Another Margaret grove locus problem :( help needed ! (1 Viewer)

aanthnnyyy

HSC
hey guys I've been spending a while and can't find a way to look at this question about a stupid satellite;
A satellite dish is to he 3.5m wide and 1.1m deep. Find position of focus in mm

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
wtf wanna get rekt? (see my sig for reference)

margatret grove.png <-- open this

sorry for the shitty diagram ^

but basically it's lyk 3.5 wide so you divide it by two and that is the length of half of the width which you can use as the x coordinate. Then you get the depth which is 1.1 which is the y coordinate. Hence you have the coordinates of one point on the "parabola" (satellite dish thing) and you know the equation for a random parabola which is x^2 =4ay

sub in x = 1.75 and y = 1.1

(1.75)^2 = 4a (1.1)

4a = 2.78..
a = 0.696m

to convert to mm times it by 1000 :. answer should be 696mm

NEVER use MIF

I suggest you use Cambridge instead as the questions are better and more challenging

trungduong12

HSC
wtf wanna get rekt? (see my sig for reference)

View attachment 31104 <-- open this

sorry for the shitty diagram ^

but basically it's lyk 3.5 wide so you divide it by two and that is the length of half of the width which you can use as the x coordinate. Then you get the depth which is 1.1 which is the y coordinate. Hence you have the coordinates of one point on the "parabola" (satellite dish thing) and you know the equation for a random parabola which is x^2 =4ay

sub in x = 1.75 and y = 1.1

(1.75)^2 = 4a (1.1)

4a = 2.78..
a = 0.696m

to convert to mm times it by 1000 :. answer should be 696mm

NEVER use MIF

I suggest you use Cambridge instead as the questions are better and more challenging
What if ur teacher force the whole class to use MIF :|

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aanthnnyyy

HSC
Thx haha I got the divide width part but ye it's what our school have us :/ but thanks

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
What if ur teacher force the whole class to use MIF :|

Thx haha I got the divide width part but ye it's what our school have us :/ but thanks
Once I remember asking the same question in year 11 and then someone posted something lyk
"Your teacher is not the embodiment of Maths in focus"

You must NOT feel obliged to use Maths in focus. Do whatever it takes but DO NOT use that evil textbook.
My school's also retarded and supplies us with maths in focus. Thank god we got the soft copy so what I did was used Cambridge soft copy in class on my laptop with a low brightness, who's gonna know what textbook you're using?! When your teacher walks around the room to see what you're doing quickly switch back to maths in focus.

If your teacher's bitchy and checks your work, just write the maths in focus exercise at the top and do the Cambridge questions.

But please please PLEASE do not use maths in focus :/

aanthnnyyy

HSC
well I just started y12 (t4) and all this MIF criticism has made me feel I can't get a band 6 bcoz I'll need Cambridge ohh I better make a changeee

trungduong12

HSC
Once I remember asking the same question in year 11 and then someone posted something lyk

You must NOT feel obliged to use Maths in focus. Do whatever it takes but DO NOT use that evil textbook.
My school's also retarded and supplies us with maths in focus. Thank god we got the soft copy so what I did was used Cambridge soft copy in class on my laptop with a low brightness, who's gonna know what textbook you're using?! When your teacher walks around the room to see what you're doing quickly switch back to maths in focus.

If your teacher's bitchy and checks your work, just write the maths in focus exercise at the top and do the Cambridge questions.

Shieeettttt !!!!!
Too late !!
Thats what i did the last two years !
LOL
Maths exam on Wed !! GG for me !!!

photastic

HSC

*Plottwist* Your teacher is THE Margaret Grove

well I just started y12 (t4) and all this MIF criticism has made me feel I can't get a band 6 bcoz I'll need Cambridge ohh I better make a changeee
lol, it's only enigma. Not many people rant about it.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Shieeettttt !!!!!
Too late !!
Thats what i did the last two years !
LOL
Maths exam on Wed !! GG for me !!!

wait you used maths in focus all this time?? Weren't enigma's rants enough to stop you? :/

You MUST change the textbook. Don't worry I was a faggot and used maths in focus until half way in year 11 thinking I had no choice... And then I switched so you'll be fine :) Better late than never.

*Plottwist* Your teacher is THE Margaret Grove

lol, it's only enigma. Not many people rant about it.
then I would strangle that creature.

Join the ~ Anti-Maths in Focus Master Race ~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)