freaking out over maths course!!! (1 Viewer)

meh-

HSC
i know this is probably all you hear on this, but i am in the 1st term of year 12 (or term 4 of yr 11, whichever one) and am EXTREMELY undecided about whether to drop to general maths. part of me is probably being held back by the stigma with this course, but no maths isn't an option for me. I never struggled with maths in the junior years per-say, but year 10 maths isn't hard at all so that's inaccurate.
so my issue is:

1. does general actually scale THAT badly?
2. if i chose general maths, (firstly i don't have any clear pathway but i do want to go to uni), how does a bridging course work and will i have adequate time to catch up, so can i study maths if necessary without much burden of other 'uni subjects' (no clue how uni works :)) and is is exactly the HSC course or does it get harder/more specific for your course??
3. worst case, i stay but how do i deal with a shitty teacher (i have a tutor already)

thanksss

Frostguard

HSC
i know this is probably all you hear on this, but i am in the 1st term of year 12 (or term 4 of yr 11, whichever one) and am EXTREMELY undecided about whether to drop to general maths. part of me is probably being held back by the stigma with this course, but no maths isn't an option for me. I never struggled with maths in the junior years per-say, but year 10 maths isn't hard at all so that's inaccurate.
so my issue is:

2. if i chose general maths, (firstly i don't have any clear pathway but i do want to go to uni), how does a bridging course work and will i have adequate time to catch up, so can i study maths if necessary without much burden of other 'uni subjects' (no clue how uni works :)) and is is exactly the HSC course or does it get harder/more specific for your course??
3. worst case, i stay but how do i deal with a shitty teacher (i have a tutor already)

thanksss

Yo what up genny maths here
1) Genny maths does scale terribly but remember scaling doesn't mean jack unless you do well, get a 90 in genny maths and you won't get scaled, similarly try and come first internally to not get affected, but then again it's genny maths so don't expect your cohort to be amazing at the subject since it's mainly original genny maths kids and 2/3 unit kids who dropped down

2) again, this depends on what you want to do, if you're looking at anything scientific/business/acturial related and stuff along the lines of that, genny maths ain't gonna be helpful. In case you didn't know, University of Sydney from 2019 onwards, which is my year, no longer accepts genny maths for most of their courses, eg business, commerce, science, and that sorta stuff. I'm not sure how bridging courses work either but I'm sure once you get to uni, things will become clearer and these classes probs occur before actual uni degrees start so you'll have time to catch up, provided you put effort, money and time into it.

3) personally if mathematics is not your strong point and you don't understand the concepts in class as well as your teacher is bad, then they're most definitely not going to be able to help you because their teaching methods is something you can't connect with. A tutor may help but in the end you might be wasting money when you can just drop to general and get above average or decent marks than say 2 Unit Maths.

As for stigma, it's ok for you to have this perception of genny maths, but the misconception is that it is filled with dumb kids isn't true, I mean I hate 2 Unit kids who look down upon genny maths kids while at the same time not passing their 2 Unit tests, I mean which is better a 40% in 2 unit or a 70% in general maths? Ultimately it's up to you to drop and if you feel you do better in genny maths, then by all means drop 2 unit while you can so you can perform better in genny maths :)

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
get a 90 in genny maths and you won't get scaled
if you meant that literally, that's not quite true.

If you look at the UAC scaling report for 2016 (table A3), Genny Maths always gets scaled (down), so the kid who gets 100 in Genny isn't put on the same level as the kid who gets 100 in 4U. The table suggests that a maximum HSC mark of 50.0 in Genny Maths is scaled down to ~46.

to be fair, every other subject in that table is shown to be scaled down as well (with one exception). it's just that Genny Maths is scaled down a bit more than most other subjects. But if OP is genuinely struggling with 2U they should definitely consider dropping to Genny.

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
scaling means nothing unless u get a good mark. I.e. if u end up with a high band five to six in general much better than a band 4 in 2 unit.

2. if i chose general maths, (firstly i don't have any clear pathway but i do want to go to uni), how does a bridging course work and will i have adequate time to catch up, so can i study maths if necessary without much burden of other 'uni subjects' (no clue how uni works ) and is is exactly the HSC course or does it get harder/more specific for your course??

not too sure about this exactly but I would assume the bridging course practically teaches the same stuff, and yeah if u have to do maths again as another subject in uni it will probably get harder.

Try form a study group with friends. Post hard qs u come across or ones u are struggling with. Through that u are exposed to a greater variety of questions and end up improving the averages in the cohort

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)