Dr Du vs Talent100 2018 (1 Viewer)

lugipugi2020

HSC
N/A
Hi! I am currently heading into Year 9 in a top selective school and I was wondering on starting maths tuition as, as expected most of my friends will be taking maths tutoring starting around year 9 and 10, and I am also interested. I have heard much about these 2 tutoring centres and I am quite interested in entering one of them (for maths). Pretty sure both have entrance exams too.

My question is what is the entrance exam for maths like i.e how are the questions and topics like and perhaps any example questions if anyone can remember. FYI I'm planning on doing 3U or 4U maths so I would really like to be in the higher classes.

Thank you so much!!

Killua101

HSC
ur better of at dr du. I went to talent for 3u and 4u and that the david sadler guy, although hes amazinggg, i feel like the cohort is just rich snobs. On the other hand, at dr du u'll see hardworking students who'll lift ur game. I also believe talent is more expensive (i think...) At talent, they had entrance exams only for the yr 11 classes so not sure tbh.
Although, it'll probs just be on basic arithemetic and algebra.

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
On the other hand, at dr du u'll see hardworking students who'll lift ur game. I also believe talent is more expensive (i think...)
Dr Du is more expensive :(

I joined Dr Du in year 9/10, their entrance exam was pretty much just consumer arithmetic (gross) and probability (disgusting) and even though I failed tragically (I barely passed ) I still somehow managed to get into one of the A classes. I reckon if you're decent at maths though, you'd easily pass.

They have like, 5-10 different entrance exams that they shuffle every now and then so just skim quickly through the syllabus - even if you don't do well, you can come first during the term and be promoted to higher classes!1!!! Keep in mind though, higher class=/=quality bc ironically, I didn't like the tutor as much when I got promoted because they didn't go into depth like the other one - it was almost as if they expected everyone to know everything already. I did quit when y11 hit though, bc of travel time + I didn't like how we spent half the lesson copying down stuff from the board (they don't provide us with notes, we have to write them while we are taught).

hrithikroshan

HSC
in all honesty, dr du was shi*

I was in an A class and though we got tutored by a high achiever, she didn't explain concepts properly at all. she just wrote copy + paste from some dr du workbook she was reading from. she literally copied it and wrote it - she did not at all explain the logic, thought process or anything behind it. I learnt nothing in those 3 hr classes. so once we were doing revision, I asked what a certain formula was bc I missed out on it. she couldn't explain what it was at all, she didn't have that workbook, she was just quiet. It was so weird, not even a simple explanation like "its a way to simplify and solve it".

u have to stay for at least 3 weeks before u cancel, so I lost 9 hrs of my life learning nothing. it was also extremely expensive and I don't think I got even 10% of my money's worth.
although they were selective kids, the people around me just complained literally every 5 min (I was in an A class so I expected hard workers but instead got very whiny rich ppl who didnt appreciate being there)

value = crap
quality = crap
education = crap
environment = crap

I wouldn't recommend dr du to anyone.

Last edited:

BienvenueAMusA

HSC
I know someone who goes to talent100 and they said that you have to pay for the whole year before you learn...so if you want to quit during half the year you've basically wasted your money...talent100 is pretty dodgy to be honest, matrix would be a better option. talent100 is crap at maths but the english is average.
dr du is very expensive however depending on your teacher you might do well. if you like your teacher's method of teaching then ofc you'll be fine but if you hate the way they teach then son you're pretty much screwed. most of the smart kids who ace maths go there but the question is whether it's dr du that's making the kids smart or if they're just naturally talented...

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
in all honesty, dr du was shi*

I was in an A class and though we got tutored by a high achiever, she didn't explain concepts properly at all. she just wrote copy + paste from some dr du workbook she was reading from. she literally copied it and wrote it - she did not at all explain the logic, thought process or anything behind it. I learnt nothing in those 3 hr classes. so once we were doing revision, I asked what a certain formula was bc I missed out on it. she couldn't explain what it was at all, she didn't have that workbook, she was just quiet. It was so weird, not even a simple explanation like "its a way to simplify and solve it".

