Full marks for working out. (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Is it true that if you include the full working out for a question and it's right, you will get full marks even if you get the wrong answer because that would be seen as a calculation error, and the marker would see that you understand the concept since you included full working out. Is this true?

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Is it true that if you include the full working out for a question and it's right, you will get full marks even if you get the wrong answer because that would be seen as a calculation error, and the marker would see that you understand the concept since you included full working out. Is this true?
No. Then i would have gotten 66/70 for my MX1 instead of 60/70.

Last edited:

photastic

HSC
Read every marking criteria and obtaining full marks requires "correct solution" which means you must have the correct answer.

hypermax

HSC
N/A
Yes/no it depends on the teacher but from hsc marking, I remember my maths teacher, who was a hsc marking telling me that they generally award the full marks for the scenario you have said. But they don't do this without consulting with head marker of the marking center. It also depends on the question itself and the marking criteria they came up with. If it was a two marker then yes you will get the full marks but if it was a 3 or 4 marker you will probably get most of the marks.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Yes/no it depends on the teacher but from hsc marking, I remember my maths teacher, who was a hsc marking telling me that they generally award the full marks for the scenario you have said. But they don't do this without consulting with head marker of the marking center. It also depends on the question itself and the marking criteria they came up with. If it was a two marker then yes you will get the full marks but if it was a 3 or 4 marker you will probably get most of the marks.
SMH at this.. I have a buddy that ordered their exam response/raw report. One of them lost 2 marks for having a carry on in a 3 marker. For 2 markers, you certainly won't get the full 2 marks... It's always 1 or 2 marks for correct solution in marking criteria. http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/2013/pdf_doc/2013-marking-guide-maths-ext-1.pdf

photastic

HSC
Absolutely wrong. OP, Listen to YunLi, I lost marks according to my exam report due to incorrect answers.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Absolutely wrong. OP, Listen to YunLi, I lost marks according to my exam report due to incorrect answers.
Actually, it IS sometimes true. The HSC markers decide on this before marking, based on the marks allocated and their assessment of what skills are being tested. But more often than not, it is not the case.

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
Definitely not! You'll probably get full marks for working out and a wrong solution if you had a transcription error (copied the question wrong) but other than that they'll never give you marks for just working out. Usually the case is you'll get marks for working out but they'll never award full marks in any case for a wrong solution. 1-2 markers usually wont have enough working out to give you full marks for just that anyway.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Definitely not! You'll probably get full marks for working out and a wrong solution if you had a transcription error (copied the question wrong) but other than that they'll never give you marks for just working out. Usually the case is you'll get marks for working out but they'll never award full marks in any case for a wrong solution. 1-2 markers usually wont have enough working out to give you full marks for just that anyway.
How many HSC markers do you know?

They WILL often give full marks for a calculation error (not just a transcription error), provided the provided it is ONLY a calculation error, and provided the error doesn't make the question easier.

Martin_SSEDU

HSC

They WILL often give full marks for a calculation error (not just a transcription error), provided the provided it is ONLY a calculation error, and provided the error doesn't make the question easier.
well of course they might have a range of error to compensate for those who rounded during calculations but other than that there is no reason to give full marks if a solution is incorrect even if there might be working out. As I said if it was a 1-2 marker you're probably not getting full marks for an incorrect solution but if it was a 4 marker and you had perfect working out but wrote down a completely wrong solution at the end you'd see yourself getting 3 marks at most.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC

Can you give evidence of this? Because i'm really highly doubting there's any truth in this. I don't think it would be very kind to mislead people into thinking they shouldn't care/double check their solutions cause they would think they would get full marks for putting some random solution on the paper just for the fun of it.

Also why would they do that if they were say trying to differentiate the state rankers and the ones who just missed out on it. I'm sure there are many people who would get 100% if not for calculation errors.

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Can you give evidence of this? Because i'm really highly doubting there's any truth in this. I don't think it would be very kind to mislead people into thinking they shouldn't care/double check their solutions cause they would think they would get full marks for putting some random solution on the paper just for the fun of it.

Also why would they do that if they were say trying to differentiate the state rankers and the ones who just missed out on it. I'm sure there are many people who would get 100% if not for calculation errors.
I can vouch for what braintic claimed.

HSC marking is much more flexible than what most students think. Students are usually deducted marks for demonstrating a non understanding or misunderstanding of Mathematics on their paper. A calculation error is not demonstrating either of those.

Of course students should be careful when making their calculations. But in the case that the student is clearly demonstrating that they know what they're doing, but just miscalculated, they may still get the mark.

Also, a lesser known fact is that the marking criteria is relaxed further as you go deeper into the paper. When you hit say Question 16, then the markers will be finding excuses to give you the marks! If the question requires at some point the double angle formula in the working out and you just randomly write down the double angle formula somewhere on the page, chances are you'll get a mark for it.

So conversely, if it seems that many students are getting full marks for a question and the mean is 14/15, they will try to lower it by tightening the criteria slightly.

braintic

HSC
N/A

Well, I'm a teacher of more than 25 years, and although I have never marked the HSC myself, I regularly talk to teachers who have.
Also, I didn't say it applied to every question, probably even a minority of questions. The markers generally decide beforehand what will be accepted and what will not, based on the marks available and the skills that are being tested in the question.
Perhaps you could provide evidence for "really highly doubting there's any truth in this". How many HSC markers have you communicated with?

Last edited:

mreditor16

HSC
Actually, it IS sometimes true. The HSC markers decide on this before marking, based on the marks allocated and their assessment of what skills are being tested. But more often than not, it is not the case.
In contrast to the majority of views presented on this thread, it is actually possible that you may get full marks for your answer if all your working out is correct and just your final answer is wrong (e.g. due to inputting incorrectly into the calculator). Its just that this happens very rarely - hence, a lot of people on this thread thinking it never happens.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I just remembered now that I called Board of Studies a few weeks ago and they said you will lose marks if end up with a wrong answer. They said it's your fault for getting the answer wrong so you will lose marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)