Ext 1 and Ext 2 Math tips (1 Viewer)

trick10

HSC
Hi,
I am an accelerated student currently in year 10 and I have decided to enroll in the 3u and 4u maths course. What advice do you guys have that may help me in achieving a band 6 for both courses. Many past students in my school have said that our 3u and 4u teachers aren't great and would normally avoid doing any tough quesitons so it may be difficult for me to rely on them.

Thanks

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe get a tutor since ur teachers are shitty, if you can't afford one that's fine you can still get a band 6.

Start off with a textbook such as Cambridge (maths in focus is pretty basic), use that to learn the content and proofs.

After you have done some questions from those exercises (don't do the whole thing), just use sites such as THSConline to do past papers to access those difficult questions. At the start obviously you can't do all the questions, but just scroll through and see if you have done that topic and skip the ones u haven't and come back to them when you are up to them.

After all your topics are done prior to your trials and HSC, do full past papers under timed conditions to improve speed and thinking under pressure which are important exam techniques.

It might also be helpful to form like some type of study group where you share good questions and ask other friends how to do questions you can't figure the answer out to

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
If you're doing the HSC course this year for 3U and 4U my only word of advice is to make the most of this upcoming holiday. Get a group of friends or as the above post said maybe even a tutor and keep going through content. That way you have your own safety net in terms of risk when it comes to worrying about whether you can do the topic easily or not.

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
If you're doing the HSC course this year for 3U and 4U my only word of advice is to make the most of this upcoming holiday. Get a group of friends or as the above post said maybe even a tutor and keep going through content. That way you have your own safety net in terms of risk when it comes to worrying about whether you can do the topic easily or not.
Yep definitely would agree to learn ahead because 4u needs a lot of practice

darkk_blu

HSC
If you haven't already been doing so, past papers are pretty much the only thing you can do to improve after doing textbook work and skimming over concepts and formulas. Even if you really do have teachers who don't teach well, most of math relies on you alone to work through a textbook and asking your teacher occasionally to help you solve a problem or two, if you are going through past papers, even during class when he gives you work, wait until their done talking for a bit and you could ask them to help solve a problem, any math teacher should be more than happy to help someone with a question especially before a test and even more so in year 12 when taking initiative to improve your own studies is encouraged.

You should also keep in mind that questions shouldn't stray too far from what the class is learning and that harder questions will take a good 10-15 minutes for your teacher to solve, even then there are questions that even the best of teacher won't be able to solve, you can rely on people online like us to help you out when in comes to that. I hope this helps. Sources: me bc i does 3U and 4U

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)