BSc(Advanced)/Mbbs Majoring in Neuroscience (1 Viewer)

haque

HSC
I was just wondering, if i was to major for neuroscience, on the usyd website said it's more work than any other of the major subject choices-it also said that we'd need i think 24 credit points in computer science at the dvanced level. Now as trivial as this may sound, I did not do SDD or have any experience in programming, in fact i'd be one of the most hopeles guys when it came to dealing with computers-the question is will this really stuff me up or can i cover for this simply at the lectures at uni? Thanx in advance

haque

HSC
any info and advice would be greatly appreciated

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
They teach you the basics in Computing courses. Don't worry. :)

haque

HSC
Thank you so much survivor-lol that made me feel loads better, i'm pretty nervous about what's coming up, uni's hectic from what i've heard. What's med science like in terms of hours of study required and the stuff u study?

haque

HSC
Another thing is what is the real difference between doing a science elective advanced to doing one normally-like in the advanced course do we skip more stuff that would be in the science normal course or is it more the idea that there is more info to get through in advanced and it's all compressed?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
There are around 24-25 hrs a week for med science. And for studying, if you are aiming for a HD average, you probably need to spend the equivalent amount of time studying at home (24-25hr a week), excluding time spent on doing assessments.

I am majoring in Medical micro and immuno so I learn a lot about how bacteria and viruses actually cause diseases, e.g. what genes they possess and the virulence determinants that make them harmful to human cells. The characteristics of disease outcomes are also discussed. In immunology, we look at how our immune cells respond to infections, i.e, what interleukins they secrete and the associated function, and what cell receptors are important and what genes encode them. Other interesting stuffs include the mechanisms of autoimmunity and cancer.

Some advanced courses are the same as the normal version in terms of lectures (basically learn the same thing), but with additional assessments and different questions in the assessments and final exams. There is also extra practical work in the lab component.

haque

HSC
Oh, thanks for that-so in the advanced i'd probably be looking at the same type of lectures and info but i'd have to take a greater initiative in terms of my own research etc and so it's not really a compression but rather more asessment tasks with harder q? HD average is above 90 right?(sorry i know hardly anything which is why i'm worried) And 24-25 hours a week? Whoa that's way more than HSC. Does the number of hours increase as the years go by or is it essentially constant? Do u know what textbooks etc they use for Bscadvanced, like is it just a collection of maths tutorials, bio and chem textbooks? Thanx again

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
A HD average is 85+

I think the number of hrs increase as the years go by. First year is not too bad (probably don't need 24-25 hrs a week of studying).

Each uni uses different textbooks so I can't say. Each subject has its own textbook. Some have no textbook.

haque

HSC
oh ok thanx-what would you say is the hardest part of the course is it the practical parts and assignments or the exams? And also is there like a massive final yearly sort of exam worth like 70% or is it more evenly spaced out(the exams assessments etc)?Thanx

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
The final exam is always the hardest. You have 13-14 weeks of materials to learn and times that by 4 (usually 4 different subjects). So expect to cram a lot!

Final exams are usually worth 50%.

haque

HSC
whoa it's crazy(like hsc only harder lol)-I heard that apparently it is easier to maintain higher marks in science advanced compared to Medical science-what's ur opinion on this? Why do u think this is so? Thanx

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Well, it depends what subjects you do really. You could do the same subjects in your Adv Science degree as the Medical science degree.

haque

HSC
sorry if it's a personal question but what marks did u maintain throughout the years?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I did relatively shit through my first 2 years. It wasn't until my 3rd year that I cracked the 90+ average. :(

Edit: I'm sure you're going to do very well based on your UAI. :p

rnber

HSC
hey haque, did you get accepted for Bsc(Advanced)/MBBS at usyd? have you decided to take up the offer?

haque

HSC
Yeah i got offerred and I really wanted this course-so waiting anxiously for jan 17-Did u go for it?(sorry i don't know u so if u are doing the course as well please escuse my ignorance)
To Survivor, thanx for that, (from someone who's topping their course at uni-it gives me confidence). You've helped me out a lot-i really apprciate it-thanx and i wish u all the best in the future.

rnber

HSC
yeah, i did go for it and i got offered it too! yay! i finally found someone else who is doing it kekeke. why are you waiting anxiously? its your first preference right? so you are practically in!

haque

HSC
lol until i've enrolled i'm a bit nervous-not too sure about the enrollment process, how does it work?

rnber

HSC
keke your guess is better than mine! but isn't there a particular day where everyone in our course has to go to the uni to 'enrol'? and we have to like give our details and all that stuff?

haque

HSC
When was ur interview-I wonder if i saw u?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)