Scaling averages for general maths (1 Viewer)

kateemily

HSC
Hey, currently my average for general maths is about 83 and in the exam i know ill come away with 87 easily, but hopefully around 90+. just wondering what thet would scale to if my raw internal and external averages around 86-7? i would love to get a band 6, but dont know how likely that is without scaling

Jay-Tee

HSC
I have heard that unless you get a band six in General Maths, you get pretty badly scaled.

Macdwg

Professional Mad Lad
HSC
She's not talking about the contribution to the UAI. She's talking about the BOS scaling of raw marks. To answer you're question an 86/87 might scale to 88-89. Basically anything over 90 does not change, so in order to get a 95 you will need to get 95 raw.

sam5

HSC
She's not talking about the contribution to the UAI. She's talking about the BOS scaling of raw marks. To answer you're question an 86/87 might scale to 88-89. Basically anything over 90 does not change, so in order to get a 95 you will need to get 95 raw.
ur wrong. the BOS dont scale marks, thats what UAC does for the ATAR calculation. The BOS align marks, which this OP is talkin bout. I dont do gen maths so i dont know. Alignment cant be good either...

tku336

HSC
Er, you need well over 95% to scale to 95 in 2maths.

Venom.

HSC
Isn't General a capped course? If you get 100% even, its scaled to 90?

youngminii

Banned
HSC
General maths is capped at 91 as scaled mark. Don't come back here in two months saying 'omgomg i got over 91 you liar' 'cause that's completely different and you have no idea what you're talking about.

Anyway, general maths scales horribly.

kateemily

HSC
im quite happy if i come out with the same mark that i get in the examcan someone please explain capping to me? i cnt believe ive never heard of this until now

Venom.

HSC
Capping means that its such an easy course, that even if you get 100, it gets scaled down to 91 when they're taking it into account for the UAI.

Macdwg

Professional Mad Lad
HSC
The fact it caps at 91 has minimal influence on your UAI so long as your not going for 99+. If you're aiming for about 95 like me then you're sweet. And by the way, BOS Scales marks as well, then they align. Those scaled marks just aren't used in your UAI calculation as UAC do their own scaling with you're raw marks.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
The fact that' it's capped at 91 has massive implications for your UAI. That's if you get 100. If you don't then you're royally fucked.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Isn't General a capped course? If you get 100% even, its scaled to 90?
Yes. But people in this thread are using the terms scaling and aligning interchangeably. They do not mean the same thing!

Anyway, i believe that the OP is talking about the aligning of raw marks.
anything above 90 doesnt get scaled down!
Lies, neg repped.
General maths is capped at 91 as scaled mark. Don't come back here in two months saying 'omgomg i got over 91 you liar' 'cause that's completely different and you have no idea what you're talking about.

Anyway, general maths scales horribly.
Aha, yeah. Noobs tend to do stuff like that XD

The fact that' it's capped at 91 has massive implications for your UAI. That's if you get 100. If you don't then you're royally fucked.
LOL, most people don't have high UAI aims anyway so they should be fine.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)