Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

HSC

Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon View Post
    There isn't truly a correlation between logic and maths, and based off your argument earlier on, I don't really think being able to do/understand calculus has anything to do with every-day logic.

Personally, I see where you're going but I think English/humanity-based subjects also require students to use logic to a certain degree - you can't produce cohesive essays or even paragraphs if you don't understand the texts/laws/information provided.

I'm not trying to twist your words but 'humans lack logical skills, people should be better at maths,' those are strong words and although you do have a point about our country being weak at maths, I think the approach you're taking to express this problem is just a bit ... wrong.
    I mean... Creative writing is pretty BS tho. I am fine with humanities, but not English. I'd be more than happy to take Mod. His. or Eco. if I could drop English.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Leon_V3 View Post
    I mean... Creative writing is pretty BS tho. I am fine with humanities, but not English. I'd be more than happy to take Mod. His. or Eco. if I could drop English.
    Creative writing is bs...? What... you obviously haven't seen modules yet.
    2017:
    Chemistry (89) - Physics (91) - English (Standard) (87) - Maths Ext 1 (99) - Maths Ext 2 (98)
    ATAR - 98.70

2018:
    B Actuarial Studies/B Commerce @ UNSW

HSC

Math -> Logic
    Logic -> Legitimate Humanity
    Also, the abstract bis of English seems to be useless... I also want an explanation for why we do this.
    Although I agree that mathematics is primarily logic and that logic is very important, I also think that your ability to communicate and understand others still remain vitally important. You could be one of the most intelligent engineers or doctors in the world but if you can't understand what your client or patient is trying to say then you can't really help them out (this is especially true in the medical field where doctors have to understand emotionally what a patient is going through in order to treat them with care). I admit that my communication skills aren't great but I still think it's an important skill to develop nonetheless.

Thereby, although I didn't enjoy English that much in Year 12 either, I do see relevance in studying English after finishing it in the HSC as it kind of sometimes asks you to ascertain the moods/atmosphere of a particular text just through words on a page and it also assesses your ability to communicate effectively and concisely. Also (a bit off topic though), combined with the fact that the UMAT has an entire section dedicated to understanding people, I still think that while logic is obviously very important, your understanding and ability to interpret others are almost if not equally important to logical knowledge.

And also to stay on topic regarding the mathematical ability within Australia, I don't really have a particular stance on it to be honest.

if I could drop English.
    Lol I had the same thought as well back in Years 11 and 12 but just keep giving stuff to your teachers to mark and you can probably make it a bit more enjoyable by trying to visualise its usefulness (maybe like the stuff I said above idk haha).

Good luck!
    Last edited by captainhelium; 5 Feb 2018 at 1:34 AM.
    30june2016 likes this.
    2017 HSC: Eng (Adv.) · 3U Math · 4U Math · Chem · Phys · Bio

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by fluffchuck View Post
    Creative writing is bs...? What... you obviously haven't seen modules yet.
    What are you talking about; the modules were the best part

Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts III, USYD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information