How hard is 2U Math in Year 11/12 compared to math in Year 10? (1 Viewer)

iamastar

HSC
Just wondering because I am in Year 10 and currently struggling in math. I got 50% for my mid-terms (started off with 30% at the start of the year ... marks improved by 10% each test. Yeah, I'm that bad :frown2:) I am trying to improve because I didn't really try at all the first two terms but it is just so difficult, I'm not a natural at it.

My mum is forcing me to do at least 2U math (and if I have to do General, then I may as well not to do math at all, she says) So considering I have no choice, how hard is 2U math compared to the math in Year 10? Is it about the same, are there new concepts etc. Any information is appreciated!

Thanksss. :)

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
lots of new concepts lel

but there are alot of old concepts which are expanded upon as well

I didn't really try in yr10 either, and had a huge improvment going into yr11

anyways, 2U isn't hard. just put in time and effort and ezpz

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
I wonder what the hardest 2u topic is? Application of calculus to the real world?

leehuan

HSC
do 3u, it will help with 2u..expands on ur thinking
If OP is having problems in Yr 10 then 3U is not a good idea regardless of what "expanding on thinking" it can give because workload and the lack of being able to keep up will outweigh.

Simorgh

HSC
See if there is need to do Maths at all. For instance see if you have your eyes on a certain degree at Uni which might not require 2U Maths or otherwise has such a requirement.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
2U maths is piss easy, as long as you are putting in the effort

Although the questions can get hard at times and some concepts might take a while for your to wrap your head around

iamastar

HSC
See if there is need to do Maths at all. For instance see if you have your eyes on a certain degree at Uni which might not require 2U Maths or otherwise has such a requirement.
I am considering a Law degree. Although the information papers don't specify math in assumed knowledge, my mother is still forcing me.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I am considering a Law degree. Although the information papers don't specify math in assumed knowledge, my mother is still forcing me.
If you're considering Law then do at least 3U minimum as that will scale you higher (although you need to do well in that in order to benefit from scaling)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Also just saying but to do well in maths, you need to hone up your basics. If you screwed around a lot in junior years (not saying you did), redo the basics properly again and thoroughly before progressing into year 11 and 12 or else you're going to have very serious issues in maths

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
I failed yr 10 maths lol..Basically revised whole yr 10 in the dec holidays and I was all g

leehuan

HSC
If you're considering Law then do at least 3U minimum as that will scale you higher (although you need to do well in that in order to benefit from scaling)
Yeah no the point in your brackets holds priority.

I failed yr 10 maths lol..Basically revised whole yr 10 in the dec holidays and I was all g
Exactly how many people are motivated to do work in the holidays before they're in Year 12

Suu

HSC
N/A
Grade 11 2U> Grade 10
I honestly think my little brother can do half the Grade 10 questions

Also, maths isnt that important for law- the only thing you might be doing related to maths is finding the discriminant (ok that was a bad pun)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Yeah no the point in your brackets holds priority.

Exactly how many people are motivated to do work in the holidays before they're in Year 12
R U talking about after the year 11 yearlies (term 3) or in the christmas/summer break?

I think lots of people waste it rather than make effective use of it. You could (I don't know whether or not this goes in your favour) read your english texts, revise maths work, get a headstart on learning and making notes, compose essays/creatives, etc so then later in the year you can just focus on exam perfection

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Holiday is when I finish most of my notes and revision.
Have you tried learning ahead of others, compose essays/creatives, read texts again and again, do analysis, write up stuff for english (i.e. thesis statements), etc?

I think there's more than that to do in the holidays

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Yeah, like relax a little?
Nah, you need to make the most out of it rather than waste it

Also this saves time during school as it allows you to focus on exam technique, preparation and perfection during school

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)