Help with line of best fit! (1 Viewer)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Screenshot 2015-06-08 at 14.24.44.png find the equation of the best fit

ANSWER: y=5x+48.5 (WTF)

Can anyone please do it with full steps?

Last edited:

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Umm yeah..can i get a basic solution? Im in year 10 and i have no idea what you did there... The way we are taught is to first get any 2 points on the line and find the gradient of it..then use the point gradient formula to find y=mx+b, thus being the equation..but ive tried like so many different points on the line but the gradient varies from 3:75 to 5:5 but not 5 as the answer shows

leehuan

HSC
Hm, the process of taking two points is strictly defined to be correct for when you have ONLY two points to choose from. If you pick any two points out of all of that, then you can get any random number (between 3.75 and 5.5 as you've stated) as your value for the gradient.

Any of this is possible
(i) - They gathered all the gradients possible and just picked the integer (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) closest to the averages of the gradients
(ii) - A SPECIFIC group of two yields the gradient 5
(iii) - Use of mathematics general 2
(iv) - If you plot the points, m is approximately equal to 5. So 5 must be correct
Or any other reason.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Umm yeah..can i get a basic solution? Im in year 10 and i have no idea what you did there... The way we are taught is to first get any 2 points on the line and find the gradient of it..then use the point gradient formula to find y=mx+b, thus being the equation..but ive tried like so many different points on the line but the gradient varies from 3:75 to 5:5 but not 5 as the answer shows
Exactly, for experimental data, unless the data happen to lie exactly on a straight line (which is highly unlikely, due to random errors etc.), the gradients obtained by using two different points will be different for different pairs (in general). The method they taught you won't get you the line of best fit; to find that, we need other methods.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Exactly, for experimental data, unless the data happen to lie exactly on a straight line (which is highly unlikely, due to random errors etc.), the gradients obtained by using two different points will be different for different pairs (in general). The method they taught you won't get you the line of best fit; to find that, we need other methods.
They want us to find the equation of the line of best fit..in the format of y=mx+b

leehuan

HSC
They want us to find the equation of the line of best fit..in the format of y=mx+b
According to WolframAlpha, the LOBF is different to the one your solution says (assuming I inputted the data correctly): http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...,{20.4,152},{23.5,167},{24.3,169},{21.4,156}}

Wolfram also shows the residual plot, value, etc.
Compare your textbook answer to the theoretical answer...

Using the point-grad formula was, as already stated, bound to cause error in accuracy.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Maybe check your textbook or notes for worked solutions. (What they're doing isn't actually the line of best fit as far as I can tell; it's at best a rough estimate, if you're lucky.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)