Why math is hard and confusing....my kids say that (1 Viewer)

forum

Banned
HSC
When my kids try to memories math then they get confused with next question, but when I explain to understand the concept instead of memorizing then they do good job.....I felt that schools should have some Math teaching guidelines.

Axio

=o
HSC
I'm not entirely sure of the point of this thread... And I feel as if I don't have enough information to determine precisely why your children's attitudes towards maths are as they are.

lolitaaa

HSC
they need a better teacher in school or something, get a well-respected tutor. There are lots of VERY good tutors out there that can help your children. Thankfully I got one early on to prevent the faults from building and damaging my maths education...

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
I feel that majority of teachers who teach any subject at school really are there for the paychecks and the 9 week holiday a year. There are some teachers that take their job seriously and assist a child to take their education as an important priority. But in saying that, I believe that those teachers are only the minority... Seriously considered being a high school teacher at a point during pondering over my future career..

HSC
Maths is not a "wrote learn" subject, you have to understand the concepts in order to be able to do questions

braintic

HSC
N/A
I feel that majority of teachers who teach any subject at school really are there for the paychecks and the 9 week holiday a year. There are some teachers that take their job seriously and assist a child to take their education as an important priority. But in saying that, I believe that those teachers are only the minority... Seriously considered being a high school teacher at a point during pondering over my future career..
I'm sorry, but those teachers are in the majority.
There is a higher percentage of parents who don't give a damn about their kids' education than teachers who don't give a damn.
Kids from selective/private schools are shielded from this fact, and of course most people who use THIS site won't have that experience with their own parents.
Perhaps we should judge parents to be generally uncaring, and add a short rider that there are 'some' who take their kids' education seriously.

There are very few teachers who just work school hours, and I would say that the average is 45-50 hours per week. Kids just have no idea what goes on outside the classroom.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
There are very few teachers who just work school hours, and I would say that the average is 45-50 hours per week. Kids just have no idea what goes on outside the classroom.
Definitely this. All of my teachers were more than happy to work extra hours to help me get the most out of my HSC. I got them to mark every essay/past paper/homework I did, and they always got it back to me very quickly, usually the next day with at least a page of feedback.

To be honest, I think the problem is that too many kids feel an unnecessary need for tutors, and they always get the tutors to do the stuff that I was getting my teachers to do. I think kids get the impression that teachers are lazy just because they never ask them for any extra help and go straight to their tutors, when the majority of teachers are actually more than willing to put in the extra hours.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I know this may not be a very 'popular' opinion with you as a parent. However; it may be because your children are 1) Choosing not to listen/learn effectively. (Most) Teacher's aren't just there for the 'pay check', I mean for the amount of work in preparing lesson plans, admin etc you could be paid a substantial amount more. With the new syllabuses; some mathematics teachers alone are responsible for having to teach four syllabuses which will obviously require a lot of lesson planning etc.

Teacher's do attempt to teach understanding in mathematics, but they face a wall of cognitive challenges, as student's are 'forced' into doing a subject which many 'hate'.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Also I think part of the problem may in fact be due to a poor primary school foundation in mathematics, which for the most part seems not to be taught very effectively or well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)