Need help understanding the new HSC Maths course (1 Viewer)

k14usmukh

HSC
Hi - Can anyone explain to me what is the difference between Maths advanced and Extension 1&2 - does one still need to do general maths - I am parent and not very good at this hence if you can explain the difference would be very grateful - many thanks in advance - this is for HSC 2020

blyatman

HSC
N/A
You don't need to do general maths if you take Maths Advanced, Extension 1, or Extension 2.

In the new syllabus, Maths Advanced is worth 2 units, and Extension 1 and 2 are each worth 1 unit. As a result, you will still need to do Maths Advanced even if you take Ext 1 or Ext 2.

integral95

HSC
I'm not sure what you mean by "New" HSC Math courses (you mean progressing to senior or a complete revamp in the content?)

Anyhow, all I can say is that you general math is basically learning applied "real life" math like finding areas and doing some basic finance stuff you might encounter in everyday life.

The difference between Math advanced and the Extensions is that Extensions build up on from Advanced in addition to some new concepts, and naturally at a much higher level. So taking Extension 1 for example would mean that you also have to take Advanced in conjunction, taking Extension 2 would mean you have to take Advanced and Extension 1 in conjunction, BUT you won't need to take general math as that is a different course in it self that doesn't get applied to the aforementioned courses.

You don't need to do general maths if you take Maths Advanced, Extension 1, or Extension 2.

In the new syllabus, Maths Advanced is worth 2 units, and Extension 1 and 2 are each worth 1 unit. As a result, you will still need to do Maths Advanced even if you take Ext 1 or Ext 2.
Not entirely true, if you take up Extension 2, then Advanced is worth nothing, and Extension 1 and 2 are worth 2 units each.

Last edited:

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Are you sure on this? In the old HSC (i.e. the syllabus the current y12s are following), the Ext 1 and 2 were worth 2 units each and Math Adv was worth nothing. But I've been informed that in the new HSC (i.e. the stage 6 syllabus that the current y11s are on), Ext 2 students need to sit the 2u 3u and 4u exams. The information from the link below also seems to support this, and it also states that Ext 1 and 2 are 1 unit each.

http://educationstandards.nsw.edu.a...12/stage-6-learning-areas/stage-6-mathematics

"The Mathematics Extension 2 Year 12 course has been developed on the assumption that students have studied the content and achieved the outcomes of the Mathematics Advanced Year 11 course and the Mathematics Extension 1 Year 11 course. The Mathematics Extension 2 Year 12 course has also been constructed on the assumption that students are concurrently studying the Mathematics Advanced course and the Mathematics Extension 1 Year 12 course."

"The Mathematics Extension 2 Year 12 course includes the Mathematics Extension 1 Year 12 course and the Mathematics Advanced Year 12 course."

I haven't looked too much into it and I've mainly just heard things from other people, so I could be wrong, but my understanding is that 2u will now count even if you do Ext 2, and this was one of the supposed key changes to the structure of the Math units. Maybe a current student/teacher can chime in on this.

Last edited:

HeroWise

HSC
If extension 2 course is taken, mathematics advanced is void. Some dont even do the HSC for it. since 4u counts 3u and itself

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)