Need clarification with Inverse functions (1 Viewer)

coyazayo

HSC
Hey guys I have year 10 yearlies soon and one of the topic is inverse function. However I am confused in regards to restricting a domain such that inverse f(x) exists. For example when y=x^3-3x is restricted and must include zero, the answer states the domain as -1<x<1 (which excludes the stationary points). However, an inverse sine function has a domain of -1≤x≤1, where the stationary point IS included. So how do I determine the domain?? :( Do I include or exclude the stationary points?

Last edited:

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
Don't include local maxima and minima because those make a function not one-to-one (therefore cannot have an inverse), or intuitively, does not satisfy the horizontal line test (draw horizontal line and at most one point is intercepted).

Inverse sine does have a stationary point but it's a horizontal point of inflection (I think) therefore passes the horizontal line test.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Hey guys I have year 10 yearlies soon and one of the topic is inverse function. However I am confused in regards to restricting a domain such that inverse f(x) exists. For example when y=x^3-3x is restricted and must include zero, the answer states the domain as -1<x<1 (which excludes the stationary points). However, an inverse sine function has a domain of -1≤x≤1, where the stationary point IS included. So how do I determine the domain?? :( Do I include or exclude the stationary points?
Are you saying that you've done calculus in year 10??

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Lol yeah I'm from the top ruse class and I guess they learn in advance to other students :p. Btw It's not yearlies rather a topic test that could be in the yearlies but highly doubting it since no other class has done it lol
I don't think you learn inverse functions in year 10 it's part of 3U HSC though

coyazayo

HSC
Lol I don't even understand what the teacher is saying ;p maybe I should talk to her about how its way past our syllabus huh?

braintic

HSC
N/A
Stage 5.3 syllabus:

Determine the inverse functions for a variety of functions and recognise their graphs as reflections of the graphs of the functions in the line y=x

Describe conditions for a function to have an inverse function

Recognise and describe the restrictions that need to be placed on quadratic functions so that they have an inverse function

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)