Advice please on whether to drop 2U Maths to General or not (2010 HSC NSW) (1 Viewer)

danicaftw

HSC
I'm currently doing 2U Maths in year 12 (first term) and I'm still contemplating whether or not to drop to General Maths (but someone just told me that it's too late to drop to General Maths because the course has already started??)
My exam results for the Prelim Course are as follows: 54% for the half yearly and 52% for the yearly. That was pretty much consistently completing homework. Some people have told me to "study harder" but I tried and that's the best I could do.
Is it worth keeping 2U maths and doing 50s or would i be off better dropping to General maths and getting 80-90s?
By the way my rank is around 109/140 so that is crappy.
Thanks for the advice.

_trickster_

Currently High
HSC
no, dont, youre just gonna re do the same stuff in yr10

also, they're essentially the same, general scales worse

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
see how its goes, and you can drop to general whenever you want.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Either find some way to get better marks in 2U maths or drop maths altogether.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
IF you're getting 50s in 2U you won't get 90s in General. It's not that simple. Keep 2U, and actually use a textbook and work extra finishing questions, and do past appers etc. Get yourself a tutor.

jet

Banned
HSC
It's probably not smart to drop to general - scaling won't do you any good.

Perhaps your study method isn't as effective as you might think it is. if you aren't doing past papers then you pretty much aren't studying, from a maths perspective.

Maybe consider getting yourself a tutor? (There are some pretty good ones advertising on BOS :p)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
It's probably not smart to drop to general - scaling won't do you any good.

Perhaps your study method isn't as effective as you might think it is. if you aren't doing past papers then you pretty much aren't studying, from a maths perspective.

Maybe consider getting yourself a tutor? (There are some pretty good ones advertising on BOS :p)
Like yourself XD

Seriously, do not drop or drop maths altogether if you're not willing to follow the advice given in this thread.

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
I dropped from 2U to general at the beginning of this term, and it is the best decision I've made.
During prelim, I kept getting around the 40s for pretty much all my exams, and I worked really hard (probably double the time I spend on every other subject) throughout the year and got myself a tutor, and I dropped because all that hard work was for failing.
Anyway, I've just had my first general HSC assessment and I felt pretty good after it. The thing that makes general quite difficult is that the questions are very lengthy and its very easy to misread or misinterpret the questions. I've made myself read questions several times and highlight the main parts to make sure that I don't make that mistake.

If you decide to drop, just be willing to put in the effort on catching up on the preliminary course - but if you did the 5.3 Year 9/10 course, then you should be fine.
I know that the scaling for general is pretty crap, but if you do really well (mid to high 90s) then scaling won't affect your mark much, and a 90 in general is better than a 50 in 2unit.

jet

Banned
HSC
Like yourself XD

Seriously, do not drop or drop maths altogether if you're not willing to follow the advice given in this thread.
Lol :shy:

@OP: If you're competitive, and really care about your ATAR etc etc then stick with 2u and study/get a tutor/take out the competition *cough*.

If not, then go for general.

kyokaku92

HSC
Only decide what's right for you, if you believe you can improve, then by means continue with 2U or if you reckon you don't need maths at uni or are confident at smashing the general guys, then drop to general. 2U is quite doable and a pass is quite encouraging but you will need to work a little harder.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Work in the Preliminary General Course? That's a laugh - just look through any year 7 textbook and that's about it :p

Seriously, with 50 in 2u... that's a toughie. My teacher says anything below 40 should be dropped, because he says, "Even if you take in 100% of what I'm teaching you after this, you only got 20% of everything I taught you before - and you won't get 100% of what I teach you, you might get close, but no cigar. Those gaps add up."

I'd say keep it - and ask for help, from your parents, or your teacher, or the people in your class.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I dropped from 2U to general at the beginning of this term, and it is the best decision I've made.
During prelim, I kept getting around the 40s for pretty much all my exams, and I worked really hard (probably double the time I spend on every other subject) throughout the year and got myself a tutor, and I dropped because all that hard work was for failing.
Anyway, I've just had my first general HSC assessment and I felt pretty good after it. The thing that makes general quite difficult is that the questions are very lengthy and its very easy to misread or misinterpret the questions. I've made myself read questions several times and highlight the main parts to make sure that I don't make that mistake.

If you decide to drop, just be willing to put in the effort on catching up on the preliminary course - but if you did the 5.3 Year 9/10 course, then you should be fine.
I know that the scaling for general is pretty crap, but if you do really well (mid to high 90s) then scaling won't affect your mark much, and a 90 in general is better than a 50 in 2unit.
If you're getting 50 in 2U it's virtuallly impossible that you're gonna get 90 in General. Plus even at 100 General's scaling affects you pretty badly, it goes down to 91. That's terrible. Mid to high 90s will drag it down further. Best advice is do past papers. That's what will help you. IT gives exam experience and practice and that's essential in Maths. Don't drop to General, just drop to no Maths if 2U is too hard.

leungz

HSC
drop to General, if your marks dont improve up to your half yearly exam it is best that you drop whatever is best for your HSC
First of all it all depends on how many units u r doing, if ur doing 12 or more units i suggest u can keep mathematics or go to general but it wont count, so spend less time on it and focus on the subjects that do count.

For me my half yearly for 2 unit i got 35% and yearly i got 38% much worse than what you got so its all up to you

Remember Its your HSC

2010 HSC: Advanced English, Extension 1 English, General Mathematics, Ancient History, Modern History, History Extension, Economics, Business Studies
:love:- English Advanced & Extension, Ancient &Modern & Extension, Eco, Biz Studies
:argue:- General Mathematics (teacher bloody pms every day)

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
If you're getting 50 in 2U it's virtuallly impossible that you're gonna get 90 in General. Plus even at 100 General's scaling affects you pretty badly, it goes down to 91. That's terrible. Mid to high 90s will drag it down further. Best advice is do past papers. That's what will help you. IT gives exam experience and practice and that's essential in Maths. Don't drop to General, just drop to no Maths if 2U is too hard.
Actually, I got 95% for my first general exam and I got around 40/50 in 2U.
Check your facts before you blurt them out.

jet

Banned
HSC
If you're truly concerned about your ATAR, then you won't do general - highest UAI received by an '08 HSC student was 99.65

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Actually, I got 95% for my first general exam and I got around 40/50 in 2U.
Check your facts before you blurt them out.
Is that 40 out of 50 or 40 or 50 out of 100? Also in your HSC that 95 isn't gonna show up as a 95. Even if on your Record of Achievement it says 95 that's gonna work out to like 80. Each to his own I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)