HSC maths help thread (2U, MX1, MX2) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Given that we already have a prelim help maths thread, I decided to create this thread for you to post your HSC maths questions (for 2U, MX1 and MX2). You can use this for help or test others :)

I'll start: The graphs shown are of y=tanx and y=secx respectively

http://www.biology.arizona.edu/biomath/tutorials/trigonometric/graphics/trig_secant.gif
http://www.biology.arizona.edu/biomath/tutorials/trigonometric/graphics/trig_tan.gif

a) prove that secꝊ-tanꝊ=1/(secꝊ+tanꝊ)
b) Explain why 0<secꝊ-tanꝊ≤1 for 0≤Ꝋ<π/2
c) Solve the equation secꝊ-tanꝊ=1/2 for 0≤Ꝋ<π/2

(Ꝋ=0.644 radians)

(BTW this is a challenge question for the very top maths kids)

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Another question:

1.a. explain why the x-coordinate of any points of the intersection of y=f(x) and y=f^-1(x) satisfies e^x - x - 4=0
b. Show the equation of e^x - x - 4=0 has the root between x=0 and x=2 and use the method of 'having by intervals' to find this root correct to the nearest number

2. a. Consider the function f(x)=e^x/(1+e^x). Find f'(x) and deduce that f(x) is increasing for all x
b. State the range of f(x)
c. Find the inverse function f^-1(x)
d. Draw y=f(x) and y=f^-1(x) on the same diagram

i am struggling to understand what these 2 Q's mean

Thanks

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Another question:

1.a. explain why the x-coordinate of any points of the intersection of y=f(x) and y=f^-1(x) satisfies e^x - x - 4=0
b. Show the equation of e^x - x - 4=0 has the root between x=0 and x=2 and use the method of 'having by intervals' to find this root correct to the nearest number

2. a. Consider the function f(x)=e^x/(1+e^x). Find f'(x) and deduce that f(x) is increasing for all x

Thanks
Which parts don't you understand? Like for question 2), a) is standard (differentiate f and show the derivative is always positive), b)'s meaning is clear, and so are the meanings of c) and d).

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
The meanings of Q.1's parts are clear too (and you haven't told us what f(x) is for that one).

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
For 1 the orginal question was this:

a. Shetch f(x)=e^x-4, showing clearly the coordinates of any point of intersections with the axes and the equations of any asymptotes
b. On the same diagram sketch the graph of the inverse function f^-1(x) showing clearly any important features

then there's c and d which I posted up above

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
For 1 the orginal question was this:

a. Shetch f(x)=e^x-4, showing clearly the coordinates of any point of intersections with the axes and the equations of any asymptotes
b. On the same diagram sketch the graph of the inverse function f^-1(x) showing clearly any important features

then there's c and d which I posted up above
You do understand what the Q's mean though, right?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Another question:

Thanks
This you solve simultaneously (bolded)

This I believe is Integration (underlined)

Please correct me if I am wrong :(

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Another question:

Thanks
For this example, I am confused because it's an exponential over and exponential

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
For this example, I am confused because it's an exponential over and exponential
Well differentiating that is still just using the quotient rule. Have you tried using the quotient rule?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Well differentiating that is still just using the quotient rule. Have you tried using the quotient rule?
Yeah I know you have to do e^x/(1+e^x)>0

I haven't tried it (and in this case I don't really know how to use the quotient rule for exponentials)

Also what is this rule called:

y=3(4x+1)^2
dy/dx=24(4x+1)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
It said deduce f(x) is increasing for all x so doesn't that mean e^x/(1+e^x)>0 (must be the case as it is increasing)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
It said deduce f(x) is increasing for all x so doesn't that mean e^x/(1+e^x)>0 (must be the case as it is increasing)
No, that's irrelevant. E.g. The function g(x) = -e-x is increasing, yet always negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)