Maths In Focus (1 Viewer)

Aeyis

HSC
Just found out my school is going to be using MIF for Maths in senior years (I'm in year 10) and after browsing through this forum , i've learnt that MIF is terrible. Is this true or a running joke? Will it hinder my ability and lead me to failure?

astroman

HSC
true, questions are basic and repetitive and far from the difficulty of a real exam. Use it to understand the basic and consolidate your learning from other textbooks like cambridge, and past papers.

mreditor16

HSC
I think these posts would give some insights and also clarify the treatment of it on BOS -

My school uses only MIF for 2u and we manage to get around 15 b6's every year.
It's not the best of course but it's not 'useless'. If used alongside past papers it should be fine.
It really depends on the skills of the individual though, if they can handle more difficult questions from like Cambridge then by all means they should, but otherwise MIF caters well for the below average to average student
I've been meaning to say what Swaan said (very on-point above) for a while now - I too reckon the hate of MIF is a bit excessive. Yes, it might not be the best textbook to help above average students boost their marks etc, but for relatively weaker students who are struggling to get right the more straightforward questions, MIF is a useful resource, because Cambridge and the like don't have enough of such questions. Such struggling students would be confused and mind-boggled by the sophisticated and more complex questions in textbooks such as Cambridge. So could the hate for MIF be toned down a bit please - it is actually a more useful textbook for some students (e.g. Band 4 and below) and less useful for others (e.g. Band 5 and above).
I can agree with swan .

This is because when I was doing notes and questions from Cambridge .... I honestly found it a huge struggle .

MIF Helped me build up my knowledge base to a level where I could attempt harder questions .
*personal anecdote *
My brother used MIF

Mathematics HSC Mark: 97

Mathematics Extension 1 HSC Mark: 47 / 50
Cambridge for 2unit is ideal. It has the skills section, development then challenge. But if you guys are talking about 3 unit and higher then...idk
What's wrong with telling people to not use MIF?

Some people don't know that it's a really basic textbook and then they do their school exams and wonder why the questions were so hard and ones that they'd never come across. It's mainly for people who are unaware that there are better textbooks out there than those provided by their school. For people that struggle with maths, there are several factors which might have caused this including the useless education system from kindy to year 6 and teachers not suited to teaching higher level maths.

I know many people who were capable at doing really well in maths, but using mif gave them a false impression of exam difficulty and as a result, didn't do as well as they could. Yes, people can do numerous past papers and still do really well using MIF but some people simply don't even know that past papers exist. Seriously, people at my school starting getting overexcited when my maths teachers provided some western regions past papers. *facepalm*

There's no harm in informing people, whether or not they choose to take the advice is entirely up to them.
In some of the threads, MIF is strongly presented as an utterly hopless textbook that is useful for no students, and if you use it, you're going to "fail". That's some pretty unfair treatment and stereotyping of the book as a resource for HSC students.
Well then clearly it's an exaggeration. Hyperbole can be used to prove a point.

~ hsc english ~
I actually agree with this. Sure, MIF may not be a textbook that matches completely the HSC standard of questions, but nevertheless it serves as very good foundational knowledge before tackling harder textbooks like Cambridge, for some-tackling Cambridge straight away can be disheartening. To be honest, I used MIF in year 11 to study HSC maths course-and I honestly don't think it deserves to be slammed so much-and I did not fail my HSC maths, so really, different resources works for different people, and past papers will always be the best indication of HSC standards-no need to overwhelmingly promote hate sentiments towards MIF or implicitly see people who use it as inferior or stupid or something along those lines.

Whilst I acknowledge your good intentions and personal experience, the only deficit in your argument about telling people not to use MIF is you don't consider/present the possibility of the other side of the story as well-this can potentially present a limited, subjective, albeit possibly true, but non-holistic view of MIF as universal fact when it is not.
I think that it's hated on because of the fact that most BoSers here are Band 5 - 6 students and hence are more likely to have used / use higher order textbooks such as Cambridge which makes MIF questions look a lot easier

To be honest I think its got more to do with the user than the actual resource itself

^ If you're given the best resources in the world it doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get the best marks; you have to learn how to use these resources most effectively

I was coming 86 / 120 in preliminary Physics last year (I cringe evrytiem) and I am now in the top 10 without any tuition

The only thing that changed from then and now is my ability to use my resources more effectively (i.e. I started doing the plethora of past papers available on BoSers dropboxs, etc.)
I think the point here is that regardless of what textbook you use, the point of study is that it should not be easy - it should be challenging and help you work on areas you need to strengthen. The only thing that should ideally feel easy is the exam, when your answers actually count. If someone is challenged and feels that they are learning from what others consider a relatively "easy" textbook/past paper, then good on them. The problem arises when people think that if they've got 100% on a practice exam, then they've done well. It's great, but you've learned nothing doing it. As long as people use relevant material that teaches them useful new things, it's good.

Same thing applies to studying from something too difficult right away. You won't be learning from it because you can't process it. Gotta always be able to take a new skill away from your studies, which means studying at a level appropriate to you.

