Derangement and Use of -Exclusion-Inclusion Principle. (1 Viewer)

mamun11

HSC
N/A
Given n different objects,they have to be arranged in such a way that k objects won't occupy their initial position.How to solve this problem? For example,if n=7,k=3 how many permutations will we get so that exactly 3 objects won't occupy their initial position?

aDimitri

i'm the cook
HSC
Given n different objects,they have to be arranged in such a way that k objects won't occupy their initial position.How to solve this problem? For example,if n=7,k=3 how many permutations will we get so that exactly 3 objects won't occupy their initial position?
i'm assuming you mean arranged in a line. if they are all different objects, doesn't that mean it's just (n! - 1) ?
Since there is only one initial position for each object.

Or is the question asking it such that NONE of the 3 objects occupy their initial position?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
To do this intuitively, get the total number of ways and then subtract all the ways that people can occupy their original postilion.

The total is n!

Now subtract all the cases where one person has the right position.

But we've subtracted too many, so let's add back the number of ways that two people can be seated correctly.

Now we've added too much, now let's subtract the cases when three people occupy their original position.

Try to make a general formula from here. I'll check to see if it's right.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
i'm assuming you mean arranged in a line. if they are all different objects, doesn't that mean it's just (n! - 1) ?
Since there is only one initial position for each object.

Or is the question asking it such that NONE of the 3 objects occupy their initial position?
Yes, none of them have their original position.

dunjaaa

HSC
Screen shot 2014-09-10 at 2.03.59 PM.png This is what I came up with :) For n=7, k=3, total arrangements is = 1680

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)