UTS B Sci or UNSW B MedSci??? (1 Viewer)

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
I have just discovered that UTS has a Medical Science course, I didn't see it before and only had B Sci @UTS as a pref from UTS.

My UAI is 79.15, and am in that Inputs scheme(EAS Scheme) so that I now am eligible for a course up to 10 points above my course cutoff. The 2006 cutoff for MedSci @UTS is 85.20, so its only 5.05 points above.

I want to do medical science at UNSW, but if I didn't make it into MedSci@UNSW what would be better;
Doing B Sci @UNSW
Or Doing BMedSci@UTS

At UNSW the course major studies are: Anatomy,biochemistry,genetics,immunology,microbiology,molecular biology, pathology, pharmacology, physiology.

At UTS the course majors are:
anatomy,behavioural sciences, biochemistry, medical devices and diagnostics, medical laboratory science, medical statistics, microbiology,neurosciences,pharmacology,physiology.

The major I really want to do is microbiology which is common at both uni's.

If I did Medsci at UTS and transferred after one year to UNSW MedSci, would I have to catch up on any courses like I would if I did BSci@UNSW and transferred to BMedSci@UNSW?

Is this MedSci course at uts a bit wierd like that other macquarie one I was discussing in another post???

Whats the EAS scheme for UNSW(e.g.10points for UTS,4points for MAQ)??
Just wondering as my uai is 5.85points below the 2006 cut-off for BMedSci@UNSW....

Sincerely Christopher Fife.

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
DraconisV said:
If I did Medsci at UTS and transferred after one year to UNSW MedSci, would I have to catch up on any courses like I would if I did BSci@UNSW and transferred to BMedSci@UNSW?
For UTS subjects that UNSW considered to be equivalent in the subjects of its MedSc program, then you can transfer those credit to your UNSW MedSc course. If you did subjects in the UTS MedSc program are are not considered to be eqivalent to the UNSW MedSc course, then you won't get the credit for it and you would have to make up for those subjects.

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Well this is what the UTS handbook says about the subjects in the first year of medical science at UTS

Year 1
Autumn semester
33116 Statistical Design and Analysis 6cp
65101 Chemistry 1C 6cp
91101 Cells, Genetics and Evolution 6cp
91701 Medical Science 1 6cp
Spring semester
91313 Biomolecules: Structure and Function 6cp
65201 Chemistry 2C 6cp
91702 Medical Science 2 6cp
68041 Physical Aspects of Nature 6cp

How does that compare with UNSW, I haven't been able to find any info on these subject specifics for UNSW MedSci.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
You probably will get credit for the chemistry subjects, the statitics one, and the cells, genetics one.

There is no similar subject to Anatomy, evolutionary and functional biology from that list.

I'm not sure what the two "Medical Sciences" subjects are and whether they can replace "Perspective in Medical Science at UNSW".

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Please see http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2007/3991.html for the outline of the UNSW MedSc program.

First year subjects for UNSW MedSc are:

Stage 1
BABS1201 Molecues, Cells and Genes (6 UOC)
SCIF1111 Perspectives in Med. Science (6 UOC)
ANAT1521 Anatomy for Medical Science (6 UOC)

PLUS one of:
CHEM1011 Fundamentals of Chem 1A (6 UOC)
CHEM1031 Higher Chemistry 1C (6 UOC)

PLUS one of:
CHEM1021 Fundamentals of Chem 1B (6 UOC)
CHEM1041 Higher Chemistry 1D (6 UOC)

PLUS one of:
BIOS1101 Evolutionary & Functional Biol (6 UOC)
BIOS2021 Genetics (6 UOC)

PLUS Elective courses totalling 12 UOC from the Schools in the Faculty of Science

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Thanks Survivor. I'm now just going to stick to UNSW. B MedSci, If i don't get in then BSci and transfer after 1 year to MedSci@UNSW.
All sorted...................................For now....

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Please don't get too stressed about all the different choices. Transfer from BSc to B MedSc is not hard at all.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday because next year will be a lot of hard work.

I'll be involved in the Peer Mentor Program for Medical Science next year, to help out first year MedSc students. So you might even see me around.

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Ok, i'll chill out a bit and enjoy my break, ahh wheres that hot chocolate, hmm..

Peer mentoring, great. Hey Survivor I don't even know your name, except for the survivor and i'm guessing that ain't your real name. You know mine as I sometimes put it at the end of my posts.

Yep, transfer should be fine, if I dont get medsci all is good just transfer and pick up a few subjects during summer, all good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)