If you do 4 unit maths, should you do physics (1 Viewer)

Triage

HSC
N/A
If you were doing 4 unit maths, would it be silly not to do physics given overlap and similar brain requirements etc.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
No, it would not be silly.

Physics is much different to Extension 2 Mathematics.

Being good at 4U =/= being good at Physics as well.

Not all 4U students do Physics...

It just happens that 4U students TEND to like mathematically-minded subjects like Physics (heck, the amount of calculation questions in Physics tests are decreasing over the years... so worded-responses that test one's understanding of Physics principles OR ability to recall 'soft-science' information are popping up more often than calculations).

Heck, the calculations in Physics can be done by 2U students.

Overlap is so not even noticeable really....

Also, it just happens that Physics & 4U are both part of the popular 'Asian 4' subject combo.

It's like saying that there's a student who asks himself/herself:
- I'm planning to do 4U, now should I pick Economics or Physics?
I know I'm more likely to do better in Economics because my strength lies in Social Science. So it makes sense to choose Economics.....
I'm crap when it comes to understanding Physics but should I just choose it over Economics anyways because I do 4U and it should help? -

Overall - No. It ain't silly. It's silly to choose Physics, just because you do 4U, yet you're bad at understanding the actual content.

Last edited:

BlugyBlug

HSC
By "soft-science" are you talking about the more wordy questions like "assess impacts on society of xxx"? (in other words...the bullshit waffle-y questions that anyone with half a brain can just rote learn)

But yeah, 4U and phys aren't really that related. There's a few topics that are slightly similar but 95% of both courses are completely different.

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
I think a better way to word this would be 'If you do 4 unit maths, you can do physics'. In a sense they complement each other but I'd definitely comes down to personal preference imo.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Subject Advice:

1) Pick the combo that best enables you to maximise your score and fulfill whatever pre requisites you need for university.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Physics can help you understand some of the concepts in the mechanics topic in 4unit and that's about it.

But honestly if you're good at 4unit you're most likely good at Physics as well.

Maths Champion

HSC
If you were doing 4 unit maths, would it be silly not to do physics given overlap and similar brain requirements etc.
Good question. It is good to have a background knowledge in physics, especially for 4 unit projectiles and resisted motion, at max height, velocity in vertical component is 0: v=0, know the eccentricity of circle is 0. So they do overlap. However, sadly now days, due to physics being an arts subject, there's hardly any calculations anymore, it's all about subbing numbers into a formula, instead of deriving it like you do in 4 unit. Back then if you did physics, due to a heavy load of calculations, it was normal for people to do 3 or 4 unit with physics. However today, as weird as it sounds, many people who do physics do general maths due to lower level of maths and lower level of thinking.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Good question. It is good to have a background knowledge in physics, especially for 4 unit projectiles and resisted motion, at max height, velocity in vertical component is 0: v=0, know the eccentricity of circle is 0. So they do overlap. However, sadly now days, due to physics being an arts subject, there's hardly any calculations anymore, it's all about subbing numbers into a formula, instead of deriving it like you do in 4 unit. Back then if you did physics, due to a heavy load of calculations, it was normal for people to do 3 or 4 unit with physics. However today, as weird as it sounds, many people who do physics do general maths due to lower level of maths and lower level of thinking.
Beautifully put! Been dumbed down to cater to the Gen Maths crowd.

Somebody (or bodies) in the Board of Studies were responsible for this. They should be outed.

Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A
I can't believe young people still choose to teach science - the wishy washy senior courses must be so unrewarding to teach.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
I can't believe young people still choose to teach science - the wishy washy senior courses must be so unrewarding to teach.
The new proposed syllabi are definitely a step in the right direction!

Yes, it is annoying teaching societal impacts etc.. But, there is scope to bring stuff from outside the syllabus into your teaching to make it more bearable, lol.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
The new proposed syllabi are definitely a step in the right direction!

Yes, it is annoying teaching societal impacts etc.. But, there is scope to bring stuff from outside the syllabus into your teaching to make it more bearable, lol.
How much are they focus on societal impacts and history in the new syllabus?

seanieg89

HSC
Hsc physics is closer to hsc english than it is to any math course these days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)