Failing Mathematics 2 U.Should i drop to General Maths?Engeering w/out Mathematics? (1 Viewer)

aaron_s

HSC
Hey guys so i got my half yearly results back for Mathematics and i failed big time (22%). I have been advised to drop at the end of year 11 but i decided to stick with it to try and improve. I got 49% in my first task for a task with a weighing of 25%. Im really worried now cause i dont know if general will be too wordy for me. I do have a tutor and i do put the effort in but i just cant seem to get it right. Currently i do: Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Standard English. Im currently 6/14 in Physics and improved alot compared to end of prelim (13/15). And i havent got the results back for the rest but im pretty sure they're not too bad and i improved in them. I want to try do Engineering and Commerce in Macquarie, Ryde or engineering at UTS. I emailed Macq and they said as long as i get the ATAR (82) i can do a bridging course.

So guys please help me. Should i drop to get the ATAR i want? Or should i stick with it? Is general too wordy and is it possible to get 80+ atar if i do really well in general and as long as i go good in the other subjects. My school ranking is 212 too, which really doesnt help. Im really really worried so any help will be appreciated guys. :smile:

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Re: Failing Mathematics 2 U.Should i drop to General Maths?Engeering w/out Mathematic

Smhh these threads are becoming too common.

MIF is the reason why...

aaron_s

HSC
Re: Failing Mathematics 2 U.Should i drop to General Maths?Engeering w/out Mathematic

Yes we do

astroman

HSC

Ok keep it since you have missed out on lots of the general course and it will be very stressful to catch up on 1 and a half year's amount of work in just a few weeks. And you will definitely need it to stay competitive in physics and at least need it for engineering at UNI. Study math's regularly, revise revise revise! maths is all revision, do it all day everyday and you will become the smartest in your school, serious. Do questions from past papers, forget doing textbook questions, textbooks are for getting the fundamental formulas and theorems down and learning rules, your main source of applying the gained knowledge should be in HSC past papers. Do them early starting ASAP. The more you do the better you will get, remember practice makes perfect.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC

Just don't use maths in focus because it's a rlly basic textbook so use Cambridge instead.

astroman

HSC

There was similar discussion to a similar post made yesterday and has some good solutions, here is one i wrote previously.

OK i don't want to judge but it would be safe to say that the reasons for your poor results in Math exams are at a due cause of this textbook. It may be a good book for schools to use but only because it explains the very basics of the topics and doesn't even go close to providing exam style questions that are going to be in your trials and HSC. The book is hated amongst students on this forum and we would recommend you start using another textbook immediately or consolidate your practice to past papers if you can't get another book. The book is too simple and you won't expose yourself to difficult questions which exam writers will throw into papers. Yes you might get homework from this book but just complete it and do proper study from another source since this textbook is basically a waste of time for proper study. If you want to get the foundations set then fine, by all means use it as much as you want but once your clear with ideas get rid of the book and do past papers. The book is loaded with repetitive styled questions unlike other books like cambridge or New Senior Maths which use a variety of styled questions especially similar to HSC to give you a better idea of how questions are like and what markers will expect of you to know how to do from studying a particular topic. Sorry for ranting about the shitness of the book but frankly its the truth, i fell into this trap personally and suffered at a cause of it. I now consolidate it only for the compulsory use of it for school homework and do the proper study from past papers and questions from other textbooks. I hope this helps.

tl;dr
Don't use Maths in Focus, it is shit.

aaron_s

HSC

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Ive been pretty much going through each chapter revision but those questions arent even close to the ones in the exam. That helps alot. Im only worried if ill be forced to drop now.

astroman

HSC

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Ive been pretty much going through each chapter revision but those questions arent even close to the ones in the exam. That helps alot. Im only worried if ill be forced to drop now.
no no no, you can't EVER be forced to drop. I've had this talk with my teacher with english but i didn't care what she said, it's your choice. Teachers can only advise and NOT force.

Last edited:

aaron_s

HSC

GREAT! Thats the only thing i was really worried about, thank you so much mate, helped a lot!

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

no no no, you can't EVER be forced to drop. I've had this talk with my teacher with english but i didn't care what she said, it's your choice. Teachers can only advise and NOT force.
Private/Catholic Schools can force you to drop subjects.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

But don't drop if its assumed/recommended/required knowledge etc for your degree.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A

Too late to change to General, I'm afraid. What is your tutor's background; he may not be to blame but at the same time he may be unable to help you. And did you say you are thinking of doing Engineering?

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC

I think you should probably stick with it. Especially if you want to do engineering (which is heavy maths, right?). And also because math is one of those things you just need a lot of time with. You need to be doing it every single day, make time for it. Maybe even more than your other subjects (I know I do - because I sometimes struggle with it). So don't worry you've done not as well as you wanted to start of this year. Especially because you have tonnes of time to improve yourself.

Like others have said get a second textbook, I use cambridge. It's good. Nice and pretty as well, nicely formatted.

I was actually looking at the excel mathematics book today and actually thought it was really great. For revision that is. It gives you all the things you need to make sure you know. Then you can go back to your textbook for anything you don't understand.

aaron_s

HSC

If they force me to drop, i would probably have to drop and pick up on general then do a bridging course if i get into that uni

aaron_s

HSC

Yes i was thinking bachelor of engineering with the degree of commerce :)

aaron_s

HSC

Thanks alot! Really helps, thats what i was thinking too as long as they wont force me to drop which hopefully wont happen.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC

I think you should use mif to get the basics down then you can burn it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)