Official BOS Mathematics Seminar: "How to solve problems." (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hey all,

Welcome to another Bored of Studies Mathematics Seminar! Like the ones hosted in July 2012, which were hugely successful, I will be presenting another Mathematics seminar for students studying either 2U, 3U or 4U Mathematics.

--------------------------------------------------

The event is now full!

Total: 56 people

Attendance from BOS: 45 people

RealiseNothing
asianese
bottleofyarn
oinky1
Vision
maysilees (3 people)
Peeik
Makematics
evinkays11
shhhh (3 people)
Nhannie
QZP (3 people)
novin18
impacts
AsianFrustratio (3 people)
iStudent
noodlesareyum (2 people)
rumbleroar
dunjaa
justem
Zeref
MethewYan
obviouslyme
JJJ123
wonder
tomnomnom696
HSCMASTER
esaitchkay
hawkrider
nexusbrah (3 people)
KTrojan
mysterymarkplz
vveerank

Attendance directly from Library: 11 people

Introduction:

Too many students get stuck with questions during exams or homework because "I don't know where to even start." I am sure that many of you may be familiar with this feeling.

This seminar will NOT be to teach a particular topic. I won't be 'giving you fish'. You have your teacher, tutor or textbooks for that. However, I will 'teach you to fish'.

In other words, I will teach you how to approach and solve the problems in your exams, especially "Prove ..." questions that many students dread. Often, these questions are placed towards the end of the exam and usually carry quite a lot of marks.

From my experience with teaching, I've found that many students tell me things along the lines of...

"I know how to prove it if I'm given where to start, but in exams I don't even know how to start, so I just can't do the whole question".
This is exactly the reason why I've decided to make this seminar; so all of you can figure out where to start, and you can finally approach such questions confidently.

All students doing any level of Senior Mathematics are welcome. So if you're in Year 10, 11, 12 or even going into 1st Year University, you are all very welcome to attend!

Here is a brief summary of all the details. Please let me know if you have any questions at all!

What:

A 2 hour seminar (1 hour, break, 1 more hour) on problem solving techniques for Mathematics questions.

Where: Parramatta Library, in the "Darug Room".

When: 10:30am, on Wednesday 22nd January 2014.

How to register: Simply send me a private message here. Please include your name, school and what level of Mathematics you are currently doing. This information will be kept strictly confidential.

Those without an account on this website will need to create one to send me a private message, so I can create an attendance list.

What to bring:

• Yourself
  • Pen and paper
  • $5 to cover running costs.
  • A Mathematical mindset.

What you receive:

• A more thorough understanding of Mathematical logic.
  • More developed problem solving techniques.
  • A small booklet containing the power-point presentation used on the day (you will receive this at the end of the seminar).
  • Another small booklet containing a summary of the seminar's content.
  • Free essay marking!

Essay Marking Service:

On the day, there will be a free essay marking service.

Members attending can simply hand in their essays before the seminar, and then collect them (marked of course!) afterwards.

Below is a list of the markers, and please feel free to ask them any questions that you may have about their service.

enoilgam: http://community.boredofstudies.org/member1610996950.html
Modern History, Legal Studies, SOR.

loversinjapan: http://community.boredofstudies.org/member1611094000.html

2U, 3U and 4U English, Modern History, Legal Studies, History Extension, Studies of Religion

strawberrye: http://community.boredofstudies.org/member1611081958.html
2U, 3U English, VA

Physics Mini-Seminar:

Stick around afterwards for a mini-seminar concerning how to lift yourself from Band 5 into Band 6 in Physics!

In Physics, the little things really do matter. You need to convince the HSC judges that you are Band 6 material and I will give you some hints and tips on things that they look for when they hand out those 90+ marks

Hope to see you all there on the day!

Carrotsticks.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I will be attending this. If you are considering going, I would highly recommend it, carrot is a great presenter and teacher!

cadd1ct

The Chess Addict
HSC
Uni Grad
Greatly recommended xD Carrotsticks is a genius when it comes to teaching students intuition and how to not be scared of 'prove questions'. He drilled the 'use previous parts' exam technique into me and I've used it to gain many extra marks :)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191

Chris100

HSC
So gutted I can't attend :(
Will pass on this event to my friends though

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I will be attending this. If you are considering going, I would highly recommend it, carrot is a great presenter and teacher!
Greatly recommended xD Carrotsticks is a genius when it comes to teaching students intuition and how to not be scared of 'prove questions'. He drilled the 'use previous parts' exam technique into me and I've used it to gain many extra marks :)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191
Thanks a lot! Really appreciated =)

Also, there will be free essay marking on the day!

So come in, hand in your essays before the seminar, and hand them back after the seminar is finished! I will update my original post to contain the relevant information.

dunjaaa

HSC
Soooooo gutted! Going to be away from sydney :(, would of loved to attend. If only it was on friday..........................

enoilgam

HSC
For those coming along, I would be willing to mark any essays you have for Modern History, Legal Studies or SOR whilst you do the exam. I can also check other humanities essays (ancient, eco, etc) - but I can only comment on structure/language/quality of thesis - I cant really give people much feedback on content.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Not sure why the attendance list doesn't have like 50 people by now.

This is totally worth it guys. The free essay marking/advice should be an extra incentive for you to attend.

So get in fast!

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Potential mini Physics seminar from our beloved Fizzy_Cyst too!

Will keep you updated on the progress of that.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
lol might have gone to help essay mark but i couldn't make it anyways. Carrot and his team are some of the best you guys will be able to find in the state for maths and its cheap as chips too. Recommended :)

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Stick around afterwards for a mini-seminar concerning how to lift yourself from Band 5 into Band 6 in Physics!

In Physics, the little things really do matter. You need to convince the HSC judges that you are Band 6 material and I will give you some hints and tips on things that they look for when they hand out those 90+ marks

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Might tag along for Phys and Chem. Don't know yet If I'm free on that day though.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Out of curiosity, how many year 12's are going?

Examine

same
HSC
I highly recommend that you come to this seminar guys! As he's mentioned Carrot has already held a BoS Maths seminar in 2012 which was very helpful and insightful. Also, the essay marking team have excelled in their respective subjects and know what how the HSC markers mark/what they are looking for, so I can guarantee you that this is definitely worth your time.

Get in quick!

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
So excited for the seminar as well as meeting other BOS users :))

HSC 2015

Prelim: English Extension | Maths Extension | Chemistry | Biology | Society & Culture

Aiming for Medicine at UNSW

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
So excited for the seminar as well as meeting other BOS users :))
BoS people sit on the right and the non-BoS people sit on the left :p

btw you can set your subjects as your signature....lol

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
BoS people sit on the right and the non-BoS people sit on the left :p

btw you can set your subjects as your signature....lol
Yes! That's actually a good idea :) it is my signature though

HSC 2015

Prelim: English Extension | Maths Extension | Chemistry | Biology | Society & Culture

Aiming for Medicine at UNSW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)