Do teachers universally follow this routine? (1 Viewer)

sadpwner

HSC
N/A
Enter class. Provide minimal theory. Do the first few questions on the board. Leave class for self-progression.

This generally isn't an issue in 2/3 unit, but in 4 unit when we are still inexperienced with the unfamilar and new topics it just feels like the progression is neglectible. Provided minimal theory for 4 unit is just plain retarded. We also use Cambridge for all our units, which is aggravating since they give the easiest examples, which are sometimes unrelated to the questions and then difficult ass questions. I would rather the teacher teach in class and then leave us the work to do at home.

Last edited:

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Most teachers are like this...

our routine

> wait 45 minutes for class to settle down
> 5 minutes of work
> next classs
There are only a few teachers who are like this:

no, my teacher is da best
It's really stupid and is incredibly ineffective in teaching maths I reckon because how the hell are we supposed to learn the harder questions. I find it beneficial if someone goes through the harder questions with me because I have no clue what's going on half the time. If you are struggling in maths with your teacher's approach you could get a tutor, watch WooTube, Khan academy and go through heaps of past papers because you learn stuff better that way too.

Btw if your school uses Maths in focus, DO NOT use it as it will severely disadvantage you in your hsc by not laying the appropriate foundation for Maths. Refer to my sig.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
m8 this is my school

Enter class. Leave class for self-progression.
Pretty much. No wonder so many people are dropping from 2 unit to general maths/dropping maths altogether.
Most school teachers are ineffective at teaching either because they didn't get b5/6 in maths or simply don't understand it well enough to be teaching and thus share their lack of maths knowledge with students which results in lower marks :/

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
My maths teacher is the best of the best.

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Enter class. Provide minimal theory. Do the first few questions on the board. Leave class for self-progression.
My teacher is wicked, sets up heaps of cool demonstrations and really knows his stuff (good teachers are in the minority these days though sadly).

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
My teacher is wicked, sets up heaps of cool demonstrations and really knows his stuff (good teachers are in the minority these days though sadly).
Good maths teachers are the ones that graduated back in the 90s

integral95

HSC
Just beware that class time is limited so you can't expect the teacher to go through the whole topic in detail and delve into the harder questions all the time, this would leave no time for the later topics.

e.g for 4U maths some schools tend to rush mechanics/harder 3U (the last topics taught) ,since most of the time is spent on the earlier topics, hence most students don't have a proper understanding with those and basically lose their marks there in the HSC.

QZP

HSC
Just beware that class time is limited so you can't expect the teacher to go through the whole topic in detail and delve into the harder questions all the time, this would leave no time for the later topics.

e.g for 4U maths some schools tend to rush mechanics/harder 3U (the last topics taught) ,since most of the time is spent on the earlier topics, hence most students don't have a proper understanding with those and basically lose their marks there in the HSC.
Spent like total 1 hour throughout the whole year on 4U probability/counting. Didn't show up in exam thank god LOL

photastic

HSC
Da junior days
1. 10 mins lining up
2. 10 mins sitting down
3. 10 mins about school rules
4. 20 mins about life
5. 10 mins to open book
6. 0 mins of lessons

Thus, the answer to your question is no

HSC
I think it's to do with the teacher's ability rather than time constraints.

My original maths teacher was away a week after trials because she was sick. We had another teacher to come and teach us Mechanics.

The teacher was brilliant, taught the entire mechanics topic in a week. The only questions he did were past HSC questions and when we got small topic tests on the topic, those who payed attention and listened to him did well.

Imo, it's all about the teacher's abilities

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Ohhh wow lol, dedication?
He loves what he does, which I really admire (in fact, there are 3 people in their late 60s or 70s in the maths department at my school, one of whom is retiring this year). But yeah, he told me once that he loves teaching and won't stop for a good couple of years at least.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
He loves what he does, which I really admire (in fact, there are 3 people in their late 60s or 70s in the maths department at my school, one of whom is retiring this year). But yeah, he told me once that he loves teaching and won't stop for a good couple of years at least.
Our teachers are around like 30 years max.

CanU_Not

HSC
Da junior days
1. 10 mins lining up
2. 10 mins sitting down
3. 10 mins about school rules
4. 20 mins about life
5. 10 mins to open book
6. 0 mins of lessons

Thus, the answer to your question is no
+1
This. I honestly don't understand the girl/guy who invented junior years/ the syllabus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)