2 Unit Maths???? (1 Viewer)

blahmeh

HSC
Hey guys, I think this is the right place to put this,

but im in yr10, and we have subject choice forms due in this Thursday, and i am really confused about maths.

I could do 3 unit maths as in I would have the ability to do it, but i don't enjoy maths too much, so i will be at disadvantage if i did 2 unit maths and did well in it- as opposed to doing 3 unit maths?

I hope my question makes sense.

the reason i want to do low ---er maths it because I want to do both histories next yr, eco AND 2 religion, and maybe pick up history ext in yr 12.

Ironically, the courses i am interested at uni need Maths for their courses (Commerce courses.)

Koolies
People

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

tara2713

HSC
Hello,

In general when you do a course that is only 2 unit, to achieve a good UAI you must do pretty good for it to impact on the final score. If you chose to do 3 unit maths, you still need a pretty good score but not as high, for it to impact the same amount. So if you think that you can do well in 2 unit maths and achieve a relatively good mark, then just do 2 unit.
I hope that all makes sense to you. My Maths teacher explained it to me last year, as i started doing 3 unit mathematics in year 11 but dropped it so that i could focus on doing better in 2 unit maths.
Hope that helps you, i'm new to this site so i'm still learning.
Tara...

Liqqeh

HSC
You could do ext. 1 maths and see how you go with it. I'd suggest just trying it out and see how well you can manage it along with your other subjects. After you've done a few assessments and/or you half yearly, you can judge whether you may like to continue it, or if you'd like to continue with it. But yeah, just give it a try, you can drop Ext. 1 at any time :) If you can manage the workload, then I don't see it being a worry.

williamc

HSC
blahmeh said:
I could do 3 unit maths as in I would have the ability to do it, but i don't enjoy maths too much, so i will be at disadvantage if i did 2 unit maths and did well in it- as opposed to doing 3 unit maths?
I was in a similar position to you when in year 10. I wanted to do a Commerce degree or similar. (now B Economics and Applied Finance) I choose to do 3 units maths in year 11, just to help me with my 2 unit originally. I always had the mindset of dropping down to 2 unit in year 12 and killing it, and even when i wasnt studying for tests i was getting 40-45% (3 unit). I sort of regret that now, knowing that i am capable of 3 unit, so atleast try your best in 3 unit. I say pick 3 unit and drop it if you can't handle it and it will help for year 12 2 unit.

blahmeh said:
the reason i want to do low ---er maths it because I want to do both histories next yr, eco AND 2 religion, and maybe pick up history ext in yr 12.

Ironically, the courses i am interested at uni need Maths for their courses (Commerce courses.)
Subjects you could choose:
3 unit maths
English(you choose level, recommendign advanced)
Modern history
Ancient History
Economics
2 unit religion
= 13 units (i assume Catholic school)

You could drop a subject at the end of year 11 or an extension and do extension history in year 12. Although, from what i have been told i wouldn't recommend extension history. It doesn't scale particualr well for an extension subjetc and is alot of work.

Yer to get into most uni's for Commerce related degress you need 2 unit maths or higher (band 2)

Last edited:

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
I would also advise doing Extension. If you find it too hard, you can drop it later. But give it a fair go for a while. 13 Units isn't too bad in Prelim, as it's only one above the minimum.

If you later decide you don't like a subject you have chosen, decide not to take up History Ext or decide to drop Ext Maths, you'll have more options.

Plus Extension really does help with 2 Unit.

Sofstar

HSC
I assume for the commerce uni courses, it's Mathematics (2units). Doing 3u will give you greater flexibility as you can drop/not drop. Up to you.

HSC
wow... an '09er. us '07ers are feeling old:mad1:

do 3u maths, you dont even need to do that well in it, but the stuff you learn in 3u will help you do 2u and since people that do 3u are ranked with the 2u guys, you should do better if you're a 3u person. saay for example, the highest ranked 2u guy is coming like 15th or 18th or something. that's because all the 3u people are killing the ranks.

i dunno if that made any sense to you, but yeh... do extension maths.

miss-smexy

HSC
blahmeh said:
Hey guys, I think this is the right place to put this,

but im in yr10, and we have subject choice forms due in this Thursday, and i am really confused about maths.

I hope my question makes sense.

Koolies
People

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
I love 2unit maths. I did 3 unit maths in preliminary and i wasn't fantastic at it and I hated every maths lesson... because it was like maths every single day of the week! But now that I do 2unit maths I look forward to my lessons.

I'm also going to do commerce courses at uni so I don't think that it is a problem if you don't do extension. My careers adviser said to do anything you're good at. So I'm doing ext 2 eng and ext history? which is totally unrelated to commerce.

I wish I did 1U religion too. It looks easy and fun.

xXconfusedXx

in the dark
HSC
3unit maths definitely helped to boost my UAI. Really the subjects we do in year 11 and 12 is just to help us prepare for uni (at least thats how i see it). If you need 3 unit maths for whatever you want to do in uni then do 3unit maths. It's not compulsory but it definitely helps.
However if you don't like maths then there's no point doing.

blahmeh

HSC
thanks all for replying could always count on u bosers

i handed in my form, doing 2 unit maths, my friends have scolded me and i know my teacher is bound to -

but hey...is it a crime to like history and english more than maths? :rofl:

ya..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)