Learning to Math with LaTeX (1 Viewer)

darkk_blu

HSC
I'm learning to use LaTeX through MiKTeX and TeXMaker and can type most of the things I need but I want to be able to type on here using LaTeX for math stuff, it makes things easier to see and recommended by the forum. The text appears fine on the pdf preview but how can I copy and paste it over to here, or do I need to use snipping tool and insert/paste it as an image. Thanks.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I'm learning to use LaTeX through MiKTeX and TeXMaker and can type most of the things I need but I want to be able to type on here using LaTeX for math stuff, it makes things easier to see and recommended by the forum. The text appears fine on the pdf preview but how can I copy and paste it over to here, or do I need to use snipping tool and insert/paste it as an image. Thanks.
Using LaTeX here (on BOS) is a bit different to using it on MiKTeX/TeXMaker etc. The biggest difference is that to use LaTeX here, you need to enclose the code within "TeX tags". These are like this: [tex.] <insert code here> [/tex.], except exclude those red full stops. (I only put the red full stops in because otherwise the tags don't display.)

Example: To produce , the required code on BOS is:

Code:
[tex[COLOR="#FF0000"].[/COLOR]] y = x^2 [/tex[COLOR="#FF0000"].[/COLOR]]
(again, exclude the red full stops).

If you want to write text in LaTeX here, you can use dollar signs ($) to help with that, but maybe just get used to typing mathematical expressions on BOS LaTeX first.

darkk_blu

HSC
Using LaTeX here (on BOS) is a bit different to using it on MiKTeX/TeXMaker etc. The biggest difference is that to use LaTeX here, you need to enclose the code within "TeX tags". These are like this: [tex.] <insert code here> [/tex.], except exclude those red full stops. (I only put the red full stops in because otherwise the tags don't display.)

Example: To produce , the required code on BOS is:

Code:
[tex[COLOR="#FF0000"].[/COLOR]] y = x^2 [/tex[COLOR="#FF0000"].[/COLOR]]
(again, exclude the red full stops).

If you want to write text in LaTeX here, you can use dollar signs ($) to help with that, but maybe just get used to typing mathematical expressions on BOS LaTeX first.
How can I do dy/dx or integral signs for BOS LaTeX? Is it ? How do i make it look "normal"?

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
How can I do dy/dx or integral signs for BOS LaTeX? Is it .

i.e. you write "\frac{a}{b}".

So to get dy/dx, the code is \frac{dy}{dx}.

For an integral sign:

Code:
[tex[COLOR="#FF0000"].[/COLOR]] [B]\int f(x) dx[/B] [/tex[COLOR="#FF0000"].[/COLOR]]
produces

(As usual, exclude the red full stops from the TeX tags.)

Also, you may find this site helpful: http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php . It lets you click buttons to obtain mathematical expressions, and then produces the LaTeX code for it for you.

Last edited:

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
Also, it might be useful to know these:

\sqrt{x} produces and \sqrt[n]{x} produces

For inequalities, you can use special commands:

\neq (not equal to)
\geq (greater than or equal to)
\leq (less than or equal to)

You can use \, to make an empty space.

x = 5, \, y = 2

You can use subscripts _ and superscripts ^ to add more information to commands, e.g.

\int^2_1

\lim_{x \to \infty}

You can use Greek symbols like this:

\theta (small)
\Theta (capital)

And finally all of the trig functions have their own commands

\sin

\sin^2

Same for other functions such as \log etc.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
\displaystyle is my cheeky trick in LATEX for making fractions and integrals a bit more bitter if in a paragraph with $ $
here it doesn't matter sometimes
For example:

versus

Last edited:

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
I think they're just for using plaintext.

area

vs.

$area$

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)