I feel like we had the same tutor LMAO bc same

BienvenueAMusA said:
matrix would be a better option.
dr du is very expensive however depending on your teacher you might do well.
I agree, hands down matrix is a pretty decent choice for maths IMO, and I've been to pre uni, du, matrix etc from y7-12.

As for dr du, yeah it's like $1600 per term for 4U in year 12 ahhhhhh

***Keep in mind that your success relies upon yourself and your own efforts, rather than your tutor (if you get one)

Last edited:

lugipugi2020

HSC
N/A
I know someone who goes to talent100 and they said that you have to pay for the whole year before you learn...so if you want to quit during half the year you've basically wasted your money...talent100 is pretty dodgy to be honest, matrix would be a better option. talent100 is crap at maths but the english is average.
dr du is very expensive however depending on your teacher you might do well. if you like your teacher's method of teaching then ofc you'll be fine but if you hate the way they teach then son you're pretty much screwed. most of the smart kids who ace maths go there but the question is whether it's dr du that's making the kids smart or if they're just naturally talented...
Was scrolling through the matrix website but their courses seem a bit like revision than me learning ahead of the year's work. https://www.matrix.edu.au/year-9-maths-tutoring/ I checked this website and if you see the term work (it says it's only 1 term ahead) I've already studied and completed it in year 7 and 8. Would there be some other tutoring centre that would do something more challenging

Robbie M

HSC
Big corp tutoring companies aren't the only answer, i know there are a lot of ex year 12 students looking to tutor and i feel like the 1 on 1 and personalized nature of the sessions might be more beneficial, this combined with the fact that rates are not too high and you can pick and choose a tutor who matches your learning style makes them an attractive offer.

Killua101

HSC
I would also recommend ace tutoring. its becoming one of the good tutoring centres with godly tutors (99.5 min + state ranks). I mean ik u shouldnt rely on tutors, but if u have high achieving tutoring its really really helpful.
i had a godly tutor for phy back in 2016 (got 99.95, top of his uni med class...) and to this day i look up to him for any career advice and another things in general. (keep in mind i got 98+ for atar as well and he's still a class apart)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I would also recommend ace tutoring. its becoming one of the good tutoring centres with godly tutors (99.5 min + state ranks). I mean ik u shouldnt rely on tutors, but if u have high achieving tutoring its really really helpful.
i had a godly tutor for phy back in 2016 (got 99.95, top of his uni med class...) and to this day i look up to him for any career advice and another things in general. (keep in mind i got 98+ for atar as well and he's still a class apart)
ATAR doesn't mean good tutor

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
Was scrolling through the matrix website but their courses seem a bit like revision than me learning ahead of the year's work. https://www.matrix.edu.au/year-9-maths-tutoring/ I checked this website and if you see the term work (it says it's only 1 term ahead) I've already studied and completed it in year 7 and 8. Would there be some other tutoring centre that would do something more challenging

If you've learnt ahead like that, then I recommend either Dr Du or a private maths tutor (a good one would be Drongoski on these forums).

Don't bite off more than you can chew though, because if you learn ahead that far (I vaguely remember learning year 11 and 12 content in year 9/10 at Pre Uni) you tend to focus on tutoring rather than revision, or what you're being tested on at school.

lugipugi2020

HSC
N/A
If you've learnt ahead like that, then I recommend either Dr Du or a private maths tutor (a good one would be Drongoski on these forums).

Don't bite off more than you can chew though, because if you learn ahead that far (I vaguely remember learning year 11 and 12 content in year 9/10 at Pre Uni) you tend to focus on tutoring rather than revision, or what you're being tested on at school.
No our school's curriculum works ahead of the NSW curriculum as it's a selective school. I have already studied most of what will be assessed this year these holidays and continually revise so I would like tutoring for something ahead in the years, so when they teach it, I will already have an idea of what to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)