BSci Offer, Yippie. Enrolement??Qs? (1 Viewer)

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
I got my second pref of BSci@UNSW, im happy. But i am confused about choosing courses for this year.

When I am adding coures when i'm enroling now, are those courses going to be for semester 1 2007, or what?

Also I have added two courses:
CHEM1011and CHEM1031 and each of them, say that they are 6UOC, do I do these over the first semester or do they take the whole year to complete. Also how many UOC do I have to take for this first year(or semester,whatever the timeframe it is that im enroling for).

So theres lots of questions and i'm stressing out a little bit as I don't know whats going here.

looking forward to your replies.
Sincerely Christopher Fife.

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
They're for first semester only, so you'll be doing both of them in S1. At UNSW you only enrol in S1 now. Full load is 24 UOC per semester.

Last edited:

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Ok so only one semester.
And also 24 UOC.
So if I have 6UOC with CHEM1011 and 6UOC with CHEM1031, then I only have 12 left.
So all i have to do is choose 2 more courses(thats assuming they total to 12UOC).

Then once I do that is my enrolment complete.

CHEM1011 Fundamentals of Chemistry 1A
CHEM1031 Higher Chemistry 1C
COMP1081 Harnessing the Power of Information Technology
COMP1091 Solving Problems with Software and Tools
COMP9081 Harnessing the Power of Information Technology
GEOS1701 Environmental Systems and Processes
HPSC1100 Cosmos and Culture
HPSC1400 Science, Technology, Society and Environment
MATH1031 Mathematics for Life Sciences
MATH1131 Mathematics 1A
MATH1141 Higher Mathematics 1A
PHYS1111 Fundamentals of Physics
PHYS1121 Physics 1A
PHYS1131 Higher Physics 1A
PSYC1001 Psychology 1A

Theres the courses to make up my 24 UOC, I need some help here, ive already got the 1st 2. So i'll need 2 more from the list. I'll give you some background to help you help me so to speak.
Ok, I lvoed hsc bio, best ever, didn't love chem as much though it was good, and i was a natural at it, didnt study as much as other courses but got higher marks. Also I did 4unit maths in the hsc aswell, I'm kinda sick of maths but if its the best choice then i'll do it anyway, i like doing it. hmm, itll prob be easier than 4 unit(will it be??).

Um, I don;t like phys much as all. whats the go with these other ones GOES, and HPSC, what the hell are they??

Last edited:

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
Yep, so long as you've chosen all your classes for those subjects. Don't worry though, it'll tell you if you haven't. You've probably got a lot of choice with those courses, so maybe try the auto-timetable function. Even if it doesn't give you exactly what you want, you can still chose individual classes, but I've found it helps in giving you an idea, and avoiding clashes.

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Um, i just looked at the info things for the 3 maths courses, the easy one, MATH1031 Mathematics for Life Sciences says that students should have scored at least 60 in hsc mathematics, hmm, a bit easy for a 4unit student.
Um, the middle one MATH1131 says that students should have scored a combined makr of 100 between 2unit and extmaths, seeing as i got 64in ext1 and 60 in ext2, i still got above 100(with 124) even though one of them is 2unit. So i should be alrigth with this one, not to easy, and not hard.

The last one Higher Mathematics 1A(MATH1141) says that students should have scored a combined mark of 186 between ext1 and ext2.
Seeing as i got 124, i am a fair bit below 186. hmm, this might be to hard for my liking.

Also when considering difficulty, i'm looking at transferring into medsci(this was my 1st pref) after one year, and to even apply for a transfer i need a credit average, so i dont want to extend myself to the level of not being able to cope, so I don't know about the higher one, but the middle one i think is the way to go.
So that kinda leaves one course to go, hmm, do you have any ideas about those mysterious ones??

Thanks for the help by the way, I massively appreciate it.

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
Sorry, you added to that last post while I was writing mine. :)
GEOS is geology, so you'd be studying the environment, planet Earth, etc.
HPSC is history & philosophy of science, stuff like Darwinsm, bio-ethics, etc. It's like Arts stuff, only about science.
When it comes to choosing what else to do, well, if you'er aiming for med sci then maybe pick units you know they've got in common so you'll get credit for them.
I've been through the transfer merry-go-round once or twice (or several dozen...), pick the easy ones, the ones you can do best in. The uni doesn't care what units you've done, as long as you've done well in them.

Last edited:

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Ah yes the major, Microbiology.

In Medical science its called microbiology and immunology.
Also there is a major called medical microbiology and immunology in the BSci.

I'm certain of having either;
-Microbiology, or
-Medical microbiolgy and immunology.
But I will only be in Bsci for a year so i dont know how that affects things.

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
Well, you could do BABS1201 since that's in med sci. From the looks of it there's nothing in stage 1 of med sci that you can't do in the BSci. So you could pretty much do first year med sci in your BSci, then transfer to med sci, and be in second year.
If there are any unsw med sci students around who know any differently then chime in, but that's how I read it from the handbook.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
if you did 4u maths , i recommend take math1141 since its not that much different from math1131 and you get better lecturers and tutors (in my opinion).

psyc is always an interesting subject...i wish i took it last year.

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Ok, im getting confused now, im getting 24UOC and 36UOC thrown at me, how many do i enrol for now and how long do they go for?

Dam I can't do both chem, well could I choose either one, or do i have to do the first one(CHEM1011)??

