't understand things fast then go for the private

I currently go to North Shore, others are like PRIOR, Pre-uni

Riviet

HSC
N/A
If you like maths more, you should definitely stick with it, even though there's a smart asian student and your teacher is not very helpful. A private tutor is your best bet and learning the course yourself will provide to be a challenge worth doing.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Lexie1001 said:
thanks for your ideas...id like to get a tutor because that is the only way i can do 4u but im just worried bout the extra cost to my parents cos they want to get me a physics tutor as well. yeah i dont have the 10 best units issue with uai, but philosophy doesnt count for the hsc units, just the uai if that makes sense. i wouldnt whinge about hating eng ex 1 but i wouldnt have any motivation.
Is it possible that you could take up a Board Endorsed course then to fill up that last unit? I know TAFE offers heaps and heaps of those - alot of schools do as well.

Lexie1001 said:
our school does the module 'texts and ways of thinking' if anyone knows what that one's like.
The second module is called Texts and Ways of Thinking, and it offers the electives: Individual & Society, Postmodernism and Retreat from the Global. This module examines the sets of assumptions, values, concepts and practices that constitute a way of viewing and composing literature.

If you do the Individual & Society elective then you will study the ideas behind nineteenth century literature such as Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice among others. I'm not quite sure about the other two though...

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Go for a maths tutor instead of a physics one... since physics is 70% or so recall (just remembering stuff); why'd u need a tutor for that :D

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yeah, do maths if you're interested. If tutoring is not a financial possibility, any chance of asking friends from other schools, or posting up questions on here from time to time? Eng Ext is good if you know how to bullshit, but it is a lot of work for a one unit course. I did Individual and Society--I had to read 1000-page novels...ok, maybe not, but the reading is extensive. The other two 'themes' within the Texts and Ways of Thinking module--RFTG, and po-mo, no idea.

Lexie1001

HSC
thanks for all your advice everyone...im thinking ill stick with 4u cos at least ill enjoy it plus maybe i can get a tutor for it anyway. eng ext is a lot of reading to catch up on - i dont think i could be bothered with it. oh well....with all this hsc stuff u just gotta do your best really.

joesmith1975

In front on my computer not doing I should be doin
HSC
i did english extension but dropped it for 4u maths because it was so boring and got to know how to bullshit a question for pages and pages. are any of the maths teachers at your school good at 4 u maths?? If you have any problems post them up and get some help? If you get a tutor make sure its a good one that knows what they are talking about.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
YBK said:
Go for a maths tutor instead of a physics one... since physics is 70% or so recall (just remembering stuff); why'd u need a tutor for that :D
Unfortunately we'll be tested more on writing skills than maths skills in the HSC exam, it's like a 1:3 ratio of writing:maths. It used to be heavily based on maths but then it benefitted all the maths nerds that did all the sciences and 4 units of maths so they changed the syllabus to make it fairer.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Riviet said:
Unfortunately we'll be tested more on writing skills than maths skills in the HSC exam, it's like a 1:3 ratio of writing:maths. It used to be heavily based on maths but then it benefitted all the maths nerds that did all the sciences and 4 units of maths so they changed the syllabus to make it fairer.
As my teacher put it, all the girls were failing (or just not doing nearly as well as the boys), and so they changed the papers from all numbers (look at an exam paper from 1960-1980: it's about 3 pages long and all numbers) to written questions (now we get 10 page long papers with lots of words). Since girls tended to be better at interpreting written questions, and worse at interpreting pure numbers (vice versa for boys), they were doing crap with the old papers. Now they're doing far, far better than they were.

I_F

joe1016

HSC
i do 4 u maths and ext english, if you like maths stick with it, ext is a lot of reading and if ur not a fan of english it could be hard. good luck with the teacher tho.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
lexie said:

figure outsomething through fatalism, philosophsing lamo.

kami said:
*Distinction courses can contribute toward your UAI, so you don't have the '10 units' issue.
But not having 10 units in the HSC does not enable you for a HSC, which is a minimum requirement by many many organsiations. "Hey guys, I'm really smart, I've got a kickass 99 uai, but no hsc :("

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)