13 units? Should I drop Maths Extension 1? (1 Viewer)

bubblybrooke3

HSC
Currently I have 13 units (English (Advanced), English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Visual Art, Music 1, Mathematics, Maths Extension 1, Modern History). Is this too a large workload? I am thinking of dropping maths extension, as I don't like it and I get stressed easily, but I am doing well in it. Advice?

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Since Visual Arts and Music 1 don't large workloads compared to other subjects like Chemistry, Physics, etc, I'd suggest keeping all 13 units (if you are doing well in them). From what I know (I'm assuming maths extension incorporates maths 2 unit syllabus along with extra topics) if you change your mind and decide to drop Maths Ext 1 later in the year, it won't have such an impact, as the more practice you have in maths (studying, etc) will help you build your overall skills that will aid you if you drop down to maths 2 unit.

chltmddus112

HSC
Quite a lot of people in my school does similar to you.

English Ext2 and Maths Ext1, and they said they are alrite.

If i were u, i'd keep 13units, but if u r too stressed with maths, then u better drop it.

jackreid11

HSC
Doing ext. 1 maths can help you heaps with your 2 unit because you will be used to working harder problems and you will have had more class time over the year.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
i think theres a bit of a trap people fall into in regards to having >10 units. which is that sometimes the desire to have only your best 10 counting overshadows the possiblity that doing so many subjects can have negative effects on YOUR OVERALL totals. i.e say i was doing 14 units, and i kinda bummed a couple of my subjects but those 4 units didnt end up counting, its possible that having 4 extra units could have brought me down in overall performance, than if hypothetically i had only been doing 10 units, and although i have no unit advantage to fall back on, the less workload overall could keep me at my best for those 10 units.

bubblybrooke3 said:
Currently I have 13 units (English (Advanced), English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Visual Art, Music 1, Mathematics, Maths Extension 1, Modern History). Is this too a large workload? I am thinking of dropping maths extension, as I don't like it and I get stressed easily, but I am doing well in it. Advice?

Cerry

HSC
Ethanescence said:
Since Visual Arts and Music 1 don't large workloads compared to other subjects like Chemistry, Physics, etc, I'd suggest keeping all 13 units (if you are doing well in them).
Yeah, art just has a major work on top of the theory, and Music only has up to four compositions, performances and/or viva voces to do for the year. It's definitely not like it's two major work subjects.

Anywho, if you don't like Ext 1 maths, then there's not much point in keeping it, since you'll still have 12 units. If you don't like it, you probably won't work very hard at it, and it's just extra work that you're not enjoying that probably doesn't count for much.

Qn

HSC
jackreid11 said:
Doing ext. 1 maths can help you heaps with your 2 unit because you will be used to working harder problems and you will have had more class time over the year.
Totally agree ! Even if you just keep doing it right up to the start of the exams and putting a half hearted effort in and then drop it, you will have a much better grounding of all the 2U concepts etc.

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
Consider if you think you can make the time for two major works since both Visual Arts and English Ext 2 have that. Do you think you can fit other class work around it?

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
keep it.
least till half yearlies

if you dont do that good/dont like it

drop down to 2u

dolbinau

HSC
Yeah, art just has a major work on top of the theory, and Music only has up to four compositions, performances and/or viva voces to do for the year. It's definitely not like it's two major work subjects.
I reckon. I put much more work into Music, much more than any other one of my subjects (Physics, Advanced English 3u Maths Bio SOR 1) for very little gain in the end too [Since it doesn't scale well]

Music is very underrated.

It might be a late but I'd drop either Music or Art assuming you can do well in 3u.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)