BABS1201, thats not in the list of courses to choose, if you look a few posts back up there is no BABS at all, where did you come up with this and just curious where did you find the arts courses, all i have is what is listed a few posts up..?

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
So could I take both Mathematics 1A and Higher Mathematics 1A(so both MATH1131 and MATH1141)??

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
DraconisV said:
Ok, im getting confused now, im getting 24UOC and 36UOC thrown at me, how many do i enrol for now and how long do they go for?

Dam I can't do both chem, well could I choose either one, or do i have to do the first one(CHEM1011)??

BABS1201, thats not in the list of courses to choose, if you look a few posts back up there is no BABS at all, where did you come up with this and just curious where did you find the arts courses, all i have is what is listed a few posts up..?
Relax, breathe... it's 24 UOC a semester. I don't know where you got that list but you can enrol in BABS1201, just type it in and it'll come up. As for the arts units have a look through the unsw handbook,
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/2007/index.html
Also have a look through a what you can do in science, units and majors wise.

Last edited:

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Stage 1
BABS1201 Molecues, Cells and Genes (6 UOC)-Done
SCIF1111 Perspectives in Med. Science (6 UOC)
ANAT1521 Anatomy for Medical Science (6 UOC)

PLUS one of:
CHEM1011 Fundamentals of Chem 1A (6 UOC)-Don't need.
CHEM1031 Higher Chemistry 1C (6 UOC)-Done

PLUS one of:
CHEM1021 Fundamentals of Chem 1B (6 UOC)
CHEM1041 Higher Chemistry 1D (6 UOC)

PLUS one of:
BIOS1101 Evolutionary & Functional Biol (6 UOC)
BIOS2021 Genetics (6 UOC)

I have got BABS1201.
I could only find SCIF1110-Perpectives in Medical Science 1 , is that counted as the same as SCIF1111.

I also looked for ANAT1512 but could only find

ANAT2111, ANAT2151, ANAT2241, ANAT2601, ANAT3131, ANAT3231, ANAT3411, ANAT4508, ANAT4708. None of them mention Anatomy and Medicine like ANAT1512.

Also what happens about CHEM1021 and CHEM1041. I have to choose one but can't find it.
I also cannot find the BIOS ones.

Thanks your saving me :)

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Ive jsut found on a website that stage one is made up of thw whole year and that there is 2 sessions(or semesters).
So for the first semester all i need is;
Molecules,cells and genes-which i have
Chemistry 1C, which i also have.
Perspectives in med,sci which i cant find, can I do it??.
And it also says elective, hmm, can i take like a course thats required in second year medsci, so that i can get credit for it(or something else along that line of crediting courses later)??

Thanks.

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
DraconisV said:
Ive jsut found on a website that stage one is made up of thw whole year and that there is 2 sessions(or semesters).
So for the first semester all i need is;
Molecules,cells and genes-which i have
Chemistry 1C, which i also have.
Perspectives in med,sci which i cant find, can I do it??.
And it also says elective, hmm, can i take like a course thats required in second year medsci, so that i can get credit for it(or something else along that line of crediting courses later)??

Thanks.
SCIF1110 is only for med sci and medicine students, according to the handbook, but there doesn't seem to be any restriction for SCIF1111.
For electives, you might as well pick something you can get credit for, but I don't know about picking second year units, they might have pre-requisites.

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
In the academic rules it says this;

"No student may normally commence Level II courses until 24 Level I units have been successfully completed unless approved by the Program Authority."

Does level 2 mean, year 2, if it does then I cannot do that. So hmm, what would the elective be then, any suggestions if this is the case??

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
It that's what 'Da Man' says, then go with it. Apart from MATH1041 (don't know which semester it's in), looks like you're pretty much free to do what you want, from the science faculty.

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
I've added in CHEM1031,BABS1201 and MATH1141, i've organised them so that are there are no clashes. but i dont know what do choose for the last course should i go for that cosmos and culture one. It is 6UOC and only has 3contact hours, soudns pretty good, but i dont know. hmm???

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Thanks for that Iruka. I've looked at those pages and have noticed that all the stage one courses have the name(e.g.BIOS), followed by 1XXX, and the year 2, by 2XXX, and year 3XXX. Could I take these 2XXX, and 3XXX in the first year(or even first semester of the first year).

This is what it says for
stage 1 in the major Microbiology
CHEM1011, CHEM1021, BIOS1101, BABS1201
Plus 6 uoc from: MATH1031, MATH1041

I've got BABS1201,CHEM1031 and MATH1041. So all i need for the requirements for the first year for the major of microbiology is BIOS1101, but I can't find it anywhere where im searching. Is there a reason why, also if i cant take it in session 1, could I take it in sessions 2?? Wait i have CHEM1031, but it says CHEM1011 or CHEM1021, Is it ok to have CHEM1031 and it counts as CHEM1021 as it is like an advanced one(e.g. for CHEM1031 to count as both CHEM1021 and CHEM1031 when looking at requirements.??)??

If i transfer to medical science, i will major in microbiology and immunology. What woud be wiser to major in in my first year;
Microbiology or
Medical microbiology and immunology???

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
BIOS1101 is in second semester.
If a second year course says that either CHEM course can count as a pre-req then it would. You should really have a look at the handbook, it'll say what courses need what, what the progression rules are, and what semester they are held in. Neither CHEM lists the other as prohibited in the handbook, so I'd reason that means you can do both, but you're right about one looking like an advanced form of the other. If you're really unsure then you should e-mail the faculty about it, that way you're covered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)