Is it worth the drop from 2u to General? [PRELIM] (1 Viewer)

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
My subjects right now are;
English advanced
Economics
Business Studies
Modern History
Legal studies
Mathematics

I understand this is prelim but I was wondering how much the drop from general math would impact my ATAR? My 2u marks right now aren't greeat , I bombed every test so far. And iirc the HSC content is around 40% prelim for 2u math?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
My subjects right now are;
English advanced
Economics
Business Studies
Modern History
Legal studies
Mathematics

I understand this is prelim but I was wondering how much the drop from general math would impact my ATAR? My 2u marks right now aren't greeat , I bombed every test so far. And iirc the HSC content is around 40% prelim for 2u math?
What time of degree are you looking at? You might have recommended/assumed knowledge of 2 unit mathematics.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
What time of degree are you looking at?
My choices are very conflicted right now, but so far I'd like to either pursue a career in the Police force, ADF (Do a degree in UNSW via them) or Law. I understand with law as it is prestigious I'd need considerably high ATAR. And If I drop maths completely it would be a massive detriment for my ATAR but General would be too..

astroman

HSC
My choices are very conflicted right now, but so far I'd like to either pursue a career in the Police force, ADF (Do a degree in UNSW via them) or Law. I understand with law as it is prestigious I'd need considerably high ATAR. And If I drop maths completely it would be a massive detriment for my ATAR but General would be too..
don't drop to general, you've missed 3/4 of the course, it's better to stick with 2u maths and keep bombing out or try your best to pick it up and it wont affect your atar since it will count as your 12th unit.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I'm not sure anymore, I heard the N award is very dangerous and so I'm not sure if could scrape through the 2u course?

astroman

HSC
I'm not sure anymore, I heard the N award is very dangerous and so I'm not sure if could scrape through the 2u course?
aren't n awards only given for not doing tasks? I believe there is no pass/fail criteria in year 12.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
I recall astro wanting to make a similar decision earlier last year

But he decided to continue with 2 Unit and I'm pretty sure that he has improved a fair bit

astroman

HSC
I recall astro wanting to make a similar decision earlier last year

But he decided to continue with 2 Unit and I'm pretty sure that he has improved a fair bit
indeed i stuck with it and was bombing 2u, basically the whole class was lol. But i rememberd that even if i do fail for whatever reasons it won't count towards the atar since it's my 12th unit but i've managed to improve quite a bit.

Kaido

be.
HSC
mif is the best book hands down, esp the applications part, there are a variety of challenging Q

Ekman

HSC
I know people who used MIF for maths and got state ranks, so I don't see the big deal behind using them

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Did you take the HSC course knowing you'd be bombing it in the end? So you allocated time to just focus on your other 10 units?

astroman

HSC
Yeah I am currently using the maths in focus book.
OK i don't want to judge but it would be safe to say that the reasons for your poor results in Math exams are at a due cause of this textbook. It may be a good book for schools to use but only because it explains the very basics of the topics and doesn't even go close to providing exam style questions that are going to be in your trials and HSC. The book is hated amongst students on this forum and we would recommend you start using another textbook immediately or consolidate your practice to past papers if you can't get another book. The book is too simple and you won't expose yourself to difficult questions which exam writers will throw into papers. Yes you might get homework from this book but just complete it and do proper study from another source since this textbook is basically a waste of time for proper study. If you want to get the foundations set then fine, by all means use it as much as you want but once your clear with ideas get rid of the book and do past papers. The book is loaded with repetitive styled questions unlike other books like cambridge or New Senior Maths which use a variety of styled questions especially similar to HSC to give you a better idea of how questions are like and what markers will expect of you to know how to do from studying a particular topic. Sorry for ranting about the shitness of the book but frankly its the truth, i fell into this trap personally and suffered at a cause of it. I now consolidate it only for the compulsory use of it for school homework and do the proper study from past papers and questions from other textbooks. I hope this helps.

tl;dr
Don't use Maths in Focus, it is shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)