Need advice. Should I drop ext 1 math? (1 Viewer)

CramMaster

HSC
Hey guys. Right now I'm doing Ext1 Math, Ext2 Eng, Economics and Ancient History.

Its now Term 2, and I really feel like dropping ext1 math (weird yea...for an asian :p). I love my other subs including 2U math, but 3 Unit math is seriously giving me a hard time. I'm not motivated to do any hw, and I got 35% in my last assessment. Its just that I find it really risky if I do only 10 units...but I will feel so much better?

What do you guys suggest? What are the pros/cons?

Thanks!

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Find it too hard?
Find it boring?
Find it impossible to be motivated for?
Find it too hard to put in the effort to try and get better marks?

In your situation the answer would lean more to dropping extension 1 maths, and it won't be a risk if you drop it and have only 10 units, as long as you put in the effort in the other subjects. Really depends on whether you think you cna do much better dropping extension 1 maths.

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
if your confindent in your abilities in your other subjects then by all means drop it. No point spending wasted time in class while you can have a free period.

HSC
CramMaster said:
Hey guys. Right now I'm doing Ext1 Math, Ext2 Eng, Economics and Ancient History.

Its now Term 2, and I really feel like dropping ext1 math (weird yea...for an asian :p). I love my other subs including 2U math, but 3 Unit math is seriously giving me a hard time. I'm not motivated to do any hw, and I got 35% in my last assessment. Its just that I find it really risky if I do only 10 units...but I will feel so much better?

Thanks!
What's even weirder about you being Asian is that you're doing Ext2 Eng :p

I dont really know your situation, but I think you should keep ext1 math:

*I think its risky to keep 10 units unless they are so much better than your 3U mark it's not going to matter..

*what do you want to do for uni? if you are doing something like engineering or some sciences or something you may need the three unit background knowledge, its worth keeping it for that alone...

*3 unit helps your two unit so much.

*it may end up counting towards your uai...I wanted to drop it too (to go back to ten units) but I ended up keeping it and it counted to my uai. I put more work into three unit and i improved (slightly, but it was enough to make me keep it), I'm sure you can do the same :)

I think it's too early to drop it, especially seeing as though you only have 11 units. I say keep it at least till the half yearly and see how you go. If you still haven't improved and dropping it is the most practical thing to do, drop it then. That's my advice anyway hope that helps :wave:

Last edited:

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
Yeah its only one unit so what i would do is kep it for now unitl the 1/2 year;ys at least...its just that extra bit of security for ur uai...if u find that afer 1/2 yrly u cant stand it then i would consider dropping it and focusing on ur other units more

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
CramMaster said:

Thanks!
Ahahaha, love your username XD

Do you find it hard to keep up, and understand things being taught? If you think that you're gonna have to spend heaps more time in order to get a mark you want, then you should probably drop it and have more time for other subjects. (That's my case for French :p) But if you think that you could manage if you do your hw (without having to spend whole days on it to keep up), you should just keep it for now :D

CramMaster

HSC
Thanks guys for your advice.

I think i will keep Ext1 Math till the next assessments. Soulsearcher: I answered yes to all your questions. :D

But is there really a point I guess? im getting 80% + in my others subs including 2U math (90%), so i guess those frees would be more beneficial. What do you guys think?

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
Sometimes frees aren't always a "good thing". 10 units can be harder to keep motivated, you have less work, less deadlines and generally laziness starts to kick in... so all those free periods you earnt up are wasted and you're no better off.

Personally, I find that I work better with more workload, and more deadlines, pressures etc.... it gets the work done and keeps me going with continual study and work rather than sporadic study sessions and more regular breaks :p

ali.falfa

HSC
Im also having trouble working out whether of not to drop subjects. All depends on if you think you will do better in your other one's but I reckon ten units is the way to go. I have 13 at the moment and I am definitly going to get rid of a few. It will give you more time to work on the subjects you enjoy.

pc4pc

HSC
from what i gather from you, i suggest you drop. it would sound like a complete waste of time doing that extra unit. but then again, how are you in your other subjects?

Platinum

HSC
Wow, my first post...anyways...

I would probably drop extension...but then again what ranking are you getting at your school? I mean say if it was a really hard test and the top mark was 45 then you're going alright.

I dropped Extension at the end of Year 11, since my ranking for it was the worst out of all of my subjects (12/26), but also since if I stuck with it I'd have 14 units for my HSC....which would be impossible!

My teacher for Extension was crap to say the least, but my new Advanced teacher is great. Also, my marks for Advanced have improved a lot since I dropped Extension (coincidence?)

So yeah...guess it's up to you.

jaaaaay

HSC
i would drop if i was getting 35% in anything... o_O

especially since you seem to be doing pretty well in your other subjects - doing a subject you really hate and aren't doing too well in is probably a waste of time.

focus the extra time you're not using for maths into your other subjects.
good luck =]

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
As mentioned above frees arent always good...i was doing 12 units with 9 frees a fortnight and most of that time was wasted messing bout with my friend rather than actually doing work...but that could just be me.

Last edited:
HSC
CramMaster said:
But is there really a point I guess? im getting 80% + in my others subs including 2U math (90%), so i guess those frees would be more beneficial. What do you guys think?

You're just soft...man up and keep the unit its not going to kill you!

stephenchow

HSC
jaaaaay said:
i would drop if i was getting 35% in anything... o_O

especially since you seem to be doing pretty well in your other subjects - doing a subject you really hate and aren't doing too well in is probably a waste of time.

focus the extra time you're not using for maths into your other subjects.
good luck =]
Expect to just get over a pass during your ext 2 maths assessments and exams unless your godly at maths.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
If you're going to do shit in it then its not much of a "back up" subject is it, if you stuff up something else.

HSC
At the rate the OP is going yes, but provided there is no real improvement (and there's plenty of room for it) then I don't see a reason to drop it at this stage. But I suppose from the sound of things the improvement isn't happening or going to happen any time soon...

jaaaaay

HSC
stephenchow said:
Expect to just get over a pass during your ext 2 maths assessments and exams unless your godly at maths.
i got 70% in my last 4u maths assessment... should i be expecting lower in the half yearlies and stuff?? o_O
doesn't it depend on your school? maybe hornsby girls just set exams less harshly ^^;;

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
I did 3u maths in year 11, I didn't do that well in it and I didn't like it much but at first I was going to keep it for year 12 and was confident I could improve etc. In the end I decided to drop it and it felt so much better not worrying about it and not turning up to classes after school. I would have had 14 units if I kept it though, so I was in a slightly different situation as OP.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Haha I'm keeping ext1 maths even though I don't know more than about 20% of the content that we learnt from prelim (serious about that). My average marks from last year were about 10-35%, where in the yearly I got 15%. I havn't done ext 1 homework for a while lol, yet I'm still keeping it for year 12, only to help me in 2u maths...eventhough I know it's not going to count in my other 10 units.

Basically, if you know that dropping it won't hurt, then keep it. If you know that you will benefit HEAPS if you drop it, then drop it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)