Notes advice + Maths advice (1 Viewer)

J

Jazzyy

Hey

I was just wondering how long it should take to do notes for my subjects?

I haven't made any notes since the start of the HSC course. I want to catch up for all my subjects before school starts in 2 weeks

PDHPE
Software
IPT
SOR2
Std English
Mathematics/General Maths

There's 2 weeks to go until the start of school again. Is this enough time to make thorough notes for all of my subjects?

Another problem I have is with Maths. I'm not going too well with Advanced Mathematics. I'm thinking of dropping to general Maths. With the right amount of application and effort, I'm fairly confident that I can get a very good mark in general maths (95+)

Will dropping from Advanced to General effect my chances of getting an ATAR of around 90? Especially while doing Standard English.

twistedrebel

HSC
Well You dont have to make notes for maths, you only do past papers so thats out of the question. Rest of subjects i dont so really cant tell you.

For maths what are you getting, and ask you teacher whats best, they usually know best.

Yes, chances of getting 90 will drop significantly with General. but doing better is General, compared to 20%~ 2u.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, that depends a lot on how you make your notes [handwritten generally takes longer], how much detail you include, how motivated you are [read: how much you procrastinate] and the subjects themselves. Like twistedrebel said, you don't really need notes for maths but I find writing out all the formulae in coloured texta helps me remember them, plus doing the past papers. I don't do any of your subjects either, but as long as you work hard enough, it should be possible.

With the maths thing, as far as I know adv maths does scale better, but 90+ ATAR is definitely still possible with general especially if you're confident in doing that well. Maybe keep it for a few more weeks and talk to your teacher about it, or something?

Good luck with whatever you decide though :]

suling

HSC
With notes I have found that, for some subjects, my class notes were fairly organised so it was really easy and quick to just copy them out under the appropriate syllabus dot points. Other subjects however have taken me a ridiculously long time because I didn't have that many notes as such and has to search through textbooks etc. to find information.

So basically it depends on the subject, how fast you can write/type, and how organised your information already is.

Oh, and it will also take longer if you take breaks 'just to have a cup of tea', I know this from experience. =P

ValentinesM

HSC
there's is no 'right' amount of time to making notes, as it depends on individual needs and committment. some people prefer their notes to be extensive, others want their notes to be brief.

but at this stage of your HSC, i would recommend you make very thorough notes, and continuously revise it throughout the year, eg by adding new information gathered from different sources.

with advanced mathematics, what's your performance like? what's your attitude towards it? if you're struggling, ask yourself if you're willing to pull up your marks, because it is true that General can dramatically influence your ATAR.

life92

HSC
for the notes, what my physics teacher made us do was
we got a book and wrote ONE dot point on ONE page and we just filled in that dot point whenever we could
having one page means you can fill in extra information later because there'll probably be extra space
and its convenient having all your notes in the one place
its just very time consuming but very useful in the end, especially if you make the notes detailed yet concise at the same time

as for the maths, if i were you i'd stick with adv math
general math will most likely adversely affect your atar
i dont know the general math syllabus, but wouldnt you have to catch up on a whole years work because its totally diff to adv?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Any self-respecting 2u student can do the General course very easily. It's a joke of a subject.

That being said, I'd rather you keep 2u unless you absolutely positively cannot handle it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)