Extension 3 maths (1 Viewer)

Triage

HSC
N/A
The majority of people that only do mathematics 2u find it moderately difficult.

People that do extension 1 however, by and large, find 2u extremely easy. They do however find Extension 1 content quite difficult.

People that do extension 2 however, by and large, find 3u extremely easy. They do however fund extension 2 content quite difficult.

Although ostensibly it may seem counterintuitive to teach a course that is not assessed, wouldn't the best way to make extension 2 maths easy be to teach an extension 3 maths class?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Content would be quite different though and in the scope of HSC methods there is not much else that could be done without bringing in new definitions that have solid proofs and stuff (you'll see that uni maths and the methods you learn are slightly different than HSC maths).

As soon as start getting to a higher level of maths, you'll start having to teach differential equations of higher orders, functions of several variables, vectors, matrices, etc.

Not all these are applicable to what is in MX2 though as really its a similar process except all that is done is that you learn that you have to do a few extra steps (then it might just become a case of more algebra work). Depending on the individual this might or might not be helpful to them.

Also by HSC standards, MX3 would not be able to count for your ATAR I think (there is something about doing 4 or more subjects and I am not sure whether it would be considered the same subject as the other maths subjects or not).

Though it would be good if they had an extra-curricular class for doing higher levels of maths, however not many students (except those intending to pursue maths in later years in uni) would do it. Though it would be a good idea to make it an option for high school students to go a bit out of scope and learn some extra stuff.

mreditor16

HSC
The majority of people that only do mathematics 2u find it moderately difficult.

People that do extension 1 however, by and large, find 2u extremely easy. They do however find Extension 1 content quite difficult.

People that do extension 2 however, by and large, find 3u extremely easy. They do however fund extension 2 content quite difficult.

Although ostensibly it may seem counterintuitive to teach a course that is not assessed, wouldn't the best way to make extension 2 maths easy be to teach an extension 3 maths class?
completely agree with the bolded part.

but trying to implement the italicised part would bring a lot of difficulties and complications.....

photastic

HSC

Wth! 2u is harder than extension 1 or i'm just different :O

Fiction

HSC
Wth! 2u is harder than extension 1 or i'm just different :O
You're the same as one of my friends. She's acing ext 1 but asian failing 2u. On the other hand, I reckon she's just not studying for the 2u course and only studying for ext 1 - which makes no sense when ext 1 only counts 1 unit and 2 unit counts for, well, two units.

photastic

HSC
You're the same as one of my friends. She's acing ext 1 but asian failing 2u. On the other hand, I reckon she's just not studying for the 2u course and only studying for ext 1 - which makes no sense when ext 1 only counts 1 unit and 2 unit counts for, well, two units.
What like 85+%? Yea I only get 85+ for 2u but 90+ for 3u, lolol, probs cos 2u is so boring

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
I almost failed 2U but aced 3U in Yr 11. Then I nearly failed 3U and smashed 4U in Yr 12:newburn:

photastic

HSC
I almost failed 2U but aced 3U in Yr 11. Then I nearly failed 3U and smashed 4U in Yr 12:newburn:
Damn it's funny how unique we are, I also failed 2U and 3U in yr 11 but now jumped ranks by 20 into the top :)

iStudent

HSC
I sometimes get the feeling 4u students find 3u easy because, well, the students who do 4u are the more "capable" 3u students in the first place (and that's why they choose it). But obviously, some things learnt in 4u complement 3u nicely and this also adds to their ability. That's what I think anyways - that 4u students find 3u easy because they're already beasts at math :p

mreditor16

HSC
I sometimes get the feeling 4u students find 3u easy because, well, the students who do 4u are the more "capable" 3u students in the first place (and that's why they choose it). But obviously, some things learnt in 4u complement 3u nicely and this also adds to their ability. That's what I think anyways - that 4u students find 3u easy because they're already beasts at math :p
yep quite true! :D

emilios

HSC
This thread got me interested in what a 5U syllabus would look like haha. Here's my mock up set of topics:

Linear Algebra
Statistics
Series (infinite series, convergence tests & notable series such as Taylor and Power series)
Possibly some Vector Calc?
Introductory Multivariable Calculus (new types of integrals with their applications, could also introduce polar coordinates and stuff here)
Differential Equations
Combinatorics

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
This thread got me interested in what a 5U syllabus would look like haha. Here's my mock up set of topics:

Linear Algebra
Statistics
Series (infinite series, convergence tests & notable series such as Taylor and Power series)
Possibly some Vector Calc?
Introductory Multivariable Calculus (new types of integrals with their applications, could also introduce polar coordinates and stuff here)
Differential Equations
Combinatorics
looks very similar to MATH11X1/12X1 at UNSW

emilios

HSC
Nah, I remember for maybe the first quarter of this year (as I was learning maybe the first three topics in 4U) I still found 3U relatively hard. However, coz I was doing so much practice for 4U, my accuracy and speed improved as well as my fundamental understanding of the topics. Naturally, 3U became much easier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)