4 Unit math (1 Viewer)

Joshmosh2

HSC
I am seriously considering doing ext 2 math next year.. I am aware that it is a big jump from ext 1, but would anyone like to share their experiences doing it? what was the hardest aspect of doing the subject? was it enjoyable? thanks!:smile:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
some of the concepts are very different (like complex numbers) but a lot of it is just 3 unit but harder (polynomials, harder 3u, etc.)
i really enjoy 4unit and i've had a pretty positive experience with it. i think when you don't understand it, it is quite difficult and it isn't as nice as it should be but that shouldn't deter you from doing it because i heard if you understand 70% of the course, that's already pretty good. you have to keep up with homework. you never want to be behind because it can be difficult to catch up and always ask your teacher for help.

the most straightforward topics imo are polynomials, conics and graphing.
my favourite topics are harder 3u (although these can be extremely tricky), integration and polynomials.
the hardest imo are mechanics. complex numbers can get very difficult so don't underestimate it.

if you're doing well in 3u right now, I definitely recommend giving 4u a try. It seriously helps with 3u (barely study for 3u and still manage to get consistent marks above 90% - but i don't recommend fully neglecting it haha) especially with topics like integration.

Joshmosh2

HSC
Thanks for the insight. I did very well in my 3u test a couple months ago, however I feel that they made it too easy. Is there any way you could compare your capabilities with the 4u course?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Thanks for the insight. I did very well in my 3u test a couple months ago, however I feel that they made it too easy. Is there any way you could compare your capabilities with the 4u course?
Not really

Some people say if you get 80% in 3U you're capable, but it really depends on test difficulty, etc. I think you'll only know if you can do 4U once you start doing it. sorry, its one of those subjects haha!

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
But saying "Extension Two" takes up a whole extra syllable.

Chubbeh

HSC
I'd say to just take the subject on-board and try it out for yourself. If you can't handle it, you can always drop it. Better to live without the 'what if I chose 4U and actually understood it'

emilios

HSC
Was initially a big jump but I'm so so glad I took it. By far my favourite subject. It greatly improved my mathematical literacy and general critical thinking and problem solving. It'll be a tough slog at first (complex numbers effed my head) but you'll get used to it. Time + effort > ability as far as hsc goes

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
It's like 2U maths and 3U maths but you perform longer calculations, complex thinking and ,imo you should fully understand 2U AND 3U concepts, otherwise, G_G. Many teachers expect 4U students to spend 50% of their study time on 4U. So it's all about HARD WORK.
I got 52% for 2U and 65% for 3U in Yr11 - standing in the bottom 5 in class. In Yr12 right now, I got 80+ for every 4U tests and 90+ for 3U. So I'm pretty satisfied with 4U maths.

braintic

HSC
N/A
But saying "Extension Two" takes up a whole extra syllable.
Then you would have to challenge people who say "I did 4 unit maths in two thousand and fourteen" instead of "I did Extension 2 maths in twenty fourteen".

braintic

HSC
N/A
Do it for the insane scaling!
Definitely NOT a reason for doing it.
Anyone who doesn't like maths, especially higher order thinking, is insane if they choose Ext 2 maths just for the scaling.

b29

HSC
DONT DO IT FOR THE SCALING.
its a great course
im in year 12 now and I'm loving it
but its hard work
you have to be prepared to put the hours in and you MUST be really good at maths
you should be getting 95+ in ext 1
if you don't you aren't going to do very well because some of the topics are really really intense

integral95

HSC
It's like 2U maths and 3U maths but you perform longer calculations, complex thinking and ,imo you should fully understand 2U AND 3U concepts, otherwise, G_G. Many teachers expect 4U students to spend 50% of their study time on 4U. So it's all about HARD WORK.
I got 52% for 2U and 65% for 3U in Yr11 - standing in the bottom 5 in class. In Yr12 right now, I got 80+ for every 4U tests and 90+ for 3U. So I'm pretty satisfied with 4U maths.
Indeed, when you put in the effort and do well in 4U, 3U would be a breeze and you'd pretty much kill it.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Indeed, when you put in the effort and do well in 4U, 3U would be a breeze and you'd pretty much kill it.
That only applies to the people who are beyond a certain level in maths. People below that level find that their Ext 1 mark suffers because Ext 2 takes up all their time.

emilios

HSC
^^ If true, that would be incredibly strange seeing as though everything you use in 3U re-appears in 4U in some shape or another, except for a handful of things (angle between two lines, binomial identities are rare). Pretty much everything else in 3U HAS to be used in 4U. See motion re-applied to mechanics (SHM, projectile, rectilinear), integration + calculus (graphs and volumes are surprisingly helpful with this), probability+induction+inequalities+circle (harder 3U topic), trig becomes a 2nd language, a bit of series here and there. Parametric parabola is just easy-mode Conics and Polynomials is well.... Polynomials.

Honestly 3U should become such a breeze as you reach the end of the 4U course.

iStudent

HSC
If you do 4u, even if you get 0 hsc mark you're still going to get 47.3 atar equivalent. That itself should convince you to do 4u lol. (and I don't think anyone gets 0 hsc mark.... especially now that there are MCQs).

v1

HSC
I am seriously considering doing ext 2 math next year.. I am aware that it is a big jump from ext 1, but would anyone like to share their experiences doing it? what was the hardest aspect of doing the subject? was it enjoyable? thanks!:smile:
i enjoyed math so it was very fun and easy, hardest aspect was harder 3u

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)