Year 10 Mathematics in Vietnam (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Was sorting out my photos from my trip to Vietnam last year and found some photos that I thought some of you may appreciate.

One of the children was in Year 10 and was doing inequalities that we do in Extension 2 Year 12 here in NSW! A lot of the inequalities there were well beyond Extension 2 even and very 'Olympiad'-esque in nature.

I didn't get a chance to stick around long enough to take more photos but the general gist was that their Year 10~11 = our Year 12 Extension 1 + 2.

Open the images in a new tab for a larger version.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Lol I wonder how this compares with china

in any case I can do maybe 0.0000000000001% of them questions

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
What is the main reason behind this? Shortage of teachers?
Nope. It's not a priority of the BOSTES apparently, because they apparently believe that knowledge based problem solving is the way to go. (Fun fact: it isn't for most real world problems, hence why we suck)

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
What is the main reason behind this? Shortage of teachers?
And note the pale difficulty of mathematics we have compared to the rest of the world. This is what happens when political correctness gets its way.

Just hecause we can make education more accessible doesn't mean we should. You're basically admitting your teachers suck,so you change the syllabus to make it easier.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
And note the pale difficulty of mathematics we have compared to the rest of the world. This is what happens when political correctness gets its way.

Just hecause we can make education more accessible doesn't mean we should. You're basically admitting your teachers suck,so you change the syllabus to make it easier.
The current HSC MX2 papers seem much easier than the HSC 4U / Leaving Certificate maths papers from ~50-100 years ago (probably similar story for many other HSC subjects too). Were the teaching standards in NSW higher back then? And if so, why?

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
The current HSC MX2 papers seem much easier than the HSC 4U / Leaving Certificate maths papers from ~50-100 years ago. We're the teaching standards in NSW higher back then? And if so, why?
Like I said, "accessibility". Because education shifted towards the public sector, they shifted all the syllabi to cater for the weakest students.

Orwell

HSC
We grew weak, soft and became pansies. Caved inwards.

'Oh, yes, he did get 4/50 but A+ for effort!'
'Exams are too hard, lets make them easier'

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Like I said, "accessibility". Because education shifted towards the public sector, they shifted all the syllabi to cater for the weakest students.
So the quality of teachers hasn't dropped too much since 50+ years ago? Or has that dropped too?

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
So the quality of teachers hasn't dropped too much since 50+ years ago? Or has that dropped too?
It dropped, though not immediately, but inevitably as the result of lowered educational standards, so teachers had less of a clue as to the things they were (and still are) teaching.

You can't teach if you don't understand it yourself.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Lol I wonder how this compares with china

in any case I can do maybe 0.0000000000001% of them questions
I don't know about China, but Hong Kong is crazy. I may be wrong, but according the document attached, it seems like the students sit 2x 3 hour exams... on the same day! The first from 8:30am to 11:30am, then 1:30pm to 4:30pm. In terms of difficulty, it goes quite well beyond Extension 2. A lot of real analysis.

Here is the 2010 one.

View attachment AL Pure Mathematics 2010 Paper1+2(E).pdf

Orwell

HSC
In addition to what's been previously said, the implementation of a syllabus in the first place proves to be a constraint on teachers. No longer do teachers tailor their lessons to the students needs and wants but rather show a strict adherence to a syllabus that somehow is mindful of everyone's abilities.

My aforementioned point also illustrates the decline of our teaching standards. Teachers are no longer distinguished, you don't search for quality anymore but rather mindless monkeys (not all the time, I've met quiet some teachers who've influenced me greatly) whose only burden is following the syllabus.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know about China, but Hong Kong is crazy. I may be wrong, but according the document attached, it seems like the students sit 2x 3 hour exams... on the same day! The first from 8:30am to 11:30am, then 1:30pm to 4:30pm. In terms of difficulty, it goes quite well beyond Extension 2. A lot of real analysis.

Here is the 2010 one.

View attachment 33126
That's crazy.

Imagine the uproar if they had math difficulties like that in Australia.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
That's crazy.

Imagine the uproar if they had math difficulties like that in Australia.
Oh I am reasonably confident that the media will have a field day when that happens, and they will almost certainly find some way to mention 'too many Asians in selective schools'.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Ditto.

I'd say the earlier HSC math papers were much harder than the ones now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)