Deciding your unit? (1 Viewer)

Riven101

HSC
N/A
So currently I am in year 10, doing maths 5.3. In about about a month I will have to select my subjects for year 11-12. So my problem now is whether or not to just do Advanced or Advanced + Extension 1. My school ranking is a bit higher then average and my marks are at about an average 5.3 lvl. I am considering either doing engineering or computer science in university. So how hard is Extension 1 and do you guys think I would be capable of doing it?

Just want the opinions of other previous members that have done the hsc.

Lastly if you guys think it would be a good idea to go with Extension 1, what are your recommendations of what I could start doing to prepare myself for year 11, and start doing some extra work over the holidays to get ready?

Thanks a lot guys.

(one more thing how much is the work load and can you continue to do things like the gym,video games and hanging out with friends during year 11 and 12? What is a recommended amount of time to study per night? )

Silly Sausage

HSC
If you're engineering or computer science you should definitely choose Ext 1 or even 2 (the higher the math, the better), to prepare, practice as much algebra and trigonometry as possible.
As for the latter it really depends on the individual since it's not how much time you spend studying but how you study.

Feynman

HSC
Yes, you should do Extension 1 maths, especially if you are thinking of doing computer science or engineering, as extension is essential for both courses. If you put in the work then of course you'll do well. Just make sure that you are comfortable with everything you have learnt in maths so far, and fix up any holes in your foundation from questions you have gotten wrong in your exams.

Also, there are some optional topics for the 5.3 course like circle geometry, logarithms and polynomials. Assuming your school teaches them in year 10, usually at the end of the year, then that can gauge whether you should extension. If your school doesn't teach these topics, you might want to look in a textbook that has them and teach yourself some of the concepts as preparation (it helps later) but it's not mandatory.

Last edited:

Riven101

HSC
N/A
If you're engineering or computer science you should definitely choose Ext 1 or even 2 (the higher the math, the better), to prepare, practice as much algebra and trigonometry as possible.
As for the latter it really depends on the individual since it's not how much time you spend studying but how you study.
Do you think most year 10 5.3 students are capable of doing well in ext 1 and what are your recommendations for "how you study" .

Riven101

HSC
N/A
Yes, you should do Extension 1 maths, especially if you are thinking of doing computer science or engineering, as extension is essential for both courses. If you put in the work then of course you'll do well. Just make sure that you are comfortable with everything you have learnt in maths so far, and fix up any holes in your foundation from questions you have gotten wrong in your exams.

Also, there are some optional topics for the 5.3 course like circle geometry, logarithms and polynomials. Assuming your school teaches them in year 10, usually at the end of the year, then that can gauge whether you should extension. If your school doesn't teach these topics, you might want to look in a textbook that has them and teach yourself some of the concepts as preparation (it helps later) but it's not mandatory.
Thanks for the Information.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
im on the same boat as you mate. im gonna give ex 1 a go if its too hard you can always drop down..but you cant drop up from 2u to 3u..you should give it a go for atleast a term as you are doing 5.3 which leads to 3u

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the best recommendation is to take the highest level maths possible in year 11 if you are entering from 5.3. Especially if you are thinking of doing engineering or computer science!

Check out wootube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq0EGvLTyy-LLT1oUSO_0FQ and maybe start doing some light algebra from the 3 unit year 11 mathematics book.

Avoid Maths in Focus, and use textbooks such as Cambridge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)