Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Avoiding the regrets and disapointment of not being able to pick up 3U/4U Maths

HSC
    N/A

Re: Avoiding the regrets and disapointment of not being able to pick up 3U/4U Maths

Bump

HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: Avoiding the regrets and disapointment of not being able to pick up 3U/4U Maths

my school had 4 classes of 4U in 2014
    (normally they have 3)
    but they had to get the deputy to run the 4u part for one of the classes.
    I was ranked about 70 something and got a really bad mark (62 then 68) for all my reports
    but ended up with 87. (I did well in the hsc exam, my exam was 92)

HSC

I think the impact on the school's assessment marks is also taken into consideration.

At my school ,one year they had way too many 4u English students and they did not perform very well in the HSC.

And then for the year after that, the English head teacher decided to have a class size limit.
    Last edited by funnytomato; 31 Dec 2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Experienced & Dedicated Maths Tutor (Hurstville Area):
    http://community.boredofstudies.org/...ille-area.html

Exalted Member
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by funnytomato View Post
    I think the impact on the school's assessment marks is also taken into consideration.

At my school ,one year they had way too many 4u English students and they did not perform very well in the HSC.

And then for the year after that, the English head teacher decided to have a class size limit.
    The way moderation works, adding (supposedly weaker) candidates should not have any effect on the marks of individuals who would have been doing the course anyway. It only affects the school's average mark in the subject, and that would be the sole selfish reason for the school limiting the number of candidates.

HSC
    N/A

That's why I made this post for people who can't do 3u or 4 u in school due to this issue, or timetable clash

HSC
    N/A

For those who want to pick up extension 1 Maths(3u maths) in year 12 (even though they didn't do it in year 11) or accelerate in extension 1 Maths outside of school, you can come to Granville TAFE and do it!
    There's another enrollment session on 28 Jan 2015, 10AM or 5PM!
    Last edited by unforlornedhope; 22 Jan 2015 at 8:53 PM.

HSC
    N/A

Wanting to do 4u maths but your school doesn't offer it ?
    Wanting to do 4u maths but it's too late to pick it up in your school, or do it through open high?
    Do it through Granville TAFE! Enrolment is on 28 January 2015!

Or if you live in the EAstern Suburbs or North Sydney, Randwick/North Sydney TAFE also offers 3u and 4u maths.

HSC
    N/A

bump

HSC
    N/A

For those who want to pick up extension 1 Maths(3u maths) in year 12 (even though they didn't do it in year 11) or accelerate in extension 1 Maths outside of school, you can come to Granville TAFE and do it!

HSC
    N/A

Just wanna ask a question, if you're not that good at 3U maths and you end up getting a mark let's say about 60%, will that affect your ATAR in a bad way or a good way?

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGas View Post
    Just wanna ask a question, if you're not that good at 3U maths and you end up getting a mark let's say about 60%, will that affect your ATAR in a bad way or a good way?
    60% raw mark or HSC mark?

HSC
    Uni Grad

nope
    if it is 60% raw (my unscaled Mark prior to hsc exam was 72 if I remember correctly)
    I ended up getting a band 6. it had got aligned somehow to to 87.

HSC
    N/A

I think 60% as in the raw mark (I think the raw mark is your overall mark you get just before the HSC exams, well that's what I think raw mark is). I'm only assuming 60% because I reckon I might be able to get that.

HSC
    N/A

HSC
    N/A

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by dan964 View Post
    nope
    if it is 60% raw (my unscaled Mark prior to hsc exam was 72 if I remember correctly)
    I ended up getting a band 6. it had got aligned somehow to to 87.
    So if it's a 60% what mark does it align to? Also, when you got 72 and it aligned to 87, what were the factors affecting this?

