dan's past paper recommendations (1 Viewer)

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
for those of you who will probably have to do past papers now is your time to start.

(1) If your teacher gives you a schedule (good schools like mine will) for past papers do it.
(2) If not your best bet is to do trial papers or past hsc.

But first
(1) Go to Officeworks/newsagent and get lined paper / books. The Spiral pads where pages can be removed are good. Buy at least 4 decent sized but not too big books. A4 is better because your exam writing book is that size. No grid.
(2) Set yourself a schedule with due dates like it is an assignment. For 3u and 4u, that means around 2 papers a week. Do your 3 hour paper on the weekend or in the evening. make sure to leave time for breaks and to do other subjects. make sure to exercise as well

During the practice exam:
if an assessment is still weeks out, then do it open book. If you have problems refer to your notes or textbooks (former is preferred).
For example I had assignments which were really useful for the course.
As the assessment approaches especially before the trial do closed book without peeking the answers. Print the paper off to remove the temptation to look off answers if you feel necessary.
If you can't do a question circle it and ask your teacher (they're paid for that); then if that fails, your tutor or here on bos.

Where to get exams:
A good textbook may be good for assessments since teachers usually use them or past trials especially those from your school at least back as far as you can go.
Some schools have them on intranets, others have them on hard copy (I tended to scan them because they only let me have it overnight) you can also ask teachers for CSSA and Independent which are useful since they have mapping grids.

Good sources for trials:
most selective and Gps schools write their own maths trials. avoid ones that look like copy and paste from Independent/CSSA (you can usually tell by the formatting/cover/footers.
such as (as most have years in order that you can find at angelfire 4u/other papers)
Abbotsleigh
Barker
Baulkham Hills
CSSA
Fort St.
Gosford
Hurlstone
Independent
James Ruse
North Sydney Boys
North Sydney Girls
Penrith
Riverview (St Ignatius)
Scots
Sydney Boys
Sydney Girls
Sydney Grammar
Sydney Tech
(I have some but they won't be up until 10th January)

I cannot stress how important are past papers
It's probably what increased my marks to what they are (from 62 and 68 at end of term 1)

Last edited:

Kaido

be.
HSC
Hey dude, I was thinking perhaps I should finish both T1 & T2 topics before starting on papers.
Other BoSers recommend getting the edge by consolidating the whole year's syllabus during the holidays

What are your thoughts?

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Hey dude, I was thinking perhaps I should finish both T1 & T2 topics before starting on papers.
Other BoSers recommend getting the edge by consolidating the whole year's syllabus during the holidays

What are your thoughts?
I really wish i did atleast something during my t1/t2 holidays rofl, but alas did not even touch any subject even throughout the terms, i don't recall what i did in the holidays, but it was not a productive one. Would recommend finishing whole syllabus in a holidays conics onwards (i did in t3 before trials and every other subject for that matter). BTW had to self-learn everything since teacher wasn't very good (won't say she was shit cause i liked her as a person) In the end i came 3rd with unmoderated assessment-79 while 1st got 97 (Dr Du tutoring).... We both got exam mark 93 in the end. I only started doing past papers during HSC holidays (think i should have started earlier).

Last edited:

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad

What are your thoughts?
yes
what I would recommend are doing the papers for the relevant assessment from your school or ask your teacher to pull relevant questions out of trial/hsc exams. yes content is important first but practice consistently don't leave it too last minute

Last edited:

astroman

HSC
would it be better to do your own schools previous past papers compared to other schools considering the school past papers are consistent with similar questions throughout the years?

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
would it be better to do your own schools previous past papers compared to other schools considering the school past papers are consistent with similar questions throughout the years?
Better to do both imo
Like in my chem half yearly they chucked in other school questions.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
it really depends on the subject though
since this is in a maths thread I am mainly addressing that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)