Should I consider Maths Ext 2? (1 Viewer)

Itz_Gabi

HSC
I am currently completing an accelerated course for 2U Maths and have been going well, with around 90/100. My year 11 Maths Ext 1 marks are around 43/50 (hopefully it can be maintained for year 12)

My other subjects probably need fair improvements, but my teacher at one point encouraged me to do 4U... should I consider 4U Maths or stick with working on my other subjects?

Thank you!

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Consider it, might be good to give it a try as your maths marks are good and if it's not for you, you can always drop down back to just 3 unit and 2 unit maths

ShootingDuck

HSC
Definitely would recommend giving it a shot if you really enjoy maths. Though I do have to warn you it is a huge step up from 3u and it CAN be a huge time sink that could have been spent on other subjects.

Last edited:

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
Do it for sure, if you accelerated your 2U your next best step is to consider 4U. The way that 4U scales it's basically you getting an assumed 100% for 2U anyway and honestly worse comes to worse you can just drop down later.

I taught a student who was in a similar spot to you and I'd say for a fact the challenge was worth it for him and I think it overall made him strive more academically across the board.

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
In layman's terms, it just simply isn't counted to your ATAR when doing 4U.
Pretty much this,

I was just told it as an analogy from my 4U tutor haha, gave me inspiration to ace it. I think his message was all about 4U having such a great scaling on your ATAR.

Asylum99

HSC
Do 4u maths, it will be worth it in the end, besides you get to lose a subject in some way :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)