How do I stop rote learning Maths? (1 Viewer)

Jazza99

HSC
Hi guys I am doing 2 Unit and I noticed I have a problem in myself. I have a tendency of copying the technique of each example or previous question I have done, suddenly come to a mix bag or completely different question and I am unable to do it.

It worked for me well in Yr 10 and lower years, but now I am in Yr 12 and I am still applying the same old methodology in doing these questions. I used to think if I keep on repeating the same questions the technique and everything else will get stuck in my head. This hasn't at all been working for me and I am blatantly confused.

For example in terms of Locus, I get confused and a lot of times have to guess what the question is asking me. Its sort of topic which is multifacted and incorporates so many different formulas and methods. I may definitely have an issue with problem solving.

This is not the case for topics like Calculus and Trignometry which I find easier as a lot of things in them are very straightforward to do and understand.

What do you suggest me to do and how to work on these weaknesses of mine? I am in a desperate situation and my exam is in the last week of term.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Focus on understanding the content and all parts of it so that it'll be easier to apply. Like for locus, you gotta know what a locus is firstly and then understand the type of loci such as circles and parabolas or lines, which are the main ones in 2 unit. E.g. they gave you a question that was something equidistant from one point and had a distance of 2, then you know it's a circle with radius 2, etc.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Not a maths expert by any means, but exploring the proofs could help you understand why you solve certain questions in certain ways. E.g. looking at the proofs for why x^0= 1 would help you better understand indices.

Olevelswerebetter

HSC
Try going over proofs then trying to prove things yourself. It's fun and it just makes maths so much 'clearer' imho

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)