Integration Concern, the total area of x^3 (1 Viewer)

cloud edwards

HSC
So i'm stuck with this idea in my head and asked a couple of mates what the area is of the x^3 between x+-1 and x=1.

One of me friends said the area is 0units^2 from following: [x^-4/4] between x=-1 and 1. = 1-1=0.

Another said it was 2 units^2 as he did: [x^-4/4] between x=-1 and 1 using absolute values, so the total was 1+1=2.

I understand how both of me friends came to their conclusion, but i'm still not sure particularly with the thought of the cubic graph having an area of 0 seems weird. So which one is right? By using the absolute value and getting 2units^2 the 0 units.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
So i'm stuck with this idea in my head and asked a couple of mates what the area is of the x^3 between x+-1 and x=1.

One of me friends said the area is 0units^2 from following: [x^-4/4] between x=-1 and 1. = 1-1=0.

Another said it was 2 units^2 as he did: [x^-4/4] between x=-1 and 1 using absolute values, so the total was 1+1=2.

I understand how both of me friends came to their conclusion, but i'm still not sure particularly with the thought of the cubic graph having an area of 0 seems weird. So which one is right? By using the absolute value and getting 2units^2 the 0 units.
If you want the actual physical area, it's the one using absolute values.

The thing that is 0 is the signed area, or net area.

If we just say "area" of a function on an interval without saying "signed area" or "net area", we would probably be referring to the physical area, which is always positive for a continuous nonzero function.

Last edited:

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Following on from what Integrand said, your first friend (0 units) just evaluated the integral, your second friend (2 units) found the area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)