Should I keep doing maths (2 unit)? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm currently in year 11 and I'm doing year 12 maths this year. I signed up for the accelerated class in year 10, because I thought that finishing one subject a year early would either give me more free time, or more time to study extra units (so I'll have more to fall back on in case I stuff something up).

The problem is, I've gotten marks in the 60-70% range in my maths assessments in the last 2 years. It's already term 2 and I only have a couple more internal assessments to go. I'm aiming for a 90+ ATAR so I'm guessing that marks like this aren't going to help much. Should I keep doing maths and see what I get at the end of the year? If I do, and end up doing really badly, should I redo it next year? I'm really worried that all this effort is going to waste.

My marks are considered below average in my class if that helps...

fluffchuck

HSC
No, just keep practising and you'll get the hang of it. If it seems too much you can drop it this year and join the year 11 cohort (hopefully aim for 80-90).

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
As suggested by fluff, don't give up. 60 - 70% is not a disaster and id necessary, you can re-sit next year for better marks. But this should be avoided if possible.

Also, what do you think "went wrong"? Since you are accelerated, you'd normally have been an above-average student before. Do you understand the maths so far. If not, which parts have been giving you problems? Are you understanding quite ok, but have been slow doing your test questions? You have to diagnose your problems and try to fix them.

Keep working hard, do lots of questions etc. But, if you have been doing it all wrong, then doing it 10 times as hard may not be the way to go. Without knowing your situation, it's hard to give useful advice. Get your teacher or someone knowledgeable about 2U maths to check you out; often you yourself don't know your own actual problem.

But, don't give up.

HSC
As suggested by fluff, don't give up. 60 - 70% is not a disaster and id necessary, you can re-sit next year for better marks. But this should be avoided if possible.

Also, what do you think "went wrong"? Since you are accelerated, you'd normally have been an above-average student before. Do you understand the maths so far. If not, which parts have been giving you problems? Are you understanding quite ok, but have been slow doing your test questions? You have to diagnose your problems and try to fix them.

Keep working hard, do lots of questions etc. But, if you have been doing it all wrong, then doing it 10 times as hard may not be the way to go. Without knowing your situation, it's hard to give useful advice. Get your teacher or someone knowledgeable about 2U maths to check you out; often you yourself don't know your own actual problem.

But, don't give up.
Pretty much that, I think. Also some careless mistakes.

Thanks, fluffchuck and Drongoski! I think I might talk to my teacher if I'm struggling with preparing for the next test, which is in the last week of the term.

Destan

HSC
Honestly, I recommend finding a tutor if anything. If you have a tutor I would suggest asking lots of questions whilst asking for sheets to do in your spare time. Many mathematics teachers told me to study 3 hours a day. Anything is possible, provided that you work and strive for it. It isn't impossible to receive 80%, just keep trying my friend.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd stick with it and you can always repeat the subject next year if you don't go so well in the HSC exam.

HSC
Honestly, I recommend finding a tutor if anything. If you have a tutor I would suggest asking lots of questions whilst asking for sheets to do in your spare time. Many mathematics teachers told me to study 3 hours a day. Anything is possible, provided that you work and strive for it. It isn't impossible to receive 80%, just keep trying my friend.
I'm a boarder at my school so it's hard to go to a tutor and/or get one to come to school. However I do have tutors back home who I see during the term breaks. They give me extra sheets and past papers, so that's a start. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)