Will Extension 2 Mathematics help me with Extension 1? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Will Ext 2 push me my skills further in Extension 1? And how does the subjects differ?

photastic

HSC
There is a relatively large jump from ext 1 to ext 2. Ext 2 will make ext 1 look like a joke tbh. Obviously the concepts are more complicated.

meggles_

HSC
Yes for me, I find 4U really helps with understanding concepts and problem solving - my brain thinks differently now that I've done 4U and it helps me with the really difficult 3U problems
Obviously the concepts you learn in 4U are completely different to 3U but 4U will help with 3U
4U kids in my opinion, have an advantage over the 3U kids because they have increased exposure to how maths actually works (and not just memorising formulas)

That being said, you need a solid grasp of 3U material to understand 4U
But don't let that put you off - 4U is really rewarding!

HSC
Yeah thank you for that! I'm thinking about taking Extension 2 tuition, so it can help me further in thinking with Ext 1. By the way, how would 4U help me in 3U besides understanding concepts?
Isn't there a topic in 4U where it's "Harder 3U", wouldn't that help me?

Axio

=o
HSC
Yeah thank you for that! I'm thinking about taking Extension 2 tuition, so it can help me further in thinking with Ext 1. By the way, how would 4U help me in 3U besides understanding concepts?
Isn't there a topic in 4U where it's "Harder 3U", wouldn't that help me?
If you are planning on doing 3U as an accelerant, I wouldn't recommend getting 4U tuition to help with 3U. Just spend all the time you would have spent on that tuition doing 3U past papers instead. Exposing yourself to more and more questions will extend your understand of the concepts further than learning more difficult unrelated 4U content.

HSC
Not doing 3U as an accelerant though. I just really want to be at the top for 3U mathematics, and to be frank I love 3U mathematics. I get tutored for 3U mathematics, and I'm learning by myself through textbooks and I think that isn't enough. I want to know if taking a 4U class would help me, through understanding 3U concepts better. And to know 4U, would you not have prerequisite knowledge of 3U topics? I just want to know how 4U would help me 3U that's all. Plus, I think taking a 4U class for 2 years would benefit me, since I want to do engineering in University or Tafe.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
It should enhance your mathematical skills. ( It should)

HSC
It should? So do you recommend me taking a 4U tuition class to enhance my mathematic ability, and look at 3U at another way?

HSC
Yes and currently revising. Just want to know if the concepts of 4U would help me with the difficult 3U problems. I know it's completely different and all, but there's gotta be a way that 4U can help me right?

Axio

=o
HSC
Yes and currently revising. Just want to know if the concepts of 4U would help me with the difficult 3U problems. I know it's completely different and all, but there's gotta be a way that 4U can help me right?
Can you explain your situation? Are you doing 3U content in Year 10 but not actually starting the course until next year and you want to know if you should do 4U too?

You sound as if you have enough motivation (and probably capability) to do 4U.

HSC
Yep doing it right now. Really love it. I just want to know if 4U will help me understanding the concepts in 3U. How else would it help me with 3U?

HSC
Really @Mikasa? How does it get easier? Is it because 4U concepts are more complicated, so understanding 3U would be easier?

HSC
Just making sure because my teacher said 3U would help me with 4U. @Drongski, how would it help me?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
In 4U, you have to develop higher order skills and understand more complex concepts, and many of the topics in 3U are being extended in 4U, like Polynomials, Integration, Induction, Circle Geometry, Probability/Counting etc.

4U will help your 3U the way your 3U makes your 2U relatively easy.

Last edited:

Ikki

HSC
Doing 4u is automatically studying for 3u as most trial papers contain harder 3 unit. HOWEVER, there are many things such as easy binomials and perms that are less tested which should be solid before doing majority 4u papers. Best strategy is to build 3u until 95%+ average then shift focus to 4u and do 3u papers once in a while.

iStudent

HSC
Yes. Since you're doing a lot more questions, you would also be getting the practise to eliminate common mistakes made in 3u too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)