Freaking out about maths. (1 Viewer)

NewiJapper

HSC
I have my trial for maths on wednesday and im completely flipping, i feel as if there is so much content i need to know to get a good mark i.e 95/120 would make me a happy man indeed as the band 6 cut off for math last year was around 93...?

I don't know how to prepare myself :/ Any advice would be amazing.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
I have my trial for maths on wednesday and im completely flipping, i feel as if there is so much content i need to know to get a good mark i.e 95/120 would make me a happy man indeed as the band 6 cut off for math last year was around 93...?

I don't know how to prepare myself :/ Any advice would be amazing.
resources section for past trials, however that might be too late, not much point starting study for trials like a day before

NewiJapper

HSC
Oh, Ive been doing past papers for the last 6 weeks but I'm just in a state were i feel i know nothing and i ALWAYS make stupid STUPID mistakes that i can never seem to correct :p it's a terrible habit of mine that i hate.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Do past exam questions on the topics you're not confident with.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
Oh, Ive been doing past papers for the last 6 weeks but I'm just in a state were i feel i know nothing and i ALWAYS make stupid STUPID mistakes that i can never seem to correct :p it's a terrible habit of mine that i hate.

just slow down in the exam, reread a question once you have done it, might be a little time consuming, but its kinda worth it considering the marks you lose when you make mistakes, besides its 2 unit, if you cruise through the first 1-4 questions you will make up some time

NewiJapper

HSC
I get usually almost 100% for the first 3q's then i start to go down hill. Exponentially.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I hear if you get below 95/120 you literally EXPLODE

On a more serious note, you are obviously a stress head. Perhaps some of these 'stupid mistakes' are because you lack the confidence to answer questions, that you already know how to, properly. Also, what others have said, you should review past papers or, better yet, identify specifically what topics you lack application in. It is better to focus on your weaknesses so you can obtain higher marks than simply letting them stay at an unsatisfactory level.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
I get usually almost 100% for the first 3q's then i start to go down hill. Exponentially.
^lol, that happens to me exactly at home. I get like a load of questions wrong, turns out brilliant during the exam though

chances are, you're lacking sleep//tired. I found this was the case with me.

Keep an open mind, memorise your formulae and keep a clear picture in your head. Regurgitate, rinse and repeat.. repeat after me.. rinse and repeat

Alliteration of 'r'

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Don't give up!

Continue to do more past papers, under timed conditions. Be AWARE of where most of your MISTAKES occur, and try to fix them.

At this stage, you should be going through the questions that you don't seem to get, topics that you're no so confident with, harder questions in the 2 unit paper (Q9 and Q10) and memorise all the formulas!

For tomorrow, select questions from past papers and textbooks (note I said select. Don't do easy questions as they would be a waste of time) and just keep practicing!
Do questions that involve a combination of topics as they can be tricky in the exams.

If you need help, ask on the maths forums.

NewiJapper

HSC
Thanks for the various advice guys, it does help :p I may seem like a stress head but Maths is the only subject I freak out about.

Also, just an idea. Do you think my math teacher would let me sit in on the 3 unit classes when they do harder 2 unit stufft?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
That's kinda pointless, but I don't see why not. They may ask for a note from your parents so they don't get in trouble when the school gets rung asking where you are.

NewiJapper

HSC
seeing as i have free periods when math ext 1 is on, I don't think my school would see it as a major problem haha. Just anything to help me grasp further knowledge into 2 unit work.

kcqn93

HSC
Nah it would be completely pointless to sit in the 3unit class... they'll revising for the 3unit trials really... lol

daryl-d

HSC
If you want to get good marks, don't use the textbook,
For the trial exams and half yearlies Teachers usually don't put similar types of questions from recent hsc papers (except maybe for Q9 or 10). My advice is to have a go at the 1986 -1992 past papers. It helped me so much that i got 119/120 at the trial. I also suggest repeating questions that you do not get so you get the idea of the proof eventually, and also when you have reading time in the test forget about Q1 -7, they are usually standard questions. Look at q 8 -10 and see if their are easy ways to prove them (i.e. use three unit techiniques like double angle formulae) etc. I hope this helps you and i wish you the best of luck at your up coming test, If you need nhelp with a couple of questions post them up:hammer:

Gold Lion

HSC
Haha you sound alot like me, I panic like crazy for exams and end up stuffing up to the max. I guess the best advice I can give you is my own personal experience with the HSC

I was doing pretty well all year and was ranking top 3 for pretty much every semester exam. For the final exam (HSC) didn't do all too much, only about 3 past papers and was getting alright in them (enough for mid band 5 to a 6)

When it came to the real deal I panicked like crazy and ended up finishing less than half of the paper, and somehow managed to get an 80 (which isn't a great mark but considering I was expecting like band 3 for how little I got done)

So I pretty much blame the lack of practise for how badly I did...So don't worry, if I can pull 80 with doing less than half the paper, you can surely pull anything higher, just practise heaps and try to overcome your exam stress in the process

beardedwoman

HSC
I'm freaking out about maths too... did poorly for my last MX1 and MX2 assessments (worth 20%, which means that 60% of my internals is complete). trials worth 40% it's do well or die for me.

kcqn93

HSC
Are 3U methods allowed in 2U exam?

I ask because 3U methods are no in 2U syllabus.
it doesn't matter what method you use unless they ask for a specific method such as simpsons rule or trapezoidal rule.

i use 4unit methods of integration in 3unit when i get lazy hahaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)