Do these happen in HSC maths marking? (1 Viewer)

HSC
-what happens when I do working out for a question but decide to do a different method- which one gets marked?
-what if I wrote the correct answer/ working out but cross it out?
-would I lose marks if I didn't make the answer "pretty"? e.g. writing -1+x+x^2 instead of x^2 + x -1
-from above what if I write the not so pretty version correctly but then the pretty one with a silly mistake? Would they disregard the last thing?

I'm not sure if maths tries to give marks

Silly Sausage

HSC
No, they won't mark it wrong. However, in the case where they ask you to prove things e.g. Show that the equation of the curve is ... It is best that you write it in the same fashion as they stated in the question. You will definitely need to do it if they state e.g. Write the equation of the tangent in general form etc.

They will probably mark you write if you use a different method since many schools teach differently UNLESS the question specifically asks for a different method.

I'm not exactly sure about the other though as you would probably need to ask past/current markers this.

Last edited:
HSC
No, they won't mark it wrong. However, in the case where they ask you to prove things e.g. Show that the equation of the curve is ... It is best that you write it in the same fashion as they stated in the question. You will definitely need to do it if they state e.g. Write the equation of the tangent in general form etc.

They will probably mark you write if you use a different method since many schools teach differently UNLESS the question specifically asks for a different method.

I'm not exactly sure about the other though as you would probably need to ask past/current markers this.
ok thanks for the answer
I usually do but if it's going to complicate what I'm doing, I'll move on
what if I start one method then decide to change to a different method? Would they mark the more correct one?

braintic

HSC
N/A
If you cross out a solution, but do not offer an alternative solution, they will mark your crossed out solution (if they can read it).

If you have one crossed out solution and one which is not crossed out, they will mark the one that is not crossed out (they WON'T try to find extra marks for you by looking at the crossed out version).

If you have two solutions which are not crossed out, they will mark the SECOND attempt.
But this is often not clear cut, as it is sometimes difficult to tell the difference between a second attempt and a first attempt which has 'bifurcated'. Not crossing out unwanted working could work either way for you, depending on how the marker interprets what you have done.

Last edited:
HSC
If you cross out a solution, but do not offer an alternative solution, they will mark your crossed out solution (if they can read it).

If you have one crossed out solution and one which is not crossed out, they will mark the one that is not crossed out (they WON'T try to find extra marks for you by looking at the crossed out version).

If you have two solutions which are not crossed out, they will mark the SECOND attempt.
But this is often not clear cut, as it is sometimes difficult to tell the difference between a second attempt and a first attempt which has 'bifurcated'. Not crossing out unwanted working could work either way for you, depending on how the marker interprets what you have done.
Oh wow... that clears so much, thanks
I should be careful with what I cross out

Martin_SSEDU

HSC

My math's teacher occasionally marked for the HSC and this is basically the case, however, I'm not sure about the two solutions because it was common practice for all crossed out sections to be marked. In my experience, I did 4U so I crossed out whole booklets but handed them in anyway, everything got the words 'SEEN' on them and I managed to get marks across all attempts.

braintic

HSC
N/A
My math's teacher occasionally marked for the HSC and this is basically the case, however, I'm not sure about the two solutions because it was common practice for all crossed out sections to be marked. In my experience, I did 4U so I crossed out whole booklets but handed them in anyway, everything got the words 'SEEN' on them and I managed to get marks across all attempts.
Then assuming you also offered a non-crossed-out solution, that is non-standard marking.

Silly Sausage

HSC
Most of the time teachers don't look at the crossed out part. Btw for maths exams, diagrams must be in pen or pencil?
You should still cross out very lightly (e.g. A single streak that still leaves your working out legible just in case.)
For HSC, you have to use black/blue pens for diagrams but for school you should ask your teacher if you're allowed pencils.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)