Advanced Calculators (1 Viewer)

LC14199

HSC
Hey Guys,

I'm itching to ask. Why the hell does BOSTES ban the use of graphing calculators, when they're allowed in all manner of other countries?? I would assume Universities don't really care about using one or not, because seriously, we live in a society where people don't NEED to remember all of this stuff, that's why we designed computers. If we can understand the concept, then that should be enough... Exams have not been adapted to modern standards. With all the new technology we have, half of the questions asked in exams become completely irrelevant. It should not be about remembering things, more understanding them.

Thoughts?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Hey Guys,

I'm itching to ask. Why the hell does BOSTES ban the use of graphing calculators, when they're allowed in all manner of other countries?? I would assume Universities don't really care about using one or not, because seriously, we live in a society where people don't NEED to remember all of this stuff, that's why we designed computers. If we can understand the concept, then that should be enough... Exams have not been adapted to modern standards. With all the new technology we have, half of the questions asked in exams become completely irrelevant. It should not be about remembering things, more understanding them.

Thoughts?
Well they ask Q's about sketching the graphs of given functions, so they probably wouldn't want students having graphing calculators in the exam if there's Q's like that.

astroman

HSC
Most graphics calculators can do more than just graphs, you can type notes onto them, store formulas and such stuff. Also, some university subjects ban graphing calculators as well.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Guys,

Thoughts?
it would present an unreasonable advantage over your peers as well. the reason there is a formula sheet is for that reason, to reduce remembering and more of understanding.

LC14199

HSC
Well they ask Q's about sketching the graphs of given functions, so they probably wouldn't want students having graphing calculators in the exam if there's Q's like that.
So? Just means the calculator spits out the graph. It's what someone would do in a real life situation, in a job. I cannot think of a circumstance where if a computer is able to do something, that a person would want to do it. It's wasting time. Anything that computers are able to do, can be done far, far more efficiently automatically, rather than manually.

it would present an unreasonable advantage over your peers as well. the reason there is a formula sheet is for that reason, to reduce remembering and more of understanding.
How would it give an unreasonable advantage if everyone had one?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
If the calculator gives you the graph, then those graphing questions wouldn't be testing anything. It's like allowing primary school students to use a calculator on an arithmetic test.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
How would it give an unreasonable advantage if everyone had one?
that would be hardly likely. also the exam is not testing your ability to use a calculator; it is testing whether you actually understand what is the process behind the calculation.

as to demonstrate you understand the concept, they get you to produce graphs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)