Whether to do 3U at lower ranked school or 2U at much better ranked school (1 Viewer)

Oliver Guul

HSC
As the title states, should I stay at my current school ranked around 200 or leave to transfer to another school ranked top 40s?
I will be able to do 3U of maths in year 11 and 4U in 12 in my current school or should I transfer and only do 2U in years 11 and 12?
I honestly could've gotten do to 3U in the higher ranked school but I didn't try hard enough.

Also, I kind of know this will affect my ATAR quite a bit but I honestly don't know whether to stay or leave.

Thanks for anyone who responds with their thoughts.

HSC
N/A
What're your other subjects? What do you want to do at uni?

Might be better to go to a higher ranked school and do only 2U but if you plan to do anything math realated at uni like engineering, 3U and 4U would be better to take and stay at a lower ranked school, however going to a higher ranked school would most likely help you in your other subjects and overall atar.

Oliver Guul

HSC
I honestly don't really know what I'll be doing in the Uni let alone the future.
Anyways, my subjects are (higher ranked school) Advanced English, 2U Mathemetics, Physics, Business Studies, Legal Studies and Engineering Studies.
(lower ranked school) advanced english, 3U maths, physics, business studies, engineering studies and legal studies.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
As the title states, should I stay at my current school ranked around 200 or leave to transfer to another school ranked top 40s?
I will be able to do 3U of maths in year 11 and 4U in 12 in my current school or should I transfer and only do 2U in years 11 and 12?
I honestly could've gotten do to 3U in the higher ranked school but I didn't try hard enough.

Also, I kind of know this will affect my ATAR quite a bit but I honestly don't know whether to stay or leave.

Thanks for anyone who responds with their thoughts.
School rank doesn't matter. Just think "Do I wanna do 2u or 3u maths?" and decide based on that.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
what if they don't like 3U and end dropping it and regret not going to a higher ranked school
Then his atar won't even change because not like a higher ranked school gives you bonus atar points

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
My bad I thought going to a higher ranked school would be more beneficial for one's atar because the higher ranked school would have a stronger cohort and help bring up his marks. However if he ranked 1st in his subjects in the lower ranked school he wouldn't be dragged down. Also if he went to a higher ranked school wouldn't his marks improve as there would be greater competition and slightly better teachers (not always the case)?
Better teachers are not always the case and can even be the opposite. I feel like my bio teacher and maths teachers were really good despite being a ranked 50 school.

Also yeah the stronger cohort would bring up the marks but that's only if your rank is high I guess. In the end you'll probably get the same marks at either school so just go wherever.

An advantage is more competition so you would try harder.

sida1049

HSC
My bad I thought going to a higher ranked school would be more beneficial for one's atar because the higher ranked school would have a stronger cohort and help bring up his marks. However if he ranked 1st in his subjects in the lower ranked school he wouldn't be dragged down. Also if he went to a higher ranked school wouldn't his marks improve as there would be greater competition and slightly better teachers (not always the case)?
You also forgot to take into account of the scaling from 3U (and 4U). It's entirely possible OP's ATAR will be higher staying at his current school due to scaling.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
You also forgot to take into account of the scaling from 3U (and 4U). It's entirely possible OP's ATAR will be higher staying at his current school due to scaling.
Yeah 3u scales extremely high compared to 2U and is only a bit harder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)