That's why a "best" study resource does not exist - nothing is one size fits all.
Yeah, well all this is based on assumptions. We're assuming all BOSers fall under that category. What about a BOSer who has newly signed up, is struggling immensely, is getting 25/100 in past papers and then when asking on a thread about how to improve, they get an answer of "Use Cambridge. Ditch MIF". That student will probably we worse off after implementing the suggestions provided by other users. In my opinion, little time/consideration is being given to the specific circumstances of the individual, instead we seem to be proceeding with sweeping generalisations.
Take what you want from these posts, I just thought I'd link you the posts, since a discussion was had about this recently.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Just found out my school is going to be using MIF for Maths in senior years (I'm in year 10) and after browsing through this forum , i've learnt that MIF is terrible. Is this true or a running joke? Will it hinder my ability and lead me to failure?
Don't worry too much about it. Your school, like many others, have decided to opt for MIF, probably because they are afraid, many of you, from the lower-ranked schools will be discouraged by textbooks like Cambridge, because its treatment is deeper and many of the excercises more challenging.

If your school has adopted MIF as the text, there isn't much you can do about it. But what you can do is to acquire one or two other textbooks as well, for your own study and use, in addition to your MIF. If textbooks are too costly for you, there is a Lifeline Book Sale coming up at Knox Grammar - train station: Warrawee?? ( Thurs & Fri, July 9 - 10: be really early) where you can pick up used textbooks at $2 to $5 each. Maybe try to get a Cambridge and a Fitzpatrick. Does not matter if you do not have the latest edition. You can also pick up all sorts of HSC study guides for a song.

Last edited:

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
tbh there have been countless debates on MIF where people have differing views. Seriously though, compare it to different textbooks and the difference will be pretty clear. I'd strongly recommend against using it.

Aeyis

HSC
Don't worry too much about it. Your school, like many others, have decided to opt for MIF, probably because they are afraid, many of you, from the lower-ranked schools will be discouraged by textbooks like Cambridge, because its treatment is deeper and many of the excercises more challenging.

If your school has adopted MIF as the text, there isn't much you can do about it. But what you can do is to acquire one or two other textbooks as well, for your own study and use, in addition to your MIF. If textbooks are too costly for you, there is a Lifeline Book Sale coming up at Knox Grammar - train station: Warrawee?? ( Thurs & Fri, July 9 - 10: be really early) where you can pick up used textbooks at $2 to $5 each. Maybe try to get a Cambridge and a Fitzpatrick. Does not matter if you do not have the latest edition. You can also pick up all sorts of HSC study guides for a song.
Ahh, this makes a lot more sense now since I go to a school ranked 600~, thanks for that !

Aeyis

HSC
Much appreciation for your insight, has widened my view on MIF and I can understand it was a textbook that caters for a 'below average to average student', however I only worry as I happen to be above average, but otherwise thank you thank you !

keepLooking

HSC
Much appreciation for your insight, has widened my view on MIF and I can understand it was a textbook that caters for a 'below average to average student', however I only worry as I happen to be above average, but otherwise thank you thank you !
Personally, I have used MIF for my entire Year 11 and a quarter of Year 12. I'm really glad Cambridge exists because after I was introduced to it I had less trouble when doing past trial papers.

To be honest, I don't think your teacher will care if you start using another textbook when you are understanding the concepts. I would consider myself average but since using Cambridge (ditching MIF) I have got much better. It doesn't matter where you are - average / below average or retarded, a (better) textbook will help you.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
my school uses mif too but my teacher gives us a bunch of other worksheets with harder maths

Aeyis

HSC
my school uses mif too but my teacher gives us a bunch of other worksheets with harder maths
Were these worksheets out of a certain textbook? If so , which textbook?

Feynman

HSC
MIF is good, just don't rely on it completely and if you find it too easy, use Cambridge

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Cambridge has 2U books. Inconvenient & hard to figure out which part is 2U from the 3U books.

kabytto

HSC
Will it hinder my ability and lead me to failure?
If I may, the opinion that MIF is pretty shit/ok/good/awesome all relates to the level of competency in your/his/her maths.
- If you are struggling with just learning the basics, then MIF is the book for you
- If you love maths and your school nails the crap out of maths, then you will be punching waay above MIF's standard

But as countless people have pointed out, MIF sets the line for the basics. If you struggle with MIF, then don't waste your money on cambridge.
If your school has decided to run with MIF and not opted to give you harder material, then your school USUALLY knows what its doing. Unless you feel that you are way too smart compared to those in your school- every teacher will welcome you to ask him/her for extra material. There will be no teacher who will say no.

mreditor16

HSC
If I may, the opinion that MIF is pretty shit/ok/good/awesome all relates to the level of competency in your/his/her maths.
- If you are struggling with just learning the basics, then MIF is the book for you
- If you love maths and your school nails the crap out of maths, then you will be punching waay above MIF's standard

But as countless people have pointed out, MIF sets the line for the basics. If you struggle with MIF, then don't waste your money on cambridge.
If your school has decided to run with MIF and not opted to give you harder material, then your school USUALLY knows what its doing. Unless you feel that you are way too smart compared to those in your school- every teacher will welcome you to ask him/her for extra material. There will be no teacher who will say no.
+1 great post!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)