HSC
    N/A

2. Doing it through TAFE
    TAFE's do offer 3u and 4u maths. They usually start their classes at the start of February. So even if you miss term 4 of year 12, you won't be disadvantaged.
    You can ring the TAFE's but, it's best to come to the TAFE's in person to enquire if they do offer it or not.
    They usually have their info session around November, and their enrollment days in January.
    The TAFE's that I know of which offers 3u and 4u maths are:

1. Granville TAFE

http://granvilletafevocationalaccess...ikispaces.net/
    Contact Granville TAFE HSC Coordinator: 02 9682 0250 or 02 9682 0346[/B]

Granville also needs at least 20 people to run the class.

REMEMBER to let those who are interested in 3u and 4u know about:
    Granville Tafe enrolment is at 2:30pm, room C303, on WEDNESDAY 28th January 2015 for enrolment. Classes start 2nd February, 2015.

The contact numbers are: Alan Allison on 9682 0250, Ken : 02 9682 0346 and email: Ken.Gardiner@tafensw.edu.au

HSC
    N/A

Granville Tafe enrolment is at 2:30pm, room C303, on WEDNESDAY 28th January 2015 for enrolment. Classes start 2nd February, 2015.

The contact numbers are: Alan Allison on 9682 0250, Ken : 02 9682 0346 and email: Ken.Gardiner@tafensw.edu.au

HSC
    N/A

Granville Tafe enrolment is at 10am and 5pm, room C303, on WEDNESDAY 28th January 2015 for enrolment. Classes start 2nd February, 2015.

what is that?It is Cowpea RealiseNothing's Avatar
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGas View Post
    So if it's a 60% what mark does it align to? Also, when you got 72 and it aligned to 87, what were the factors affecting this?
    60% would align to a 87, 72% aligns to a 92.

Exalted Member
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by unforlornedhope View Post
    I want to make sure that everyone realises that you must get permission from your school principal to study externally a course that is already offered at your school. (That is, if you want it to count towards your HSC)
    Last edited by braintic; 30 Jan 2015 at 8:49 PM.

Cadet
    HSC

Just an update, my maths teacher (who was meant to teach 2 Unit, 3 Unit and 4 Unit maths at Granville TAFE) said that the government wanted to save money, resulting in budget cuts to TAFEs and many redundancies last year because they wanted less teachers to teach more students in each class.

We were told that 3 Unit maths will most likely not be running since there aren't enough students wanting to study it, they need 25 students. My maths teacher even told those who wanted to study 3 Unit maths to not even bother going to tomorrow's class.

4 Unit maths has a question mark next to it, there are many students who want to study 4 Unit maths who are from high school but they need 25 students, the government isn't going to pay them to run a class of say, 10 students.

I apologise if this is bad news to anyone but as I said earlier, the government wants to save money. In the past, they were able to run 3 Unit or 4 Unit maths even if there were 5 students but they can't do it anymore.

Excellent news, 3 Unit and 4 Unit Maths will be running!
    Last edited by DavidL; 8 Feb 2015 at 8:21 PM.

Exalted Member
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Just an update, my maths teacher (who was meant to teach 2 Unit, 3 Unit and 4 Unit maths at Granville TAFE) said that the government wanted to save money, resulting in budget cuts to TAFEs and many redundancies last year because they wanted less teachers to teach more students in each class.

We were told that 3 Unit maths will most likely not be running since there aren't enough students wanting to study it, they need 25 students. My maths teacher even told those who wanted to study 3 Unit maths to not even bother going to tomorrow's class.

4 Unit maths has a question mark next to it, there are many students who want to study 4 Unit maths who are from high school but they need 25 students, the government isn't going to pay them to run a class of say, 10 students.

I apologise if this is bad news to anyone but as I said earlier, the government wants to save money. In the past, they were able to run 3 Unit or 4 Unit maths even if there were 5 students but they can't do it anymore.
    So what will you do now?

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post

This is not true. I know a school kid who got a call from Granville saying that they will run 3unit and 4unit next week.

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by braintic View Post
    So what will you do now?
    Study!

Quote Originally Posted by unforlornedhope View Post
    This is not true. I know a school kid who got a call from Granville saying that they will run 3unit and 4unit next week.
    I just got an email and have updated my post.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information