53rd UNSW Mathematics Competition (1 Viewer)

Kevink98

HSC
N/A
Anyone here do the UNSW maths comp today? (the 3 hour one with 6 questions)

How did you find the questions? How do you think you went?

:D

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
i have heaps of friends doing it and saw the maths paper
wtf LOL

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
I got 2 questions out, the two easy ones lol (the inequalities one and the combinatorics question).
I misread the circle geometry question but apparently it was easy if you transposed it onto the coordinate axes and applied coordinate geometry.

Most of my friends got 3-4 out of the 6 out, and one of them managed to do 5 of them!

Time to quit maths.

Kevink98

HSC
N/A
How'd you do the inequalities??
I tried that for about 20 minutes then gave up...

I got n + k - 1 for the first one, combinatorics question as well using mod, and I had to rush question 5... did it shiftily though using binary... By any chance do you know the answer for question 5b? I got 171 but it's probably wrong... Didn't even touch the geometry haha.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
yeah i did it, everyone in my class had to. 20 minutes after the test, we had a topic test on calculus.
The maths comp was hard for most people, i managed to get 3-4 q's.

Kevink98

HSC
N/A
Wow everyone in your class did it? Which questions did you get done, and how did you do them?

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
I think that the combinatorics one is 301.
The inequality was alright, so, um

For each pair of , apply the AM-GM inequality for two variables. This makes . Now, there are pairs (we need to choose 2 distinct integers for these pairs, and the number of ways we do this corresponds to the number of pairs.
So then

As required.

Last edited:

Kevink98

HSC
N/A
I think that the combinatorics one is 301.
The inequality was alright, so, um

For each pair of , apply the AM-GM inequality for two variables. This makes . Now, there are pairs (we need to choose 2 distinct integers for these pairs, and the number of ways we do this corresponds to the number of pairs.
So then

As required.
Damnnnnn, that's a nice proof...

Did anyone get question 6 (senior)? The guy next to me had a whole heap of triangles on his page..

Last edited:

mirachael

HSC
I managed to get 5 out :) Not sure how rigorous my proofs were though
For the first 1 I got n
Second was just leave the other person with a multiple of 3 counters
Third was as Kurosaki said (there was a similar question in Cambridge 4U harder 3U)
Fourth I just used coordinate geometry letting the first circle be x^2+y^2=1 and the second circle be (x-1)^2+y^2=1 and went from there
Fifth was simply perms and combs, got 301 for the 2nd part but not sure if I'm right
And for the last question I have no idea. Apparently, it was in the junior paper as well. I'd really like to know how to do it.

erckle999

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone have a copy of the paper they might be kind enough to upload. Would like to have a go.

go_cadel

HSC
I didn't actually do the comp (exams), but here's another way to do the inequality.
Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 4.28.22 PM.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)