drop or keep ext2 (1 Viewer)

pencilspanker

HSC
Hey so we just started the 4U course and I was finding it difficult to keep at to begin with but am getting better slowly on the way but it kinda sucks because all the ppl in my class are no1. Good at maths no2 have tutoring so they already know most of the content. I find 2U really batshit easy and straightforward and ext1 isn’t bad but I feel like I’m going to struggle with 4u. I’m also spending a lot of study time catching up with 4U and getting better but it means that I’m losing time for other subjects. Is it worth to keep 4U? I feel like that I could smash 2U and do well in 3U rather than me spending all the time on 4U and maybe or maybe not doing that well in it...

Tdlr; why do 4u when I can do heaps good in 2u instead?

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
I think thats something you should decide for yourself, from what you are writing it seems you feel that you are struggling with 4u and it is having a negative impact on your other subjects (I am assuming you are taking note of this by results from taking tests in the other subjects). As a result I think you should go for it and drop 4u.

HOWEVER be mindful of the fact that you ensure that you spend the time you would've spent on 4u now on the other subjects also before taking the advice of a complete stranger (who hasnt done 4u himself mind you) to heart I would also highly recommend that before you decide whether to drop or keep 4u you make a list of the pros vs cons of keeping 4u.

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
all the ppl in my class are no1.
What does that mean?

If you're not finding 3U very challenging then you should be fine in 4U. Have you had an assessment for 4U yet? Unless you have, it's still way too early to tell. You can definitely afford to give it a bit more time.

To be sure, 4U is harder than 2U and it's going to challenge you a lot more - that's expected. And this is where UAC's scaling algorithm comes in.

Say you were in the class of 2017 and you placed in the 50th percentile in 4U. That might sound pretty bad, but it is still substantially better (in terms of scaling) than someone who got 90th percentile in 2U.

So that's the incentive for not dropping to an easier course... but, using 2017 data, this scaling gap does start to shrink at the 90th percentile of 2U so if you placed well inside the top 10% you would probably not be substantially worse off.

But if you're not worried about your ATAR, and you don't see yourself using mathematics at university, you could just drop 4U right now and it wouldn't really make much of a difference.

pencilspanker

HSC
I really enjoy maths and I have pretty good study habits im just scared its gonna heavily impact my other subjects in the end and not be worth it

pencilspanker

HSC
Does scaling really matter if i can just destroy 2u and do well in 3u rather than do half decent in 4u?

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
I really enjoy maths and I have pretty good study habits im just scared its gonna heavily impact my other subjects in the end and not be worth it
Is there any evidence that it had significantly impacted your other subjects?

If you truly enjoy maths then I think you should keep 4U for a bit longer at least - remember that the first assessment tasks will usually not contribute a large amount towards the HSC.

I found the 4U content so much more interesting compared to 3U.

Does scaling really matter if i can just destroy 2u and do well in 3u rather than do half decent in 4u?
Not really - provided that you're confident that you will not make any significant mistakes in 2U trials or HSC. But if you can destroy 2U you should be able to do better than half decent in 4U though.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
4U is defs worthwhile keeping because it's actually interesting compared to 2u and 3u, scales really high, and I think it develops ur problem solving ability unlike 2u/3u where it's legit same question every year... I was in the same boat - got 97 2U and 3U was fine but in 4U I was fully struggling in graphs (easiest topic) and more topics and was contemplating dropping. My trial marks ofr 4U were around 70s raw but I wasn't happy so I did nearly 1 4u paper a day for a month before HSC (after our 3rd trial) and tried to identify my mistakes + develop new problem solving mindsets and ended up getting around 90-93 (approx) raw i.e. 97 HSC mark, which is defs higher than my 2U scaling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)