Getting by 3u Maths without tutoring (1 Viewer)

Jolteon

HSC
Hey!
Recently I quit my tutoring centre for Extension 1 Maths and switched to a private tutor to cater to my own pace. However, I feel as though I don't get nearly enough questions for homework and I only seem to do textbook work. (From Cambridge)

For people who have achieved a high E3 or low E4 or even anyone with experience doing this course at a competitive environment, do you think it I can do well in the course without tutoring. I attend a selective high school and almost everybody I know does tutoring for Maths, especially for 3u and 4u.

I get really anxious when I see them do hard questions that I can never imagine being able to solve since I only ever do textbook work.
Sorry for the long rant.
Thank you!

integral95

HSC
Hey!
Recently I quit my tutoring centre for Extension 1 Maths and switched to a private tutor to cater to my own pace. However, I feel as though I don't get nearly enough questions for homework and I only seem to do textbook work. (From Cambridge)

For people who have achieved a high E3 or low E4 or even anyone with experience doing this course at a competitive environment, do you think it I can do well in the course without tutoring. I attend a selective high school and almost everybody I know does tutoring for Maths, especially for 3u and 4u.

I get really anxious when I see them do hard questions that I can never imagine being able to solve since I only ever do textbook work.
Sorry for the long rant.
Thank you!
Can't speak for myself since I had tutoring for math back then soz.
I can however speak for some of my cohort, who didn't really have tutoring for Math but yet attained a solid E4.He was pretty consistent with his math work and was nearly always up to date, our math teacher at school also gave as exam level questions for each topics being taught, and he kept practising. Long story short, he worked hard, asked for help when he needed to and always got himself prepared.

To make it clear now, textbook questions aren't sufficient, so you'll need to either ask your math teacher for some exam type questions or use google to find some past exam papers.

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
So I went to some random school in the western suburbs (ranked in the 200s) apart from me there was really only one other person who did 3 unit math (I did 2u/3u not 3u/4u so cant really vouch for that) and had no tutor and I got 43 which is like mid E3 so yeah, I didn't really study much either for it. So yeah you don't need a tutor.
Also what textbook do you use, cause you better not be doing MiF shit, and don't worry about the textbook HSC/trial past papers are far more better in terms of having to solve questions.
Edit: I'm such a bad fucking example don't do what I did, work hard :)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hey!

Sorry for the long rant.
Thank you!
Yeah don't need tutoring at all, but make sure you tell your private tutor to give you more work or you'll quit and find someone else.

Also the problem is you only do textbook questions. Textbook questions set the FOUNDATION of what you need to know but you have to do past papers to solidify and practice.

Jolteon

HSC
So I went to some random school in the western suburbs (ranked in the 200s) apart from me there was really only one other person who did 3 unit math (I did 2u/3u not 3u/4u so cant really vouch for that) and had no tutor and I got 43 which is like mid E3 so yeah, I didn't really study much either for it. So yeah you don't need a tutor.
Also what textbook do you use, cause you better not be doing MiF shit, and don't worry about the textbook HSC/trial past papers are far more better in terms of having to solve questions.
Edit: I'm such a bad fucking example don't do what I did, work hard :)
GG my school uses MiF but I tend to just cover more questions with Cambridge since MiF doesn't help with Extension at all.
Thank you for your advice though!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)