Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By pikachu975
  • 1 Post By sida1049
  • 1 Post By pikachu975
  • 1 Post By sida1049

Thread: Whether to do 3U at lower ranked school or 2U at much better ranked school

HSC

Question Whether to do 3U at lower ranked school or 2U at much better ranked school

As the title states, should I stay at my current school ranked around 200 or leave to transfer to another school ranked top 40s?
    I will be able to do 3U of maths in year 11 and 4U in 12 in my current school or should I transfer and only do 2U in years 11 and 12?
    I honestly could've gotten do to 3U in the higher ranked school but I didn't try hard enough.

Also, I kind of know this will affect my ATAR quite a bit but I honestly don't know whether to stay or leave.

Thanks for anyone who responds with their thoughts.

HSC
    N/A

Re: Whether to do 3U at lower ranked school or 2U at much better ranked school

What're your other subjects? What do you want to do at uni?

Might be better to go to a higher ranked school and do only 2U but if you plan to do anything math realated at uni like engineering, 3U and 4U would be better to take and stay at a lower ranked school, however going to a higher ranked school would most likely help you in your other subjects and overall atar.

HSC

I honestly don't really know what I'll be doing in the Uni let alone the future.
    Anyways, my subjects are (higher ranked school) Advanced English, 2U Mathemetics, Physics, Business Studies, Legal Studies and Engineering Studies.
    (lower ranked school) advanced english, 3U maths, physics, business studies, engineering studies and legal studies.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Guul View Post
    As the title states, should I stay at my current school ranked around 200 or leave to transfer to another school ranked top 40s?
    I will be able to do 3U of maths in year 11 and 4U in 12 in my current school or should I transfer and only do 2U in years 11 and 12?
    I honestly could've gotten do to 3U in the higher ranked school but I didn't try hard enough.

Also, I kind of know this will affect my ATAR quite a bit but I honestly don't know whether to stay or leave.

Thanks for anyone who responds with their thoughts.
    School rank doesn't matter. Just think "Do I wanna do 2u or 3u maths?" and decide based on that.
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv (91) // Bio (96) // Phys (95) // 3U Maths (99) // 4U Maths (97) //
    ATAR: 99.75

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by 489 View Post
    what if they don't like 3U and end dropping it and regret not going to a higher ranked school
    Then his atar won't even change because not like a higher ranked school gives you bonus atar points

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 HSC: // English Adv (91) // Bio (96) // Phys (95) // 3U Maths (99) // 4U Maths (97) //

HSC

My bad I thought going to a higher ranked school would be more beneficial for one's atar because the higher ranked school would have a stronger cohort and help bring up his marks. However if he ranked 1st in his subjects in the lower ranked school he wouldn't be dragged down. Also if he went to a higher ranked school wouldn't his marks improve as there would be greater competition and slightly better teachers (not always the case)?
    Better teachers are not always the case and can even be the opposite. I feel like my bio teacher and maths teachers were really good despite being a ranked 50 school.

Also yeah the stronger cohort would bring up the marks but that's only if your rank is high I guess. In the end you'll probably get the same marks at either school so just go wherever.

An advantage is more competition so you would try harder.

HSC

My bad I thought going to a higher ranked school would be more beneficial for one's atar because the higher ranked school would have a stronger cohort and help bring up his marks. However if he ranked 1st in his subjects in the lower ranked school he wouldn't be dragged down. Also if he went to a higher ranked school wouldn't his marks improve as there would be greater competition and slightly better teachers (not always the case)?
    You also forgot to take into account of the scaling from 3U (and 4U). It's entirely possible OP's ATAR will be higher staying at his current school due to scaling.
    pikachu975 likes this.

Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts III, USYD

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by sida1049 View Post
    You also forgot to take into account of the scaling from 3U (and 4U). It's entirely possible OP's ATAR will be higher staying at his current school due to scaling.
    Yeah 3u scales extremely high compared to 2U and is only a bit harder
    sida1049 likes this.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    Yeah 3u scales extremely high compared to 2U and is only a bit harder
    Yeah, and on top of that, doing 3U helps with a lot of disciplines in uni.
    pikachu975 likes this.

Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts III, USYD

HSC

So I guess staying is the overall better choice?

Thread Information