Should I buy another textbook? (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I currently have "New Senior Mathematics For Years 11 and 12 Second Edition by J.B Fitzpatrick" that I bought for $100, yes I know that is quite expensive. But I didn't buy this book, it's was another person that bought this for me last year and I knew nothing about books. Now the same person is telling me to buy another book called Success One for Maths and my tutor is telling me the same thing, and I actually do want to buy that book but the fact that I spent $100 on a book that I don't use much is really annoying even though I do want to buy Success One, what do I do?

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
I guess some papers have solutions on BOS (board). And there's an abundance of other maths past papers anyway if you don't want to buy it. Your school library/local library probably has success one so best to grab hold of it when it's not during exam period (because it'll be available) and keep renewing it as many times as you are permitted to, to obtain maximum benefit from it.

I had the 3 unit one but I never got the 2 unit one which I borrowed from libraries.

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I guess some papers have solutions on BOS (board). And there's an abundance of other maths past papers anyway if you don't want to buy it. Your school library/local library probably has success one so best to grab hold of it when it's not during exam period (because it'll be available) and keep renewing it as many times as you are permitted to, to obtain maximum benefit from it.

I had the 3 unit one but I never got the 2 unit one which I borrowed from libraries.
I do want to buy it, but I feel like if I do, the $100 book will be gone to waste because literally I won't be using it if I get Success One, but I'll ask my library or my teachers.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
I do want to buy it, but I feel like if I do, the $100 book will be gone to waste because literally I won't be using it if I get Success One, but I'll ask my library or my teachers.
Sell your $100 book

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
No lol

If you want some of your money back you will probably have to sell it for significantly lower.
Of course, but what I mean is that is the book even worth $100 when it's brand new?

manishaestelle

HSC
I currently have "New Senior Mathematics For Years 11 and 12 Second Edition by J.B Fitzpatrick" that I bought for $100, yes I know that is quite expensive. But I didn't buy this book, it's was another person that bought this for me last year and I knew nothing about books. Now the same person is telling me to buy another book called Success One for Maths and my tutor is telling me the same thing, and I actually do want to buy that book but the fact that I spent $100 on a book that I don't use much is really annoying even though I do want to buy Success One, what do I do?
Past papers are online as well on bos u don't have to buy a past papers book

manishaestelle

HSC
Yea then just get the book who cares about money it's your hsc that's what I did I didn't care about the money just got them and studied once u earn a good mark you wouldn't sem to care about the money

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Yea then just get the book who cares about money it's your hsc that's what I did I didn't care about the money just got them and studied once u earn a good mark you wouldn't sem to care about the money
Yeah true, but I'm afraid that if I buy the text book I end up doing bad in my school tests, I always think of the disadvantages. (I know, I shouldn't)

manishaestelle

HSC
Maths is all about understanding and applying the concepts you won't do bad If you do hsc papers look into trial papers as well to balance it out

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I don't get how u will do bad?
I also ask myself the same thing, but I always say "but" or "what if", it really annoys me. I just had a look at Pascal Press, and they are selling Success One 2015 edition of $35, man I want to get that so bad.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
In a few weeks time, there will be a very big Book Sales by Lifeline at Thornleigh Community Centre (near Bunnings) on Sat & Sunday April 18 - 19 (8 am to 5 pm). I have many copies of Success One Past HSC Exam papers & solutions bought over the years at such sales: for $2 to $10 (mostly less than $5). I have 3 copies of old Fitzpatrick for Maths Ext 1, bought for $2 or $3 each.

If you are interested, you should turn up about 7.45 am Sat - as many parents arrive early to grab the bargains.

Last edited:

Kaido

be.
HSC
Tbh, you're wasting more time asking around/looking for bargains/buying the goddamn book compared to simply visiting either Dan, nerd's or Spiral's resources and just grind the living out of those
(this is exactly what i did, and out of say 20 books i bought, i didn't even attempt 20% of it lol)

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Success one is hit and miss for some subjects. Avoid it for chemistry and physics.
NSM is a decent textbook, but if it is the old version, the tough questions tend to be at Q2.

And if you are looking for past hsc, I have zipped most of them as sets available by year from 1967-2008 and 2010 (I hope to finish sets for 2009-2014 soon, 2005 onwards have solution, I will hopefully scan solutions for the older papers)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)